You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Outside My Door

Real Ghost Stories

Outside My Door

 

One late evening, not so long ago, my son and I were watching a Ghost Hunters marathon on TV. Needless to say, we were already spooked, but we didn't dare turn to another channel, as this episode was one of the better ones. We were cuddled together on the couch, relaxing in our pajamas. Other than the light emanating from the TV, we were in complete darkness.

The first noise we heard went almost unnoticed. I quickly dismissed it as the sound of a neighborhood cat prowling around our front deck, searching for a mouse or cricket to snack on. Then we heard another noise and yet another, each one louder than the first. Was it really a cat? Maybe it was several cats or perhaps even a mountain lion (I live in the desert and outside city limits). There was no wind that night, not even a breeze I could lay any blame on. It couldn't have been one of my dogs, as they were in the back yard in their kennels sound asleep. Could it have been a stray dog who wandered onto my property? No, as I had shut and locked the main gate before sundown. What could it be?

In less than a minute since hearing the first noise, my son and I simultaneously jumped off the couch, we were both literally shaking in our pants. My front deck is raised a few feet off the ground and it's quite large, about 12 x 12 feet. Whatever had stepped onto my front deck was gaining strength, it sounded like a rumble, an earthquake, a storm, a stampede! Whatever was outside making all that noise was massive, not a dog and nor a cat. Whatever it was had just now crashed against the door with a lot of force. This was the moment that I wished I had taken my father's advice and bought a shot gun to keep in case of emergencies. I'm currently not married, so situations such as these fall into my lap by default. My son grabbed onto me and asked me what was making all that noise. "I don't know..." is all I could manage to say.

I could have easily opened the blinds in the living room window to peer out onto the front deck to find out who or what was at my door. However, I didn't want to let whatever it was to know that there was anyone inside shaking in their pajamas.

A shot of adrenaline surged through me and "Super Mom" emerged. I grabbed my cell phone from the table, grabbed my son and ran into his room. From his room, I could peer outside his window in the cover of darkness and find out what was going on outside.

What I saw was unbelievable. It was a stampede alright. A goat stampede to be more precise. My goats, Maddy, Lucy, Sissy, Blondie and Ricky had somehow opened their pen and decided to pay my son and I a late night visit. As we spied them for a few moments, Ricky raised up on his hind legs and crashed against the door with his front legs in hopes of getting our attention. Perhaps they wanted a late night snack. The others were scampering about my front deck with no care in the world.

I was more relieved than angry at them. I went outside, took one by the collar and the rest followed in line back into their pen. That was enough of their shenanigans for one night. Luckily, we managed to catch the rest of the Ghost Hunters episode before it ended.

The moral of my story is that no matter how paranormal your circumstances may be, it could still very well have a natural explanation.

Other hauntings by Monica2010

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Monica2010, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

pandora0791 (2 stories) (38 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-21)
What a great story, you had me shaking in my pajamas (until I found out it was the goats of course, lol). I'm relieved you and your son are okay too and that it was nothing that could harm the two of you. Very well written. Nice!
Llamamamma (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-19)
Emma,

I LOVED your story. I'm a little behind in my readin & just got to it---sorry for the delay! Living on a farm in the boonies & being a Ghost Hunters addict (there's no other way to watch tha huddled on the couch in the dark!) I could SO picture this VIVIDLY! I could also picture our llamas & cows doing this-- (infact the cows have visited the deck more than once--just not with the bad timing!) Things are not always what they seem----especially at night in the boonies!
Thanks so much for sharing your story!
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
I enjoyed your story! Indeed we all do have those times when we think it is paranormal and it is not. 😊
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-11)
That was great, I really needed a laugh. I have to say though, a goat stampede would still scare me. 😊
MDK94 (19 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-10)
Good Story!
Living outside of a city in the "Boonies" can definatly make you act wierd at the first sign of trouble!
Best Wishes:>)
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-10)
Haha, great story. I was expecting it to be some sort of monster with the way you were building it up.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Ricky definitely did a great job attracting your attention and even more 😆!

I trully enjoyed your 'spooky' encounter. Thanks for sharing!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
Good thing that this wasn't a spirit. I am very interested in spirits just like everyone here is but if I were to see a spirit right this second I would probably close my eye! Why because I'm scared of spirits! I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Oli (2 stories) (74 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-08)
It wasn't ghost debunking because she never saw a ghost. Great story and moral though 😁.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
Agreed. Most things can be explained. If you have to reach too much then it may be more. I believe in the supernatural though I have had only one encounter that defies logic. Glad you were able to figure out what was happening.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
wow I love watch ghost hunters on wedneday night along with my boyfriend who love ghosts as I do and that sure scare you and made you thought what it was outside until you found out it was your goats...
Karyn (1 stories) (63 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
I got a great laugh at the end of your story! I love,"The Ghost Hunters" too.
Though I'm not brave enough to watch it with all the lights off! 😆
Emma2008 (4 stories) (110 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
Link - are you sure it wasn't a goat? I'm kidding. Thanks for the comment. I understand that somethings don't have a clear explanation as mine did. I'm fortunate in that respect. Anyway, where is your story about the guy in the kitchen? I'd like to read it.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
What a terrific job at Ghost Debunking!

Great story, thanks for sharing it with us!

God Bless!
Linkrules2008 (20 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-07)
But not all of them do have a very natural explanation. I saw a guy standing in my kitchen and then he dissapeared. Now that was definatley not a goat

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: