You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: I Think My Two Year Old Is Seeing A Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

I Think My Two Year Old Is Seeing A Ghost

 

We have always had odd little things happen around our house, especially after my daughter was born. Nothing big, just little things here and there, like when I was rocking her one day I felt someone squeeze my foot. It was a comfort squeeze and nothing more, but I was home alone with her. I always figured it was a passed away relative coming to see the new addition. Right after her first birthday, everything stopped.

Last weekend, we rearranged her room to make it more of a big girl's room, and started to get things together for her second birthday. The first night she was getting ready to go to bed she was crying and said that she didn't want to sleep in her room. I figured it was because of the change and told her she had to. She started to get frantic about it so I asked her what was wrong.

She said it was a scary room. I asked her what was scary and she told me her dolls were scaring her. We took out every single doll but she was still freaking out. We asked her what else was wrong and she pointed to hall and kept saying, "Scary grandma." I looked and didn't see anything. I asked her what she was talking about and she just kept saying, "Scary grandma" over and over. I asked her if she wanted me to tell the grandma to leave and she said yes. I looked over to where she was pointing to and said, "Grandma, you have to leave. You are scaring Libby and she needs to go to sleep."

My daughter immediately calmed down and went right to bed. We had the same exact thing happen last night except she was pointing to the closet, instead. Once we told grandma to leave she calmed down and went right to sleep.

I don't know if I can do if anything in this situation. I just hate the thought that my child is scared of her own room. I am sure that if anyone is in there they are just there to see her and not to harm or scare her, but I am still uneasy about it.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, anniann, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-09-27)
Although I'm here a little delayed, I'd like to thank you for sharing your experience as well as your concern with us.

I have read the previous comments and agree with the posters that your subtle reaction to the events is trully admirable! The last thing you need is to let your two-year old sense your fear.

I don't think that your "visitor" is necessarily a past relative-it may very well be a spirit attached to the house which seems to be quite gentle and I dare say protective of your little "miracle". She seems to pat you when you lull it to sleep and comes to watch over it when she's sleeping as if to check if all is ok. I understand though, that no matter how 'harmless' she appears, her presence is still unnerving. And yet, you must have noticed that her intentions aren't really bad. She leaves when you ask her to do so. Take note of that!

My suggestion is meant as a side-note to what the previous posters suggested: talk to the energy yourself. Even if you don't see her, your child does and knows she's there. Tell her that her concern for your daughter is much appreciated as long as she doesn't scare her. Talk to her as you talk to a flesh and blood person who's standing there in front of you. Let her know that the fear she causes to your child prevents it from sleeping. I believe she will listen to you and respect your wish. I would also suggest along with what Whitebuffalo suggested, to place any object that holds religious or belief value to you inside your child's room:if you're a Christian, use a cross if you're not anything you hold sacred. It will protect your surroundings and strengthen your resistence.

Good Luck!
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-25)
I think your daughter and my son has the same issue here. My son can see things I don't. Sometimes he will mention names that I don't know. Sometimes you will give something then it will disappear then if you will ask where is it he will mention a name. Two psychics already told me that I have to get used to it because my son will grow up seeing things that we cannot see.
autumnsmommy (4 stories) (98 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-25)
I"m glad that you are considering everything that everyone is telling you. We all have been there either we saw something when we were little or our children have seen it. My daughter still wakes up sometimes telling whatever she see to go away or stop don't do that. She has a mind of her own and is the baby so she knows how to stand up for herself. I agree with whitebuffalo, give her the power. Once she realizes that she can take care of it by herself it will make it easier for her to deal with it and get rid of it. Good luck and the best of wishes! If you need any advice or want to discuss it more in detail you can always shoot me an email!
anniann (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-25)
Thank you all for the great advice, and telling me that I am doing the right things. Sometimes it is hard to know if it is right or not.
We had the same thing happen again last night. I tried to get her to talk to the "scary grandma" and she wanted nothing to do with it. She just wanted me to make her leave. So I asked the grandma to leave and again my daughter went to bed. I did put up a dream catcher last night. I'm not sure if it helped or not, but I guess we will have to wait and see what happens tonight.
Thank you again for all of the advice.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-25)
Im glad that you got some very good advice from our members. I believe that they are the best you can get. I agree with you that it is hard for a parent to see a child being scared of something. And to that it is hard to help this child. I hope that everything works out for you all. I to believe that this isn't a harmful spirit. I think it might be looking after her. Thanks again. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
AussieGirl (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-25)
You could try talking to the gramndma, if your daughter let's you continue talking, as if in conversation without saying "but she didn't say that" or "what do you mean, that doesn't make sence" then you know that it's imagenary.:)
Easykiel (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-25)
"Scary Grandma"! 😨 I would have probably been more scared than the child! So kudos to you for reacting in exactly the right way.

For the moment it seems that asking the spirit to leave (whether it is real or imaginary) is doing the trick. Yes you have to do it every night, which I can imagine is quite troubling, but this sort of ritual helps a lot of children sleep easier. Think of it as the equivalent of checking in the closet and under the bed for monsters.
Cam (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-25)
My son did the same thing for several years. It started when he was about 9 mos. Old and went on at least until he was seven. He described family members that had died and told me there was a little boy following me around, describing clothes and even telling me their names. I had to go up almost every night and ask the spirits (sometimes as many as ten) to leave so he could get to sleep. They never had any message to convey, by the way. He said they told him they were just visiting.

If you are worried about ghosts in contrast to spirit visitations from family members that have passed on, take a container of salt and circle the house (outside) with a sprinkling. This only needs to be done once.

I commend you for your quick thinking and calm demeanor. It took a few times before I got used to it. It is likely that your child will grow out of it. Mine is almost eight and he still hears voices calling his name occasionally, but otherwise there is nothing. He freely tells people that he used to have spirits visit him at night. It is totally normal for him. I don't think he realizes that every kid doesn't see spirits.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
I missed a whole portion of what I was trying to tell you, I am sorry.
Make a show of showing her you are "cleaning the room". Tell her that you are getting rid of all the scary things (that encompasses people, pets, bugs, etc) in the room, and that she will be able to do it as well.
Just one day, when you are picking up her room, (get all the dust bunnies too, TOTALLY clean the room) throw open the windows and just let the air in. Every so often, every house needs a good "airing out", it gets rid of negativity.
Then take the Holy Water and spray all of the entrances (windows and registers too). When it is TOTALLY clean, hand her the bottle and see what she can do on her own.
Of course, you know your daughter. If you think she is too young, then of course, do not do this. I found that my son worried less when he knew that he had a bit of control as well. Even if he DOES still come running into my bedroom.
Thank you.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
Hello, anniann, and welcome.
First off, I would LOVE to tell you "Good Form". Thank you for not getting "crazy" when your daughter was telling you what was going on. Thank you for showing her that she CAN go to you when there is something going on that she has trouble accepting.
Welcome to the minority, dear. We are the parents who support our children, and will listen when it is that they tell us there is something there that WE do not see.
I may post something that someone else has, only in that I have not read through the comments. If I do, I am sorry. I just got too excited about this story to take that extra time before posting.
My son is five. He has seen, (my sixteen year old daughter as well) and talked to MANY people that I have never seen. There are times when SOME of them frighten him, but to be honest, he looks it straight on and less scares HIM than does ME 😆.
When he first started sleeping in his own room, he apparently had a few people who would not let him sleep. They made him uneasy. So I headed on over to the local Walmart and picked up one of those travel size spray bottles, you know, the ones that are about fifty cents and fit in the palm of your hand.
Then I went to one of the local Catholic Churches and visited the stoup with the spray bottle in hand. Some of the churches actually have an out of doors stoup, which is clearly posted. THIS particular one did not, so I went inside. When appropriate, salt CAN be added to holy water. For one so young as your daughter, I do not think I would add the salt, just in case the sprayer is pointing in the wrong direction.
Give HER the power to "get rid of" anyone that YOU have not had the opportunity to. For one, that will give her a sense of not so much pride, but satisfaction in her room. For another, you will be teaching her that SHE also can tell unwanted people to leave her room.
THAT is important, for many reasons.
Thank you.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
Hm...I'm really not sure about this one. I think there's a possibility that she is seeing a ghost, but I also think that there's a possibility that her imagination is convincing her that she is. I feel really bad for her because I used to be terrified of ghosts as a little kid, and I think a lot of times I scared myself into thinking I'd seen one. I really like the idea that ladyanne proposed about the Dreamcatcher. Maybe something like that would help? Also try asking her if she's seen any scary movies or anything?
anniann (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
Thank you. Those are great ideas. I am going to have her talk to "grandma" tonight and see what happens. She freaked again last night and said "grandma is in my bed". I asked grandma to leave and to let her sleep. My daughter waited for about a minute and she went and lay in her bed. I asked if grandma was gone and she said yes and went to sleep.
autumnsmommy (4 stories) (98 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
My daughter did the same thing right after she started talking. She is 20 months old and is almost 2 and still there are times that she says "no go away!" Eventually she will calm back down and go back to sleep. I have noticed that her toys would be in different positions or something like that. She has problems wiht people messing with her stuff. So I could understand if there is something in her room that she doesn't feel comfortable with. Tell her that she can tell "grandma" to go away. Maybe coming from her "grandma" will go away and not bother her so much.
Surlay2 (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
My daughter is 2 also and she is also scared of her room, we recently moved overseas because of my husbands job. This has been going on for a while now. She will wake up in the middle of the night crying saying she is scared, and ill ask her why are you scared and she would tell me the scary man. One day while I was in her room, she was pointing at the a corner in her room which was behind me and I said what is it she said the scary man. I looked from the corner of my eye and I saw a man standing there and he was glowing white, I couldn't see his face though. But I have told him to leaver her alone and she is scared of him. But he still comes to her even though we are in a different country...
So I know how you feel... 😕
ladyannne (11 stories) (91 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
Shelley, sounds like you have done exactly the right thing, be there extra guests or not. My children were having a great deal of trouble sleeping, so I made them dream catchers, telling them the legend how bad dreams get caught up in the web and turn into dew by morning, they dry and fade away. This worked so well for them, it gave them a 'protection' to believe in after Mommy left them to sleep. Should her fears continue, perhaps you can provide something along this line, something that will ease her, in addition to sending Grandma away, if needed?
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-24)
I can totally relate. I too havea two year old who will say things like, "who is that?" "whats she doing?" all the while starring out into the living room while we eat. We have seen entities though so I really don't doubt that he is seeing something. Tell her to tell 'grandma' to PLEASE go away when she sees her if it makes her uncomfortable. I think its good that you're taking her serious. I hope things quiet down for you and your family.

Peace and Love

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: