You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: The Weird Dog At My Great Aunt's Funeral

Real Ghost Stories

The Weird Dog At My Great Aunt's Funeral

 

This happened at the end of May, a week before our move upstate N.Y. (The Ghost in my New Haunted House). Instead of school finishing in the middle of June, it finished at the end of May. My mom married this really nice guy named Frank and he moved in with his daughter Valerie (17) so our tiny apartment became even more crowded, and that's why my parents bought a huge house upstate New York.

I came back from school relieved that school was over and that I was finally going to have my own room and a lot of space. I didn't really have any friends here but I already have a best friend upstate. Her name is Nikki and she goes to the same school and class as I do because my mom already signed me up for school there. It's a really small school because there aren't a lot of kids in that neighborhood. Nikki lives three houses from me. I met her when we went to see the house.

So there I was sitting on the couch imagining how great my summer vacation would be. That's when I found out that my great aunt had passed away. I wasn't very close with my great aunt but my mom was. And since everyone else was going, I decided to go too.

Driving from Maine to Connecticut, then back to Maine and then moving to New York was very stressing. It was a very long ride and I was bored to death. Since we were driving during the night through forests and fields, it was completely dark. I just kept staring into space while everyone else was sleeping. Then I saw an animal sitting in the middle of the road. And it looked like it was glowing! As we got closer I noticed that the animal was a dog. It looked like a light blue glowing Labrador. And we ran it over! I looked back but the dog was gone.

About two minutes after the dog incident my step dad pulled over. I asked him what was wrong and he said that there was something on the road a minute ago but now it's gone. I didn't say anything about the dog for the rest of the ride. After hours of driving we were finally in my mom's hometown. It was a small, old suburb in the middle of a field. We got there at six in the morning. I was really tired. It was a day before the funeral so Valerie and I slept until nine.

I met this girl. She lived next door to my mom's old house. She's a year younger than me but she was way more adventurous than me. I'm American/French/Polish and there's this tradition that when a person dies, the whole family gathers in his/her house on the night before the funeral and prays. So while everyone was at my great aunt's house my friend and I decided to take a midnight walk because we needed to get some fresh air.

Just as we were passing my aunt's house I saw that glowing dog in front of us again. And this time it was growling at us! I screamed "RUN!" and started dashing the other way. My friend just looked at me and said "Mandy, what are you talking about?" I looked back and all I could see was a dark road, a light coming from my great aunt's, and my friend staring at me as if to say "Are you crazy?" I was sure I saw a dog there. My mom walked out of the house and told me to go home and get some sleep. When I got home I could see a light in the living room which meant Valerie already came back. I changed into my pajamas and Valerie and I headed for the bedroom. This was a one story house and it only had one big bedroom, a living room and a kitchen. I couldn't fall asleep. I kept thinking about the dog I saw today. I'm pretty sure it was a ghost.

It was morning and we were all getting ready for the funeral. Then my parents went to my great aunt's house once again. We walked really slowly to the cemetery and behind us we could see everyone else also heading there. Just as the coffin was being put into the ground, I saw that dog once again, this time sitting by my feet. But the weird thing is that I didn't feel scared anymore. I felt happy and I don't know why.

We moved three days after the funeral. Our new house is really cool. (Read my previous story) But I swear I saw that dog again in our backyard-I haven't seen it since then.

Thanks for reading my story!

Other hauntings by rubyrose_99

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Connecticut

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rubyrose_99, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

no_average_angel (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-22)
That was a very scary and kind of touching story! It might have been your great aunt who came to visit you and took the shape of a dog but it also might have been an old dog of hers who came back to visit! Who knows? ❤
Tabby_Cat (15 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-31)
I don't think that was your great aunt. It was probably an old dog that she used to have and loved very much. He probably came to say goodbye to her! 😁 But I dunno... I could be wrong. How about you ask your mom if your great aunt used to have a dog a long time ago? Maybe as a child? That might explain a few things.
bossymiss (1 stories) (30 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-31)
Did you aunt ever have a dog it could of been one or the only one of hers? 😕 bye ❤
ghostfreak14 (2 stories) (44 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-23)
maybe that dog was your spirit animal or something and it came back to help you...
angel_from_heaven (20 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-21)
That's really scary! Maybe the dog was your great aunt, she came to visit you and took the shape of a dog! 😊 ❤
Katona1700s (8 stories) (168 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-21)
I am not sure what to say. Maybe the dog was waiting for you when you left your home for your auntie's. The dog could have been a guardian that was waiting for you, I don't really know how to put it. I hope you keep us updated

Katona1700s ❤
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-21)
Hi Rubyrose. This was a very interesting story. I realy enjoyed reading it. It does is a spirit but whos spirit? Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-20)
Hey Rubyrose_99! I am very glad to hear from you again! Thanks for sharing this interesting story with us!

My opinion of that dog is that it might be your great aunt's or it might just be a friend of your great aunt's. It could be that your aunt liked dogs and like DUnknown said, your aunt might have come in that form. You had said that your mom knew and was attached to your great aunt quite a lot. So why don't you ask your mom if she had a dog or something? Anyway, please keep us updated if anything unusual happens!

Biemaster
BboyFreeze (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
Don't worry, I believe that it was her spirit, which is to protect you and your family. Maybe you got the ability to see 'her' and feel 'her' karma, that was why she picked you. You know, not every body is able to see ghosts. So God bless you. Don't worry that much, and you should be happy that she can be with you. She don't want to show up, maybe because she did not wish to scare you off. What a loving great aunt you got. ❤
rubyrose_99 (4 stories) (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
thats possible. But no I wasn't close with her. I have only seen her three times in my whole life. She was my moms aunt and she was preety close with her.
DUnknown (4 stories) (65 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
"Reincarnation"... 😲
People say that we are reincarnation of living things in the previous life-either the 4 elements (water, earth, wind and fire) and/or animals/plants.
Your Auntie must have taken the form of a dog to let you know that she will always be there to protect you and never be afraid (in some way). The growling explains that She wants you to go back to the house during the wake/mourning and participate with the prayers for her safe easy passing... Is she your favorite Auntie? You must be really close to her that's why she picked you for her to show up.
Anyway, nice story. Keep us posted!
God Bless. ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: