You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Grandparents Final Visit, After Their Own Funeral

Real Ghost Stories

My Grandparents Final Visit, After Their Own Funeral

 

This account was partially extruded from an entry written in my mother's diary in 1973 when my mother was 14 years of age. It was her sixth entry to do with the paranormal in her expansive collection of macabre recollections. Some of this is also taken from the less well preserved depths of my own memory.

This story covers the final visits my grandparents on my mother's side paid to the family (Some of you may remember my story about my grandfather's ghost on my father's side).

In 1973 my grandmother died of cancer of the ovaries in the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast. The emotional impact of her death on her immediate family was proportionate to dropping a bomb; she was described by many family members as the "glue which holds the family together." My mother, who was only 14, was devastated and she became the 'mother' to her one year old sibling.

My mother found out about the death in an incredible fashion. It was traditional at that time that the children were not informed of anything serious because children were not considered fit to hear about 'adult' issues, so as a result my mother was not in possession of the knowledge that her mother was terminally ill.

On the day of her mother's death, she was tending to the needs of baby sister while her father was at work when an "odd cold appeared even though there was no wind..." Footsteps of heavy soled boots were heard thudding steadily on the rough paving which encircled the small council house where they lived. This was a common sound to her since her mother frequently wore the practical shoes. Even though my mother was unaware of the fatality of the cancer she knew she was in hospital; she investigated and saw her mother walking by the front of the house. "There she was, completely normal with her usual dour look on her face as she walked with those boots across the front of the house."

Simultaneously to this, the telephone chimed and she jumped in surprise of the noise which was emanating out of the open window and her mother had vanished. The phone call told of her mother's death.

My mother then phoned another close relative to pass on the dreary news; it was her aunt, her mother's sister. "I phoned Auntie Mary while drying my eyes because I had been crying so much. She answered and I said the mummy was dead and auntie replied, 'I know I saw her at my kitchen window.'"

This section of the story has pieces of my own recollections in them: It was 2003 and I was 11 years old. My grandfather was terminally ill with bowel cancer. I was contacted one day at my school and was informed that he had quietly passed on in his sleep. I was collected and hastily transported to the Causeway Hospital in Colerain to meet the family and see my dead macabre corpse. The usual ceremonies of a death were conducted; arranging funeral directors etc. The body was taken for the funeral preparations while we were left with the task of driving home and dealing with our shock and crushing grief. Since my entire immediate family was over, my two brothers and their wives, my mother and father and my aunt and her daughter, we had to take two vehicles. I was in the vehicle with my brothers and sisters in law and we were visited by a strange blurred presence which only I could see which sat on the seat beside me; half inside my brother who was shifting uncomfortably and saw nothing. It was not completely clear but I saw it was my grandfather and it was sitting in the place in the car he always sat. The apparition vanished after a short while. I considered myself honoured.

Meanwhile in my mother's car; I will let her words do the talking: "A smell appeared and I recognized it, it was TCP which was daddy's smell, he always smelled of it. Pamela (my cousin) panicked because she also sensed it, it was not an ordinary smell but it had the chill which comes all the time when things like this happen and we all felt him and I started to cry."

TCP is an antiseptic which he used to sterilize his false teeth so it was what he always smelled of.

Even death cannot stop people who loved us saying goodbye.

Other hauntings by niallacaldwell

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, niallacaldwell, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Your last sentence has said it all, niallacaldwell. Thank you for this story. After all, what is the afterlife, but just a change in geography?
Thank you.
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
What a beautiful story. You're right, even death cannot stop people who loved us from saying goodbye. After my mom died last year, I was lying in bed, crying, trying to get some sleep, when I felt a distinct, wet kiss on my forehead. My mom always kissed me on the forehead when I wasn't feeling well. I know that it was her, saying "Bye for now..."
Thank you for sharing your beautiful story with us!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
I think your last words said it all for me Niall! Love is a powerful, everlasting bond that transcends the limits of time or space.

I'm sure your grandparents are always with you, looking after their family.

Thank you for another great entry!
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-24)
Hello niallacaldwell. This is one story that is close to the heart. Thanks for sharing it with us. Jude 😊
9samo9 (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-23)
man that story was great that I almost cryed nice story 😊 ❤ I showed my family thisstory one by one they all liked it
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-22)
Hello niallacaldwell. Thank you for sharing another one of your stories with us. It seems that when our love ones wants to say their goodbyes, they always find a way. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-22)
What an absolutely beautiful trubute to your grand parents.

It still amazes me how those we love can find ways to let us know they are okay and they love us even after they pass on.

Thank you for taking the time to share these stories with us!

God Bless!
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-22)
Hi, I read your story and it reminded me of something that happened to me when my grandpa passed away, which he passed away September 18th 1992, which that is a story I hope to post on here soon, after reading your story. But anyway I do believe that just because they are gone don't mean they can't come back and tell the ones they love goodbye. Sorry to hear about your grandpa, I know how it is when you are close to someone.
Thanks for sharing your story. 😊 ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: