You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Opening Door

Real Ghost Stories

The Opening Door

 

My family and I have recently moved to North Carolina. It is only my mother, her fiance, my brother, and me in the house. We moved to a fairly new house that recently has had new landscaping and construction done.

I have noticed that every night around 12 to 2 a.m. The door in our kitchen swings open. This happens whenever everyone else in the house is asleep or in the back part of the house.

We have no pets and there are no loose animals in the neighborhood. There is no plausible reason for the door to open and no other door in the house has done this. There have also been no deaths reported to happen in or around my home. Plus all construction to the house has been well done and the door doesn't open at any other time during the day unless someone opens it.

My mother has yet to believe my claim of this happening because the same door is always closed by the time we wake up. Also there is no evidence of it being open unless you are near the kitchen when it does or hear the door creak open at night.

We have lived here for almost a year now and the door opening started about after a month we moved in. I don't believe there's anything threatening in the house but I do wish to know what might be opening the door. I will read all suggestions of what this might be.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Dark_Whisperer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kisho (2 stories) (60 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-02)
Alright, I just felt that with the understanding of the circumstances surrounding the events that Dark Whisperer displayed in their post, had there been something unnatural keeping them awake, they would have mentioned it.

As they didn't, it seemed a bit of a non-issue to me =^

I understand your curiosity surrounding the situation though, and apologize if my comment came off sounding rude or anything
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-27)
Excuse me, please, Dark_Whisperer, but Kisho's opening paragraph, I fell needs to be addressed.

Hello, Kisho. I asked why the awakefulness of this hour because perhaps there is something else going on, as WELL as the door opening on its own. Some other noise, some other vibe, some other FEEL to the home. In the event that something ELSE is awakening Dark_Whisperer, THAT also may be a clue as to what is occurring in the home in question.
It was not addressed, and I was curious.
Thank you.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-26)
Hello Dark Whisperer. I have only one question, have you ever seen the door open by itself or have you just heard what you thought was the door opening? I did enjoy reading your story, thank you for sharing it with us. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Kisho (2 stories) (60 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-26)
Honestly, I don't see how bringing Dark Whisperer's nighttime habits into this is important. Some people are just more nocturnal than others. I know I'd be up that late if I didn't need to work at 7 in the morning most days.

If I were you though, I'd set up a video camera to record that doorway throughout the night, try to catch it actually happening. Might even catch some EVP. That or bring out a book or something to bide your time with, and wait in the kitchen, see if it still happens (that way you'll know it's just a breeze if it is)

Either way, if it is a spirit, it doesn't sound like one that's particularly harmful - seeing as how it doesn't really do anything other than walk into/out of the kitchen every night. Maybe it's hoping to become corporeal and have a snack =^
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Hello Dark_whisperer. I know you said that it's all newly constructed but I was thinking exactly along the same lines as Kecoughtan. I also thought that it is possible that the humidity could warp the door during the day and as it cools at night the door loosens from the frame and opens on its own. It is odd that it happens every night at the same time but it could be that this is when it is the coolest and the door shrinks a little leaving room to pop open. Whitebuffalo has a good question. Why ARE you always up at that time at night when no one else is? Anyway, I would check a few things out first before I would think it was something paranormal. Also, do you not lock the door at night? I wouldn't think that the door could come open if it were locked.

SHELBY ❤ 😊
Lisamaxw (92 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
I agree with the others regarding "testing," but... My aunt and uncle bought a house that had once been owned by people who (according to neighbors) practiced "black magic..." When they moved in, they also experienced doors opening/closing on their own. Deadbolted doors would open by themselves during the night, and on more than one occasion, the police called because their infrared alarm system indicated someone was moving around in the house -- but the occurences couldn't be attributed solely to a single source (i.e., malfunctioning sensor). One night, the police called and told my uncle that the sensor outside their bedroom indicated that someone was standing there; but when my uncle (with gun in hand) opened the bedroom door, he saw nothing. My cousin and her husband performed a prayer/cleansing ritual while my aunt and uncle were on vacation and voila! They haven't had any issues since. Just thought I'd add my two-cents. (Hint. Hint.) 😐
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Like the previous posters, I think it is crucial at this early stage for you to be as objective and critical as possible of the evidence, Dark Whisperer. I like whitebuffalo's suggestion of testing in the spirit of Sherlock Holmes. Besides air circulation (drafts, heating/cooling ducts, etc.) an important thing to consider is the physical house. Is the door hanging level within its frame? You can check by opening the door and placing a line level on top. What type of locking mechanism secures the door? Is it worn or inapporpriate for the weight of the door? An unlevel door can open by itself. Being in North Carolina you know all about heat and humidity. Humidity can warp a door and also cause it to spring open, especially in conjunction with vibrations, etc. Good luck sorting this out and please keep us up to date on developments.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
I'm terribly sorry for echoing the previous posters. I hadn't read the other comments before commenting myself.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Although the door opening at the same time every night is something that raises questions and would definitely keep me alert, is it possible that during these hours, there's some kind of ventilation working or some other electrical device that could create, either a current of air, or vibrations which would open that door?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
There really are many things that may be going on here, Dark_Whisperer.
There may be vibrations running through the home (you may be surprised at how far a trains vibrations can reach, for example), drafts, (as ChrisB has pointed out) a ventilation system that creates friction, some of the construction work may not be exactly plumb...
There are many, many things to factor in.
On the other hand, reconstruction does seem to bring about some other changes as well.
I would suggest you turn into Sherlock Holmes. "Test" things, so to speak. Leave a coin out on a counter face up. Talk to yourself out loud. Put something light at the base of the door that would cause it to be just a tad harder to push open. Leave a light on. (Just be sure that it is not too bright and will cause the others to wake)

But I have to ask you: Why IS it, that every night you are awake between the hours of midnight and 2a.m.? No one else is up. Why are YOU?
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-25)
Well there might be a haunting but try to reason out some things. There may be a possibility that there are drafts in your house. I think it would be to early to say there are spirits in your home. Try figuring out in a logical way what's going on and then if there are no clues, try figuring who this spirit is. Try doing reasearch and take pictures. It would be a good idea to leave a camera on facing the door of the kitchen. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: