You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: A Strange Phone Call

Real Ghost Stories

A Strange Phone Call

 

This didn't happen to me, but happened to my dad, and he still can't explain it to this day.

I have 2 older siblings including a brother that is 5 years older than me.

When my brother, Billy, was 14 or 15, he was on the swim team at the high school. He had a best friend, Dusty, whom he'd been best friends with since they were babies. Our parents and his parents were also really good friends and our dads worked together. These two, however, were inseparable. If you ever couldn't find one of them, your first thought was to figure out where the other was.

My family was driving home one night from a swim meet that my brother was in. He was on the bus driving home as well, but Dusty was not a swimmer and was at home.

A man that my dad worked with called our car phone (this was before cell phones). The conversation soon became very sad and you could tell that my dad had become very-very upset over something. I was in the backseat with my sister watching as my mom continually asked him, "What? What is it? What happened?" After he hangs up, he tells us that Dusty had hanged himself and had died.

It was a very sad time after that as I'm sure you can imagine. I will never forget hearing my brother's cries when they told him when we met him at the school to take him home.

A few weeks later after things have sort of calmed down, my dad is laying in bed about to fall asleep. The phone next to his bed rings and he picks it up.

Dusty continually called our house asking for Billy. My dad immediately recognized the voice as his. The conversation as best as I can remember went something like this:

"Is Billy there?"

"No he's not here right now... Dusty, is that you?"

"Is he okay?"

"Yeah, he's doing alright..."

And that was the end of it. My dad is a huge skeptic and wouldn't make up a story like this. He swears to this day that it was Dusty that called him that night.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kirska, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

curious_sami (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-01)
such a sad yet sweet story, its a bit spooky but so much more lovely.
soundofwhite (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-03)
wow that was a really great story, I may have shed a tear:' (so sad how he died like that, I wonder if your brother noticed if he was acting odd lately. But I had a friend committ suicide and even up to a few hours before no one had a clue because she was acting like she usually did, happy and smily.
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-17)
That's an interesting story. Why did he kill himself to begin with? Did depression run in his family? Did your brother not notice his depression since they were so close and were around each other all the time?
Kirska (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-06)
Hitman, my brother seems to have weird happenings everywhere he goes. He just moved to a new place, and his roommate and my sister were chatting about weird happenings there. The roommate said the place must be haunted. My sister (who has lived with my brother) had this response: "This place isn't haunted. He is." I think she is right.
MattM (20 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-02)
What a sad story. I guess the fact that he called to ask about how his best friend was doing proves that there friendship is that of a deep bond that will hopefully last for a lifetime.
hitman8459 (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-28)
wow that's pretty scary. Did he ever call back? Has he ever tried to contact your brother?
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Hi Kirska, sorry to hear about Dusty, it is sweet to hear that he called to see how your brother was doing, it is weird how someone that was close to someone can still contact the person or people they were close to, thanks for sharing your story. 😊 ❤
Dan (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-30)
This is a very good story. It's nice how Dusty still called back and everything. It's very uplifting and nice and gets us over the fact that he hung himself. It makes sense that someone so close to your brother still called your house and asked about him. It's nice to know that death doesn't stop people caring.
Thanks for sharing your story with us.
Kirska (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-28)
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I wish I could offer more detailed information, but this happened over 10 years ago now, and it's something I don't like to bring up with my parents as it affected them pretty deeply. In fact, I had completely forgotten about it (I was only 10 or so when this happened) until just a few weeks ago it came up in a conversation and I remembered. I am 22 now. I was eating at a restaurant with my husband and parents, and my mom and I started talking about the show Paranormal State and my dad brought it up again.

That is the only incident I ever heard of any sort of communication after his death. Because of this, I hope that he has moved on, and perhaps that is all he needed to move on.

I believe that he "called" to ask how he was doing because either he was not somewhere where he could see us (long distance call so to speak) or he just needed to hear the words said.
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-28)
Wow thanks for sharing this story with us. I just about cried, because my best friend passed away in sept 2007 and she use to visit me in my sleep. I'm sure this took place a while ago, but I know how he must have felt and I hope that he got through it ok. I do believe in the dead checking up on us, so I'm sure it was Dusty on the phone that. Again thanks for sharing! ❤ Jasmin
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-28)
Thank you for sharring this very sad story with us. Friendship is a bond that is so big that its hard to explain. Duty must have loved your brother very much and your brother must have loved him to. It is friendship that keeps many people together>I bet your father was glad to hear that Dusty still wants your brother to feel happy and safe. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-27)
Spirits have been known to use the phone. They can tamper with electrical things as well so being that they are energy without a body seems logical they they could use these divices. How they can have a voice with no physical vocal chords may have to do with the manipulation of sound frequency. I can't imagine what would possess a seemingly normal teen to take their life but it happens all the time. Personally I think it has to do with brain chemistry out of whack. Ususally people need a medium to get messages from the other side but apparently for Dusty he is able to use a phone. I'm sure it will eventually stop and I hope Dusty is not in turmoil on the other side. I think suicides know immediately that they did the wrong thing but I don't think they are judged on that action. I believe they work it out on the other side or they come back to earth to do another lifetime due to cutting short their prior lifetime. This of course is all speculation on my part. All we know is there are things that can't be explained so I believe this is further proof of an afterlife. Doesn't sound to me like your dad or any rational human being would make something like this up.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-27)
This is a fine story, sad, poignant, and uplifting. But I wonder: Why couldn't Dusty see himself that Billy was doing all right? Perhaps there was more to his message...
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-27)
It's better to tell Dusty that your brother is safe Kirska. Dusty might be your brother's only spiritual friend because he kept calling your dad about your brother is safe or not.

Keep in mind that he will protect your brother if he managed to get himself in trouble...
esha (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-27)
It seems as if like a few others users said, Dusty was trying to make sure Billy was okay. Its sad suicide that is, it affects more than the person whos life was taken, it affects everyone.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-26)
Creepy story, Kirska! Strange calls such as this always freak me out (and I LOVE to read about them).

I hope everyone got closure with this sudden death and that things are better now.

Thanks for this very good story.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-26)
HI, cool story. I think Dusty was making sure Billy was doing good sense he lefted.
GIRLIE 😁
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-26)
Hi kirska. What a horrible tragedy. The closeness that Billy and Dusty had obviously went really deep. I think Dusty was sorry for what he had done, after the fact, and new that it hurt Billy unbelievably bad. He wanted to make sure his best friend was okay. I'm curious to know what was said after your Dad said, "Yea, he's alright..." Did the phone disconnect or something?

SHELBY ❤
ElectricTNT (1 stories) (45 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-26)
Hi Kirska

I believe your dad. The bond between close friends like that of your brother and his friend Dusty, go beyond deaths door. This is in my opinion, another example of proof of life after death.
osyka (7 stories) (28 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-26)
Wow Kirska, this is an amazing story. I can't remember where but once I heard a similar story to this. I really wonder how they manage to communicate with a phone call but it's really amazing!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: