You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Job At The Hospital

Real Ghost Stories

My Job At The Hospital

 

When I was 19 I was studying accountancy at the University of South Africa, part time. I also worked as a bookkeeper for a medical company. Our offices were situated on the premises of a rehabilitation hospital in Auckland Park in Johannesburg. The hospital specialised in rehabilitation ranging from addicts to people learning to use prosthetics after amputations and such. Before that it was an old mining hospital. Our offices were situated in what we believed was the old laundry area of the old hospital.

One of my tasks included supporting the Financial Manager with the monthly reports. This often included working late hours around month end. Sometimes even until 12am. Very often when working these later sessions, I was the only person present. Only occasionally was the manager present.

Our offices were basically one large hall, with dry wall offices built along one side for people like myself, and the department heads, who dealt with confidential information. The rest of the hall was an open-plan work-floor.

Very often when sitting alone at night I would see a shadow pass by my open office door at least once and sometimes twice first moving in one direction and then the other. Sometimes I would even hear footsteps but not all the time. I perceived the shadow, which was often only seen in my peripheral vision in the space above my monitor, to be about the height of a human and shaped like an upside down egg. The shadow was black with a semi transparent aura for want of a better word.

I never felt any fear when I saw this movement and I always felt that the figure was moving purposely and not just randomly passing by. I never felt any temperature changes or any strange feelings that anything at all was out of place. I did experience the same feeling of sensing a presence outside my door when the shadow passed as I would when a colleague passed by.

The first couple of times I even got up and walked to my office door and surveyed the entire open-plan work-floor which was always well lit. I would of course not see anything and I would return to my desk very puzzled but since I felt no fear, I would soon be working again.

I once mentioned these experiences to my manager. I was asking if there was any way that lighting from a car or something could be causing what I thought I saw. She told me that although she did not believe in these things or had seen or felt anything herself, she had also heard similar stories from some of the department heads who also had offices in the same row as mine.

I, of course, went to them as soon as I could and I took heart in hearing that they had seen and felt exactly what I had experienced. One lady, the department head for accounts receivable, had been so spooked by the passing shadow among other strange occurrences (each of which I will recount separately in future posts) that she refused to work a minute past 5pm and she would never enter our offices alone or with only one other person. Nothing had ever physically happened to her but she was very nervous and weary of anything vaguely hinting at the paranormal.

I still wonder, and probably always will, if the shadow that I saw was the ghost of an old employee or patient. I have the feeling that, and I honestly can't explain why, that the shadow was the ghost of a motherly old black lady who was an employee of the hospital. I don't think I will ever know for sure, but I'd love to read your comments.

Other hauntings by staaldak

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, staaldak, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-26)
No offence taken,Staaldak-don't worry 😊. I'm aware of the expression myself and I know it's nobody's fault for using it. All I wanted was to set things straight. Thank you for going into the trouble of fixing that. I trully appreciate it!

As I said before, I'll be looking forward to your next submission

Tammy 😊
staaldak (3 stories) (12 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Thank you so much to everyone for making me feel so welcome and commenting on my story. It feels so wonderful to be able to share my experiences with people who have had similar experiences and are therefore less sceptical and judgmental.

Thank you to Rhodes68 for pointing out my error. I have duly updated my profile. Thanks again for setting me straight and I apologise for any offence I may have caused.

I hope to be able to post my next story in a few days. It will be titled 'My job at the hospital II'. Until then take care and stay safe.

Staaldak 😁
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Hi and welcome to this site. I realy enjoiyed reading your story. I can think of places to be more haunted then hospitals. Or ex-hospitals 😆.It is sometimes scary to see spirits in these places. But at the same time its sad to hear that they never crossed over. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-24)
Hello staaldak. I enjoyed reading of your experience and it's hard to say who or what that shadow was passing by your office door. I could only assume that by the continuous passing by in the office that it was more than likely an employee from the past who is no longer on this plan of existence. Maybe the employee loved working there and is just continuing his or her work as a nurse or doctor or whatever their position was at the hospital when alive. It could also just be an entity that is curious as to what you guys are doing there at night and just being a little noisy. Thanks for sharing your story.

SHELBY ❤ 😊
trau (4 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-24)
I really enjoyed your story. My mother has often told me of the experience she had in Somerset Hospital here in Cape Town.
Thanks for sharing and looking forward to your next post!
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-23)
Wow Sound like some one Died in that place a year ago and not know it dead yet... 😕 But no fear of those shadow that good thought it could be someone that died in that hospital.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-23)
Staaldak, although I fear this is going to be a LONG comment, I would like to start by saying: welcome to our site and thank you for sharing a most interesting experience with us. I'll be looking forward to reading all the rest of your experiences from your work place.

I just happened to glance at your profile page and I was impressed by the history of the hospital you work at. It comes as no shock that so much energy has been left behind.

It is very true that miners lived and worked in terrible inhumane conditions but I would like to assure you that, had they received half of the "Spartan treatment" my ancient ancestors received, they would have been more than lucky!

The following part of my comment is not meant as an attack of any sort so please, do not misinterprete my words.I'm simply trying to restore the damage that is caused either by Hollywood's tendency to borrow and then alter real facts for the sake of entertainment or due to various misinformative articles that simply touch the surface of things and not the substance.

Numerous sources have long now reported that "during the Hellenistic years, Sparta, maintaining a very tight bond with the Ptolemy in Alexandria (the most important medical center of the era), developed into an important center of teaching and practicing medicine-something which is also confirmed by related historical data and inscriptions such as:one dating back to the 2nd century BC, discoved on the island of Kythera.

Note that the Spartan doctor Archagathos was the first ever physician working as a surgeon in Rome when the Romans themselves possessed no medical tradition before him..."...and the reports go on and on.

"Endocrinology in Ancient Sparta"
Medical School, University of Crete, Heraklion, Greece.

My point here is to point out that certain ideology and expressions that have passed from one language to another do not necessarily speak the truth. Yes, you might be wondering... I was born and raised in Rhodes by I'm a proud child of Sparta!
TwistedWispersNeko (3 stories) (90 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-23)
That sounds interesting. Especially since your work is in an old hospital, its possibly a ghost of an employee, or patient. Either one of those sound more likely. Also, since you have no fear from it, I don't think its a dark entity. Possibly just a nurse, making her rounds, or a patient wondering around.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: