You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: All In Time

Real Ghost Stories

All In Time

 

My Great Grandma, Eunice, was a beautiful woman. When Eunice died, my Mama lost a great teacher (that's what Mama said). She died at Thanksgiving dinner, at my Uncle's house, sitting at her place at the table, during the Blessing of the Meal. That was about ten years ago.

My Uncle called my Mama up a couple of months ago to tell her that Eunice's locked cabinet (she collected salt and pepper shakers and kept them locked up) was rattling. He said that it sounded as if something was trying to get out. He tried to open it, but it was locked, and the key was no where to be found. Not wanting to ruin the antique, he wanted Mama to tell him where the key was.

Mama's Dad wanted a box of Eunice's recipes. She cooked like she was still in the "Old Country" and he would have liked to keep them as a reminder of where we all came from. The box was missing since Eunice died. She had used the recipes for Thanksgiving meal, so they knew it was around somewhere close.

Her cousin wanted a special photo album that had pictures in it of Mama's Uncle Larry (he has been missing for a long time. There are not many pictures of him), but could not find that.

Mama told them all to be quiet and LISTEN. Some thing would come clear to them shortly. Guess what? It did.

One night while my Uncle was sleeping, the cabinet squeaked open on its own. That same day, my Grandpa (Mama's Dad) went into his computer room and found Eunice's recipe box on his computer desk (It should have been seven hours away, at my Uncles house). Mama's cousin came home from taking the kids to school and found the photo album in the utility closet of her house (about five hours past my Uncles house).

I like to think that she was just waiting until everyone was ready to care for these things the way she would have.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, essiej, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
Mr Chris? Hey I'm not that old 😆!But you sure gave me a good laugh essiej! I'm glad that you try talking with them here. I alwasy say its a lot easier writting and explaining something then it is to say it. So I understand you here! And I hope you get those answers! I hope to here from you soon and take care
essiej (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
Thank you Mr. Chris. Our family discussions usually end up with lots more?'s than answers. I figured if I asked on here I mite get more thought on it beside the family view.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
Hi essiej what an interesting story! This is a very special account that you had and I'm glad that it was so remarkable for everyone. I'm very sorry that your great grandma passed away. I read some comments here and I'm glad that your family is here to explain somethings to you. Though again the have some questions too 😉.But hey that's a good reason to gather up for dinner and talk about it aint it 😁!I hope to hear from you soon and take care
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-16)
I read through some of your comments, and thought I would add a bit more to them.😉
I REALLY do NOT think Grandma Eunice would have given these items BEFORE she passed for a few reasons, and one of the MAIN reasons (with the photo album) is that for one, NO ONE cared about the photo's until the Uncle Larry scare. We had thought he passed, remember? My cousin only wanted THAT particular photograph to have it framed for a funeral.
But Uncle Larry surprised us, and he lived. No one really expected that. I FEEL that Grandma Eunice KNEW my cousins heart. She KNEW that it was a ploy to be the "good niece". News flash: you can not deceive those who can see beyond what WE can.
They asked for advice because they were trying to trip me up. They more than likely thought that Eunice already gave ME the recipes, key AND the album. I really DO NOT think they thought I would get a communication. I THINK, in their minds, I already was in possession of all these things.
I would not have stolen from your Grandma.
FRAWIN may have a good point there. All my life, I have been "little Eunice", it was never a "good" thing. It was said in a sarcastic way, and it was a belittling comment. I CHOSE to take it as a compliment. Grandma WAS beautiful, and she still is.
Think beyond the sorrow (I know you are not grieving, but when you think back, sometimes tears have a way of elbowing their way in). How WONDERFUL is it that she prepared Thanksgiving dinner. You KNOW how she POURED herself into food preparation. She sat down to have the celebration with family, and a stroke took her WHILE PRAYING to our CREATOR. Oh, what a way to see the Other Side, while PRAYING to our Higher Power!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-16)
Essiej but that IS the true meaning of value-not the objective but the emotional value an object has. To collect something whether that is gold coins or simple stamps can have the same value to the eyes of the one who devotes his/her life aquiring them. To write down recipes is not simply to leave instructions on how a proper meal is to be cooked or served but it is to leave a "trace" behind-a hint of who you were of what your passion was.

A photo album does not only hold the collection of pictures-it captures the moments of a life you cherished, it holds the smiles and tears of those you cherished.

My brother once decided to buy me this special "little" something for Christmas and post it from the UK so that it would reach me on my birthday. Everyone thought that since he went through all this trouble to find it (it took him a month) it would be something grand, and very expensive. I cannot begin to describe their shock not only when they saw me holding a stuffed toy but mainly to see me crying like a baby. Do you know why it was special to me? Cause that was the only toy I slept with when I was little and when I lost it, it broke my heart. The one he bought me was identical to the one I had. So you see sentimental value is very subjective.

"Can a spirit be stubborn"? YES YES YES! Spirits are the "reflections" of what people were in life: if a person is stubborn, his/her energy will retain this trait after death.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-16)
Hi Essie. Your mom and I discussed this shortly after it happened. After reading through it again and reading the comments I'll give you my take on it. I think that all Grandma Eunice wanted was a little respect for her and your mother because both of them were viewed as being "different". True, the things your uncle and cousins wanted were simple, inexpensive items to remember her by but now they can remember her both ways, as a loving grandmother and as somebody special when they remember HOW SHE GAVE THE ITEMS TO THEM. Also maybe it will cause them to rethink their views about your mother, seeing how she "took after" her grandmother.
Take care and God Bless.

UNCLE FRAWIN 😊 ❤
essiej (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-16)
Thank you ghostseer Most of the stuff we go through is not scary, just different. The scariest parts are trying to get people to believe. But like I been taught. All that really matters is that you believe in youself. No one else really matters. But it is nice to know people do not think you are just imagining.
essiej (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-16)
Hi Rhodes68 Do you think people can be stubborn after they die too? The stuff everyone wanted was memories, not expensive stuff. I don't know how to explain that. Pictures don't cost a lot of money. Recepies don't cost anything but time. Salt and pepper shakers break. Would it have made a difference if they had believed in Grandma, or would they all have still meant the same thing?
essiej (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-16)
So, if Grandma's family would have accepted her being a Healer, she would of gave them the stuff before she died? But why did they all call you? If they don't think it is real why do they ask advise?
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-16)
What a touching story. Can't really comment beyond what others have written, so I will just say thankyou... It touched my heart. Not all paranormal experiences are bad and scary!...Blessings, Ghostseer
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-16)
Hi essiej and welcome back!

I was going to make a few suggestions but seems like your mom beat me to it! 😊

Obviously if her "treasures" were not fully respected-if the people involved did not understand the significance of these items, your grandmother Eunice was not going to make it easy for them!

A lesson learnt!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-15)
This posting actually posed a good question for me, Essie. I do not think you realized that it WOULD when you wrote it, but it did. 😊
In that Grandma Eunice was very "talented", I am wondering if THAT is the reason for her sharing her personal items after she left this earthly realm.
What I mean is, she used to grab our coffee cups when we were down to the last sip to "read" what was in it's depths. She taught me about herbs, and respecting ALL life. Maybe our Uncles, Cousins and Papa's needed to learn the lesson of "respect" before they were able to receive these OTHER gifts from her.
Eunice did not APPEAR to pass on her passions and talents to anyone in her following generation. It WOULD APPEAR that it skipped one generation and grounded itself in THAT one, to open up wider in the THIRD generation.
Do you see where I am going with this?
Maybe there WAS a lesson in all of these miss-placings, and reunitings. MAYBE if persons HAD respected her "gifts" and the larger part of her persona, then there would not have BEEN the ten year wait for a china cabinet to open.
They contacted someone that they KNEW had MANY of the same characteristics as Eunice and asked HER to find the items. And all along, all they would have had to do was ACCEPT that it WAS possible to achieve an "after life communication."
THIS communication, I thought, to be very clear. "Ah, NOW you want to believe that others CAN see and do things that MIGHT seem unreal to you. Here, have your trinkets."
❤ Thank you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: