You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Midnight Awakenings

Real Ghost Stories

Midnight Awakenings

 

When I was about fourteen years old my cousin died of AIDS. His father lived in a town about six hours away and he came to Johannesburg for the funeral. He stayed with us during this time.

The night of the funeral I had been feeling strange since leaving the funeral. That night I went to bed while everyone was still asleep and woke up suddenly and had this intense fear - as if something woke me up. But the whole house was silent. Everyone had gone to bed. I couldn't sleep, the fear was too intense. So I got up to go watch TV and fell asleep there.

This happened every night since that night. This went on for about a few months. Then one day my mom told me we were going to go visit my uncle (the one who lost his son). I was petrified! I didn't want to go. My whole being was shaking in fear. But being fourteen my mom wasn't about to leave me at home alone. So I was dragged with. Needless to say I couldn't sleep and the same thing occurred to me, only everyone was still awake. I sat with my mom and uncle until they went to bed and I slept with the light on the whole night. I was also sharing the room with my mom's boyfriend's daughters. I just couldn't sleep. The fear I had experienced before was now worse. I hated that house. I read the bible and fell asleep with the Bible in my hands.

The next evening my mom gave me a sleeping tablet and it knocked me out, along with being so tired from the night before. But when I got back to Johannesburg I slept fine for the first time in months, and it has never occurred again.

Now I am a Christian and do not believe in ghosts but in familiar spirits who study your whole life. I believe when you die you either go to heaven or to hell, but it is the familiar spirits that are the ones that stay behind. But this experience has stayed with me and I keep wondering what was torturing me so at night. (It really felt like torture!) I also see demons, but that is another story.

Other hauntings by princessroe

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, princessroe, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Hello, princessroe.
I have got to say that the last paragraph typed has me ready to ask you a LOT of questions once you post a story about that, if you do. Just a warning for the future 😊.
I do not know how you dealt with the illness that took your cousins life, but it really sounds as if you were very empathetic with his plight. AIDS is not an easy death. Nor is it a pretty one. Perhaps, in what you know AIDS to be, you were feeling the emotions of the family in those last few short months.
I do not think this was a paranormal experience, but one of extreme stress. Once everything calmed down, and you were heading home, all things just seemed to iron itself out.
Unless there is something else...?
Thank you.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-23)
I'm terribly sorry for your loss! It's really devastating to lose a beloved family member at such a young age.

Reading through your story carefully, I realised that the fear for the death of someone so close to you (Was it maybe the first time you experienced anything so tragic?) and especially of someone so young and before his time caused you to believe that you had had a paranormal experience.

It takes time for anyone to come to terms with the physicality of life so, take your time to accept things and pray that your cousin has successfully crossed and is now living an ever-lasting life!
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-22)
My Best friend fall ill when a very close member of the family dies. When her husbands grandmother did she was ill for about 4 months, she could not eat, sleep, she would not talk to anyone it really did effect her, it was the first death and funeral she had been to. Ema id totally right in saying death effects people in different ways.

Look forward to reading more from you.
princessroe (6 stories) (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-22)
Thank you for your comments. I wasn't particularly close to my cousin and the last time I had seen him was about ten years earlier, but he did live with us for about a month or two when I was 3 or so. It could've been psychological, but at that time it felt like more. I will post some of my stories about demons later. Right now I am being attacked by one so I will wait a bit until I am a bit stronger, I don't think they like what I do! My mom is going away next week and I will be alone at home so I will wait until she comes back before I post so that they don't have a field day!
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
Hello princessroe. I believe you got stressed out over the death of your cousin and stress can do some strange things to you. When you came to terms with your feelings then you had no more problems. It seems your problem was psychological, not paranormal. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
I think the familiar spirit theory is bogus but that's me. I know what Christians feel about ghosts but even Jesus and the apostles believed in ghosts. The walking on the water incident made the apostles think they were seeing a ghost and when Jesus returned from the grave He had to eat to prove He wasn't a ghost. So apparently they knew ghosts existed. Guess it just depends if you think they are human or inhuman. The witch that had a familiar spirit (demon) was freaked out to find out she could summon Saul for Samuel. Probably means until then she was a fake medium and knew it. So God allowed this exchange to take place. While we are not to seek information from the dead it stands to reason they can if God allows it, to make contact with the living. I think many a grieving parent that had some validation from a child that has passed is God's way of helping us cope with loss. I highly doubt it's demons having some fun at our expense. Then again I don't believe in demons. God is good. God has no duality. We make that duality because we also have an ego and pride. We need to seek the Oneness that has always been and that is all Good, all God. To me Jesus made that connection available because He understood that all God wants from us is love and we are to extend that love to all. If we can only love conditionally we are not like God. If God can only love conditionally He is a lot like us.
Emma2008 (4 stories) (110 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
Had you ever experienced a death in your family before or someone really close to you? Death of someone close to you can leave a lasting impression. The reality of death is something disturbing especially to younger people and can manifest itself in unusual ways, like fear and inability to sleep. I believe this is all you experienced and nothing paranormal, at least not until we hear about your demon stories.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: