You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghost In Our Attic

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost In Our Attic

 

I'm new to this site and have been really enjoying (and dreading) the stories I have been reading so I wanted to share my experiences with you guys. My name is Joe. I'm 24 years old living in eastern Pennsylvania. When my younger brother and I were kids (he is 3 years younger than me) we knew our house was haunted. As all kids did we bragged to our friends about the strange things that happened in our house. Each of us all trying to out do each other with a scarier tale. As kids it was all normal because we "knew" ghosts were real.

Now as an adult remembering those tales and experiences I find myself trying to explain some of them on a logical level... Those blurred with time are the easiest to come up with some kind of explanation but those that can't be explained really get me thinking.

The following is my recollection of some of those events. I remind myself I don't believe in ghosts... But then I tell myself to tell that to the eight year old me.

We were deathly afraid of our attic as kids. To bet one another to go up there at night for any amount of money was insanity. There was nothing traditionally scary about the room. It was extremely hot in the summer, very messy and we used it as storage (summer/winter clothes, old toys, etc).

The only thing really scary about it was an old cubby hole that was closed off by this very small door (about 3 feet tall). The door itself had a cheap flimsy latch that would never stay up on its own but would always fall down keeping the door locked from the outside. It led to a place of the attic we never used. When we would peak in there it was pitch black. It had an extremely angled ceiling and some kind of packing material was all over the floor. We NEVER went inside.

Like I said it wasn't a scary place but just being up there gave you an uneasy feeling. We would usually never go up to the attic by ourselves without someone going up there with us. If one of us ever braved to do it the one who did would always find themselves running/tripping down the awkwardly winding wooden old stairs five minutes later. The best way I could explain it is whenever you were up there you just got this weird feeling that something was about to happen. I'm not sure if it was just paranoia but it would build up until you couldn't take it anymore.

When we did go up there together we would do it out of boredom. We would dig through the boxes, play with old toys... Whatever. We felt braver together and most of the time nothing ever happened when we were together - most of the time.

One day in the spring we decided to go up and dig for some toys. We ended up finding Hungry Hungry Hippos and placed it on the floor in front of the cubby hole. We sat on either side of the game with my left and his right facing the door, and started to play. After a few minutes of playing we heard a bang and the door shook as if someone hit it from the other side. We froze at once and stared at the door... A few seconds passed and suddenly a series of three louder bangs on the door caused us to get up and dart out of the room tripping over each other as we raced down the stairs to find our parents. We tried to tell them what happened but they didn't believe us of course.

Another occurrence happened one night when I was doing homework in my room. When I was finished I remember walking to my parent's room that was just down the hall from my own. It wasn't too late but I was tired and went in there to lay down with them. The room was dark but someone was lying under the covers. I jumped on their bed and put my arm around what I thought was either my mom or dad.

I don't really remember why I got up to leave but shortly after that I did get up and made my way downstairs. Sitting in the kitchen were both my parents and my brother. I didn't mention anything because I was trying to figure out what had just happened. Later I told my brother and he believed me. We eventually did go back to my parent's room (we slept in there occasionally as children) and there was the bed nicely made.

One occurrence just recently resurfaced in my memory (it actually hit me as I read another story on this site... It was weird) and it is also very bizarre. I was a huge Ninja Turtles fan as a kid and collected everything Ninja Turtles. Well I had these sparkling stickers that if I remember correctly came with Ninja Turtles trading cards. There was a section to the right of my door to my room where I would stick them in nice rows and columns.

One night we all came home from my grandmothers (we went there after school everyday and this particular night my parents worked late). I ran to my room and as I walked by my stickers I was shocked to see most of them completely scratched up and in tatters with pieces of them scattered all over the floor. It looked as if someone took sharp claws and scratched at them furiously. I called my parents up and showed them what happened. They were puzzled too but dismissed it blaming it on my dog. Now... I can't completely dismiss this idea but the thing that bugs me is that we had a very very small dog at the time. And if my memory is correct most of the scratches were easily out of his reach. I live in the same room and I recently looked at that spot to back this up.

This memory disturbs me the most. One time my brother bribed me to clean his room for a dollar. I took the bribe and starting cleaning his room one night. While cleaning his room I put the strap of these giant yellow toy binoculars that my grandfather bought us around his door handle where we always kept them (it always made the loudest noise when opening and closing the door). Halfway through I took a break. I sat down on a chair about eight feet away from the door with my back towards it and started to play with those paddleball toys (the ones with a flat wooden racket with a red yellow ball attached with a rubber band).

All of a sudden I heard the door knob turn very quickly making the binoculars bounce against the door. I quickly turned around and looked. The door remained closed but the binoculars swayed a bit. A few seconds went by and I saw the doorknob quickly turn back and forth a few times making the binoculars bounce around violently. I darted out of the chair and no more than a second later I pulled the door open and no one was there. I freaked and ran downstairs as fast as I could. Again there were my parents and my brother sitting in the kitchen. Even though there was no chance someone could have ran down the stairs that quickly without me seeing or hearing them, they assured me they were in there the entire time.

Years later my parents met up with our old landlord who we had lost contact with. He visited our house one evening and he and my parents had some beers out back. As I was playing outside alone I caught something like "I never did tell you guys what happened in that attic did I?" At these words I started to edge closer still pretending to play so I could listen to the conversation.

According to our landlord, many years before we moved in, an old man owned our house. He lived in our house alone. He was also very frail and weak. One summer day he went into the attic and into the cubby hole to do some cleaning, leaving the door open behind him. As he did it's assumed the door slowly closed on him and that flimsy latch dropped locking him inside. Being very weak he was unable to break the door down and eventually died of heat in there. He was found many days later.

I just got out of college and we still live in the same house. Many things happened in that house when we were children. Like I said I can somehow logically explain some of them but the ones above leave me in the dark. Were these events just the imagination of a child or a cry for help from the ghost of that old man trapped behind that door?

The most ironic thing is that my brother relocated his room to the attic about two years ago...

Other hauntings by resz

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, resz, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

LoveHateHorror (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
Does your brother have any experiences now that his room is up there?

The old man in the cubby was probably irritated by the loud noise Hungry Hippos makes, hahaha. I've heard of many crabby elderly ghosts!
missydee (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Hi Resz, Thank you for sharing your story! I enjoyed reading it. I would leave the cubbyhole door open so the spirit can pass on and be at rest. Maybe it will stop the haunting.
Just a thought.
Take care ❤
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
I have got to stop reading this site when hubby is working graveyard lol. Very creepy to say the least. Yes, I also think it was the ghost of the man that died there. Could just be residual haunting but that doesn't explain the other things that went on. The bed incident would have scared the bejesus out of me for life. My great aunt after losing her husband felt a cold presence lie down next to her in bed one night. My grandmother after losing her husband (I was not even born at this time) saw his hat go by the window that was on the first floor as it was always seen when he was coming home when alive. Guess grief could have done that to her and she halluciated it but she insisted that was not the case. My family is German and they always believed in ghosts so I know had I ever seen anything they would have understood. Glad I never did. I loved your story and even though I have been tapped on the arm in my attic I wouldn't go up there after reading this story lol.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
Hello resz. Tell your brother if he hears the cubbyhole door banging to go ahead and open it- he may in doing so set the old man's ghost free it's worth a shot. Thank you for sharing your story with us and welcome to the site. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Sandy2008 (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
Hi
I think that the old man just wanted to warn you guys not to let the same happen to you (Get stuck in the attic). I think he enjoy having you and your family living there. Maybe the old man was lonely. Is your brother happy in his new room? 😉
resz (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
Hey everyone! Thanks for reading my story and for the comments 😁. Just wanted to answer some of your questions.

Brownie09, lilblackpom - Yup I made that connection too. I figured it was the old man behind the door either aware we were there and wanted help or some kind of reenactment that I've read ghosts do. The thing that scares me though is what if we actually had the guts to open that door that day... It creeps me out to even think about it. As for the bed the only connection I can make is that my parent's room is the closest room to the door that leads to the attic and it's the master bedroom so maybe that was his room at one time?

Bette31,gringabad,ChrisB - Yes, my brother and I have talked about this over the years and still do. It's one of those subjects that come up out of boredom when we have friends or company over. He's 3 years younger than I am but he remembers all this too and he has his own experiences.

Lilblackpom, DollyDagger - As far as I know my brother hasn't experienced anything since moving up there. I'll ask him though. And I have NO IDEA why he would move up there... I think he wanted more privacy but he has more guts than I do because there is no way in hell I would live up there especially having to stare at that door all night.

Biemaster - Thanks! Trust me the house still creeps me out. Let's just say I don't stick around in the dark anywhere in that house for too long and I rarely fall asleep without having at least the TV on. Otherwise I'll start hearing all kinds of stuff... Could be anything I guess but it still creeps me out!

Thanks again guys! I'll definitely post some of my other experiences soon. I just wanted to share the most unexplainable ones first but I have tons of stories. Including an experience my cousin had when sleeping over my house...
Dan (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
Hi and thanks for sharing this wonderful story. Kids are always more prone to sensing spirits, maybe that's why your parents never felt it. Or I'm guessing they never did as you never mentioned them having a moment of scared confusion on there.

I believe that your house was very much so haunted. The cards being scratched up and the lump in the bed were the disturbing things for me. They are both the only things I can't think of a logical explanation for if your family was down stairs.

Thanks a lot for sharing, I hope to read more from you soon.
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
Hi resz and thanks for sharing this very interesting story with us!

You sure had a lot of encounters! I'm surprised you all still stay there. If it were me, I would have been scared out of my wits! Nice story and well written. If you remember anything else, please do write back! Thanks!

Biemaster
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-28)
Hello Reszz and welcome. I realy enjoyed reading your story. It found it very creepy. I as bett31 wonder if you have talked about this with your brother. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
DollyDagger (4 stories) (31 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
That's an interesting story, but why would your brother move into the attic?
gringabad (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
That is interesting. I agree with bette31. You should discuss this with your brother.
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Hello Resz and thank you for sharing your story with us. For a first story, it sure was written well! Seems to me that the old man that died in the cubby hole is trying to get out by the knocking from what you have said happened to him. Has your brother had any incidents since relocating his bedroom to the attic? It would be interesting for you to post anything else on this site. Thank you for sharing your story with us and hope to read more stories from you, take care
bette31 (9 stories) (127 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
resz-thank you for sharing your story with us. Do you and your brother ever talk about the things that happened while you two were kids?
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Hi and Welcome to your ghost stories and hope you like the site, there are some interesting stories on here as you probably already read some of them. Back to the story, seeming after you finding out about by the lanlord, that the old man died in the cubby hole, I would say it was that old man thinking he was still trapped in there that, he was knocking on the door to try to get you and brother to open the door. As for the bed part I won't know how to explain it. Thanks for sharing your story. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: