You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: A Hug From Beyond

Real Ghost Stories

A Hug From Beyond

 

Looking back I have to wonder if it was a dream or if it was real. Let's say it felt very real. I've been hugged by many people in my life, but not like that. It definitely had a sense of "forever" about it. And the fact it came from my dead father only made it more meaningful.

Dad took sick in 1999 and spent the rest of his life struggling to deal with his health issues; he died in February 2001. He was a usually stout, independent man who prided himself in taking care of others. When he was reduced to a mere shell of his former self, my heart went out to him, but to me he was still my faithful protector.

After he died, a bit of me died, too. I missed him so much. I had seen him nearly everyday and knew his time was running out. I hate to admit it but I wanted to run away from what was coming. It hurt so much. Then a few weeks after he passed away, I had the most vivid dream (?) I have ever had.

I was sitting at a table with two chairs in a white room with no windows, only a door. At first, I wondered why I was there. I didn't have a clue where I was. I wanted to leave, but all of a sudden the door opened and my Dad walked in, dressed in the clothes he was buried in. Time stood still for a moment. He walked over to the table and sat down. It was wonderful to see him again. He looked like his old self, not frail from his ordeal. He smiled at me and I felt happy. I said, "I wish I was with you." He looked me straight in the eyes and said, "No you don't."

No other words were spoken. He got up from the table. I knew he had to go. I walked around to him and he hugged me so hard I thought my ribs would break. It was the best feeling in the world. I didn't want to let go and when I did, I was lying in my bed.

I looked around the room, but he wasn't there. My body could still feel the squeeze from his arms. I thought about what he meant to me and that I was so glad he let me know what I meant to him.

Other hauntings by BYLUYSTER

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BYLUYSTER, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

vidya_amani (2 stories) (78 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-24)
I do not think it was meant as a warning; but more like a message of hope.

If anything it could be a warning in the sense of "do not give up on life; your time is not done yet; keep on fighting; keep on shining; do not give up hope letting depression carry you away. When there is still time there is still hope might as well make the best of it".
monicar (4 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-17)
wow I got tears in my eyes right now the same happened to me in 85 when my pap passed away we wasn't talking before he passed and he came back to tell me he did lov me and everything was going to be ok
Joyce1963 (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-03)
ashleylesley, This same thing happened to me. I'm 47 now and this happened about 2 years ago. My grandpa was 90 and under hospice care in the nursing home. I had come from out of town to spend time with him before he passed away and had been with him every day, all day, for about 5 days in row. The day before I needed to return home, he was in a deep "sleep" and would not respond to us. I knew he was dying and I would never see him again. I didn't know if he could hear me or not, but I needed to say goodbye. Told him I loved him, held his hand for awhile, then gave him a hug, although he was not able to hug me back, I could feel him squeezing my hand.

I went to bed that night at my mom & dad's house. I laid in bed, and had not even shut my eyes yet. Grandma was in front of me and Grandma was behind me giving me a hug. His arm was under me, lifting me slightly from the bed and hugging me. Grandma was in front of me and it was like she was hugging me also. It was real.

Grandpa was in the nursing home that night and passed away about 5 days later. Grandma was sleeping in her apartment. And, I was at my parent's home. We were in three different places, yet they were both with me for a short while that night.

Mom and Dad now sleep in the room where I had this experience and Mom told me that she has seen Grandma in there 3 times since then. Grandma lives with them now, so Mom got up all three times to check on her and she was sound asleep.

I'll never forget this experience and the final hug I received from my grandpa. I can't explain it, but am very grateful.
Thedreamer (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-10)
I all most cried... That is a sad but happy story. I am so happy that you got to see your dad!

❤ Selinda ❤
Maiah13 (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-20)
I had a somewhat similar experience. My dad passed away in Dec 2004. I couldn't come home to his funeral as I was into my last month of pregnancy and couldn't travel 20 hours of flight to be with him (he's half a world away. I was distraught, being so far and since I haven't seen him for 3 years prior to that. At the same time, I am a bit psychic and deeply terrified of ghosts so I told him that if 'he visits me' he shdnt take me by surprise. He did it in a dream. A couple of days after he died, I had a vivid dream I got a call from him at work. I remember feeling angry in my dream thinking someone had played a bad prank on me by saying my dad had died, since he sounded very well and happy on the other line. I had to ask him twice if it was indeed him, and both times he said yes. He then told me 'that everything is alright with him, and that I shdnt worry'. The line went dead in my dream and I woke up with a start feeling happy in my heart that he chose to say goodbye this way.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-11)
Hi and thank you for sharring this story with us. I realy enjoyed reading this story. First off I am very sorry for your loss. It is always sad to hear of someone close who had to cross over. But It is nice to know that they are at a better place. I hope to hear from you soon and take care.
BYLUYSTER (11 stories) (78 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-10)
Thank you all for your heartfelt sympathy. I must agree it was comforting to get that final hug. As for what "No, you don't." meant, I think he wanted me to make the most of the time I have left in this world, which I have tried to do. I will be sure to heed any warnings that come to me in my dreams. 😊
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-10)
Byluyster, I think that a loved one can warn us of impending danger through our dreams. I've read several accounts on it. But, so far, I've never encountered it. Though, I have had many dreams of loved ones that have passed on. Some, very eerie. Some, very emotional, and touching. My advice to you would be: heed the advice you're given. Better safe than sorry!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-10)
My deepest sympathies for your loss. It must be comforting though to, at least, know that your loving father has crossed over to a better world!

May his soul rest in peace!

Thank you for a heart-felt story!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-10)
Wonder what he meant by "No you wouldn't"? Could it be that he meant your time for the next world was not at hand and you still have to fulfill your journey? His demeanor was happy and content but guess it was not meant for you to want to be with him before your time. Sorry for your loss but isnt' it wonderful that he was able to communicate with you and give you comfort.
lolita (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-10)
your dream was indeed real not just a dream, I had a dream like that with my fiances father, who I never met. He came in to my dream and gave me the strongest hug that I still felt it when I woke up, and it was just like you described, one moment I was hugging him and the next moment I was in my bedroom wide awake! As if I never slept. Thanks for that wonderful story!
BYLUYSTER (11 stories) (78 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-09)
To Annie and DeviousAngel, I'm glad you liked my story. It was something I will always cherish. I have had several dream reunions with people who have gone to the other side, but nothing like the one with my father. Do you think a loved one can warn us of impending danger through our dreams?
Annie (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-09)
What a beautiful story! You are indeed lucky to have gotten one last hug from your dad. Seems he wanted you to know how much he still loves you! I know you will always cherish that hug.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-09)
I'm very happy that you were given the chance to see your father again, and know that he is whole and safe. Thank you for sharing your story! Take care!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: