You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: The Black Dog

Real Ghost Stories

The Black Dog

 

For more than five years I've kept this story to myself. I grew up in a small town called Union County, South Carolina. I had the day off due to the snow and was across the street wasting time with my neighbor.

A little after midnight, I grew tired and decided to walk back to my house. As I approached the gravel road and began to cross, something long and black came creeping out from underneath the street lamp on the other side directly across from me. I froze instantly and the second I stopped it stood up on its hind legs.

It was roughly 5 or 6 feet tall with long black course hair, and fiery redish-orange eyes. Its body was sickly looking as if it hadn't eaten in months, but the shoulders were broad with big ears that stood straight up on top of a massive head. It was definitely the shape of a dog with wolf-like features, but was all disfigured and oversized.

When fear struck me all my adrenaline kicked in and I raced for my house. The front porch was a good fifty yards or so... And I felt as if it breathed down the back of my neck the whole way. I was surprised I made it in and slammed the front door behind me. I peered out the window for hours never seeing any movement. It was the scariest I have been so far in my life.

When the sun came up, I went out early before the snow could melt to see if there were any paw prints through the yard or behind the street lamp. I found only a few feet that trailed into the woods from where it came out and then they were gone. That was all, just a few feet.

I was sure it had breathed down my neck the whole way through the yard. To this day I'm still skittish outside after dark and I wonder what the purpose of the dog's presence was. Mystery unexplained.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sherbielynn, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Thefox (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-20)
Throughout history there has been many sightings of black dogs. I too have saw one recently in a log cabin in scotland

I was with my wife on honeymoon, early hours of the morning on the first night, which was halloween, I was woken by something grabbing my leg, I looked towards the bedroom door and saw a large black dog standing on its hind legs, it made a gesture to me like beckoning me towards it. I froze for about 5 seconds then shouted at it and it just disappeared.
I was a sceptic but now the more I hear of these stories from all corners of the world the more I believe
ObieOne12 (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-21)
My Mother and Brother both had ghost stories about the huge black dog with glowing red eyes. They were both born in Warren, Arkansas. I am the only one born in California. It seems that in both stories they were out late at night. My mother was still a young woman then and she was coming back for visiting someone when she thought she saw something standing in the road in front of her. When she moved, it moved. She said it was tall like a horse, but it was a dog with red eyes. It frightened her and so she got off the road and ran home. My brother, also a young man at the time, had been out partying with friends, if I remember correctly, when he also encountered a huge black dog. It seemed to be laying in the middle of the road, which was like a cross. As my brother approached it seemed to rise up and grow taller and taller. It was the size of a tall horse, but he was sure it was a dog. It had red eyes and it stared at him. My brother said the breath was knocked out of him as he stood looking at this thing. Finally, just like my mother he started running. He jumped over a fence and went home around the back way. It did not follow him any further than the fence. But just like his mother he never stayed out past midnight down there again. Everyone moved to California by the time he was 10 years old, so I believe he was visiting relatives when this occurred. I thought maybe he just remembered Mama's story. He and I were born 15 years apart and I can only remember hearing this story maybe 2 times each. My brother's story struck me the most because there was still fear in his voice when he told it to me. It was a warning.
Campbell72 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-20)
You are not the only one this has happened to. It happened to me when I was sitting on my porch with my neighbor. I saw it in the yard and stood up and grabbed my neighbor but when he turned around it was gone.
darkfantum (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-28)
there are lots of stories from around the world of black dogs and there have been many stories basrd on them e.g the hound of the baskervilles
courtneyk (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-21)
I use to live in Union, South Carolina when I was little. My mom told me about stories about how demons run through those woods. They use to do black magic in those woods because ordinary people wouldn't mess with them. This was back before cars were invented, so it was really far to travel.
Lizard (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-21)
I Think you saw the Black shuck because they stand on their back hind legs and sometimes have green yellow orange or red eyes
Scghostman (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-28)
hey I am very intrested in this story... I visit union county a lot cause I have family there. I was wondering where you saw this at or if you could just tell me the area... Thanks very good story it will harder for me to go coon hunting by myself for now on thanks
KatieChan (3 stories) (63 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-10)
It seems you saw a hellhound. Hellhounds are ghost dogs that supposedly guard gave yards. Here is some more info here... Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellhound
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-09)
Well I hate to say it but I agree with burning Flames on this one. To me it sounds like a dog. But very interesting story. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-08)
Sounds as if you have met up with Barguest, sherbielynn. What is the most interesting thing about this for ME is that I have not heard too many stories coming out of the US about him, or any of his brothers.
A shape changing demon dog (though you did not state that he was a shape shifter) is one of the most fearsome English apparitions. Legends of threatening and protective black dogs are common in the English countryside, and have been studied by folklore students for many years.
They have a variety of names. Gurt Dog, Devil's Dandy (or Dando) Dogs, Yeth (Heath) or Wisht Hounds, Barguest, Black Shag, Padfoot or Hooter, Guytrash, Moddey Dhoo, or Mauthe Doog and Pooka (just to name a few).
According to the Rev Worthington-Smith's book on the folklore of Dunstable, published in 1910: "there are ghostly black dogs, the size of large retrievers, about the fields at night, that these dogs are generally near gates and stiles, and are of such a forbidding aspect that no one dare venture to pass them, and that it means death to shout at them. In some places the spectral dog is named 'Shuck' and is said to be headless."
A spectral hound with large glowing red eyes traditionally haunts Helliwell Banks Well, Baildon (now capped over) and the nearby Slaughter Lane. Several other wells in West Yorkshire are associated with the 'Guytrash' which takes the form of a large shaggy dog with broad webbed feet. It has drooping 'saucer' eyes and walks with a splashing sound (the 'trash' sound of old-fashioned boots).
There are ALL KINDS of stories that can take you all over the English countryside.
How interesting that a black lab was dissuaded by a blond lab. THAT I have NEVER read of yet.
Thank you.
milmo99 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-08)
its just the same as big foot its probably an oversized gorrila like this storie its probably a starving wild dog!
burning_flame87 (1 stories) (52 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-08)
Sounds like standard black dog phenomena. Ie. Probably just a black dog.
COBzeppelin99 (2 stories) (32 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-07)
werewolves are mystical creatures, not real. However, mike887 is right. Mothman exists, and he is tall and stands on his legs.
TerisKaminari (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-07)
Hm, I wish I could have seen it, though it sounds more werewolfish then spiritualish... Either way... I still think that'd be cool to see.
Laura1103 (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-07)
If you ask me I think that it was the manifestation of the devil. For years I have heard the he will come to you as a black dog with red eyes. It's weird because why would he show himself to you in that way? Where you a child? 😕
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-07)
It is quite possible that with the snow, shadows and weather patterns, it was some kind of actual wild animal.

Thanks for sharing!
God Bless!
mike8887 (3 stories) (23 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-07)
That's odd. I've hear of people seeing large, unusual, animal-looking creatures sometimes, especially with red/orange glowing eyes. Lots of people see the 'moth man' thing with red eyes. It might not have been a ghost. There are other strange creatures out there.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: