You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Pets Who Protect Us - Dead or Alive

Real Ghost Stories

Pets Who Protect Us - Dead or Alive

 

Everyone knows that a beloved pet leaves a special place in our hearts after they're gone, but do they try to protect us after they die? When my husband and I decided to move out on the farm in Southeastern Ohio, the kids wanted a dog. We had a total of three outside dogs while the kids were growing up. Yet, the last dog, Lucky, who got his name because our son picked him over the other 11 pups, couldn't have been a better companion for our son and daughter. Faithful, loving, and a good protector, he loved us all.

After the kids went off to college, he became my companion. Sadly to say, he took sick and died before his eighth birthday. I cried for days and I missed him so much. Yet, there were times when I felt his presence.

I'd been feeling sick off and on for several days. My husband was driving truck and I was alone in the house one night when something strange happened. I went up to bed and the next thing I knew I heard Lucky barking. I knew my dog's bark and in my sleepiness I felt extreme joy at hearing my old friend again. But then I remembered Lucky had died; how could he be barking? Fully awake by this time, I turned on the light. I felt really sick, weird even, and I managed to get downstairs when it hit me. Something was terribly wrong with our furnace.

I ran to open the doors and windows and shut the furnace off. It had been carbon monoxide that had been making me sick we discovered later. Had I not heard Lucky barking to warn me about the danger, I might not be here today. Once we replaced the furnace and all was safe, I never heard him again. I believe our faithful, loving pets do try to protect us even in death.

As a young child, my parents always had cats or dogs in the house and on a number of occasions those animals sensed unseen visitors and acted strangely. Maybe it was the house or spirits in that house who posed a threat to us, I don't know. But I do know that animals see things we can't see and try to warn us of danger.

When I was five or six years old, we lived in an old house that made creepy noises, especially at night. But it wasn't uncommon for my mother to hear the front door open and footsteps move across the living room floor while cooking in the kitchen during the day. When she called out, "I'll be there in a minute..." thinking it was a neighbor lady; only to find no one there, we looked at each other and shivered. This happened quite a lot, but when I woke up one night and heard our dog growling next to my bed, I strained to see in the dim night light and saw the shadow of a man. He was large and wore a hat and long coat. I quickly pulled the covers over my head.

The next morning I told my parents about the man. They just looked at me and then at each other. About that time the phone rang, my grandmother called to say my father's Uncle Jimmy had passed away the night before. He always sent greeting cards to my brother and me, laughed with us, and although he had a loud, gruff voice, the big man, who wore a black hat and long black coat, never scared us for a minute. But Tippy, our dog, didn't know that. She felt it was her job to keep an eye on us.

In that old house, we used the upstairs only for storage. For some reason, Mom didn't want to go up there and I wasn't allowed up there either. It wasn't until Tippy started barking at the foot of the stairs that Mom got the scare of her life. She told me to stay downstairs and she would be back in a minute. I didn't want her to go alone, but she insisted. After a few minutes, I called to her and got no answer.

I called again, "Mom!" Finally, she made her way slowly down the stairs, her face white and eyes fixed on nothing, said "Come, Brenda, let's get out of here for a while..." We quickly put on our coats, got my brother, and left. When my father came home, she said, "Pete, we have to look for somewhere else to live. I saw a woman upstairs today. It's not safe for the kids here. Tippy went crazy and now I know why..." We moved shortly after, but whatever it was followed us and the dog knew it.

Our new neighbor, Lola, often came over and walked in after calling, "Yahoo..." Then one day we heard footsteps on the porch and the door open; we didn't think a thing about it. Tippy started to growl and bark; suddenly we knew it wasn't Lola. No one was there. Over a cup of coffee to settle her nerves, Mom told Lola about the footsteps. She laughed, "Oh, it's likely just the ghost of the old man who used to live here. Don't worry about it, he wouldn't hurt a flea..."

But just like before, the dog started barking for no reason, wouldn't leave our sides, and looked at someone we couldn't see. Then it happened again. She was back. Mom lost her patience and said, "What in the name of God do you want?" Of course there was no answer, but she never bothered us again. Did we live in peace after that? Yes, until we moved again.

Other hauntings by BYLUYSTER

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BYLUYSTER, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-14)
I believe that you hearing your precious dog's bark, he was letting you know that there was definitely something wrong. Thanks for sharing your story. 😊 ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-05)
I have to agree with FRAWIN. Our Higher Power knows what it is that we can handle, and what would frighten us so badly that we would not take heed it's warning or message. Some of us need a big growling, ferocious looking bear. Some of us need to hear the flutter of wings only. Others of us need a visual reminder of the love that only a former pet can provide.
Thank you.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-04)
Sounds as if you have lived in some very active homes, or you are sensitive enough to know they are active. I agree, to a point that the animals saw and sensed some of the occurances, but... The humans in the home had to play some part, or you wouldn't have described see what you did, not would your Mom have seen it either.

I would be very curious as to the history of the houses/homes.
Thank you for sharing your story, I look forward to reading more!

God Bless!
rustyfan28 (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-03)
Hi I enjoyed reading your story. I live in southern ohio also. I also believe pets protect us in life and in death.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-01)
Hi Brenda. That's an amazing story of love and loyalty. 'Lucky' was just that for you - lucky. He must have been a wonderful companion and knew he was well loved. Animals are so sensitive and intuitive, they have amazing abilities. You've been fortunate to have your pets stay with you.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-01)
While pets (cats and dogs especially) are a great indicator of paranormal presences, I feel that warnings come from a higher source. This "source" uses whatever form necessary to get this message across to you. If you are more likely to pay attention to dearly departed "Fido" barking than you are to long dead "Grandpa Clem",then it uses Fido. This is just my theory, take it for what it's worth. Take Care and God Bless.

FRAWIN 😊
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-01)
Southeast Ohio is the most beautiful section of country in this entire nation.

GO BUCKEYES!
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-01)
Our beloved pets do let us know of danger. I was looking for a house to buy, went to this one place and I heard my dog barking(he been dead for years). I told my bro in law it was not going to be this place I heard my dog barking.
My bro in law thought I was nuts. A few days later that same house that I said I was not going to buy, the furance blew up in the house.
So now when I hear or feel my dead pets I know its for my own good to stay away. Your dog lucky did protect you too.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: