You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Something Was Standing On My Chest

Real Ghost Stories

Something Was Standing On My Chest

 

I come from a very religious family that does not disregard the existence of ghosts, demons, or angels. I don't scare easily; I have seen and heard strange things for as long as I can remember. I have to say what happened to me the other night scared the hell out of me.

I rarely remember my dreams, but the one I was having was deeply troubling. Basically I had a dream I was with my current boyfriend and somewhere along the way he turned into my ex (whom I have a pending restraining order against). I woke myself up somehow, and after my eyes adjusted to my bedroom, I tried to sit up and realized I couldn't move a muscle! (I was awake, I swear!)

I have never had an auditory hallucination in my entire life, but I heard a voice right next time. It was neither male nor female and it said, "a strong God fearing woman like you has no need to fear demons." I tried to lift my head up and see who the hell was in my room, I couldn't do anything.

As pathetic as it sounds I tried to call for my mom and I couldn't speak. I even tried to lift my leg up and kick my lamp over so I could wake someone up in my house. The sick feeling of dread came over me and I feel like something was standing on my chest and I could hardly breath.

After a few moments I came out of it, and tried to move around and snacked on some Oreos to get my mind off it. When I tried to fall back asleep I would hear this loud buzzing noise that made it impossible.

I understand what happened that night could easily be dismissed as Sleep paralysis, but something was very wrong. I can't put my finger on it, but I believe that I may have an attachment with some entity because of previous experiences I have had. (I will post those as I go).

Other hauntings by Six

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maine

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Six, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Six (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-11)
That actually funny you mentioned that. After this incident I researched sleep paralysis and beliefs that other cultures had on it. In the West Indies they blame it on the "kokmas" which are the spirits of dead (unbaptised?) babies. The kokma will sit on your chest and choke you just because they feel like it.
Angelaandmaxthedragon (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
when I was married to my evil x husband (he is from Africa) I would have him tell me ghost stories that were from Africa
He told me one about a male and female demons who loved chaos and just plain negativity.
For the life of me I can't remember their names but the one main thing they did was stand on peoples chest to get them to stop breathing. I really can't remember why they would do this. But next time if it happens just pray for the demons to stop standing on your chest. That is what he told me to do cause it works every time. I left
Six (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
Sorry Lisamaxw! Haha. To answer your question I believe that " B" may have something to with it. I was having a disturbing dream about him when I woke up suddenly and this happened. He's a creep in every sense of the word
ColoradoGirl (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-08)
I agree with what kellevamp said, you may have a connection. I wonder why they like to prey on religious people...?
KelleVamp (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-07)
Very creepy! I believe you definitely may have a connection, sometimes demons like to prey on religious people. I do not know why.
MattHardy75 (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-06)
Very Creepy haha I think its just plain scary... 😨 lol Maybe its what your dreaming or something not sure but you might want to check that with a pro...
Lisamaxw (92 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-06)
Arrrgghh! I can't believe you just left us hanging like that! Not very nice, at all -- but I'll forgive you because you're such an excellent storyteller.

A question for you: Do you feel that it might be related to "Steve" or "B" from your story, "Trance State, My Ex-Boyfriend and Steve?"

Thanks for sharing!
L.
Six (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-06)
I am a girl haha. I have seen a ghost of a little girl around my house hare and there, but I don't believe it was her. She's doesn't appear to be 'like that'.
scaryboy (2 stories) (117 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-06)
if some thing was standing on your chest it is exactly. Are you a boy or girl and your chest may inscribe you are a boy... And mainly children below 5 years do such things like standing on others chest and might it be a child ghost trying to play with you thinking you are father if you are boy and mother if you are girl...
Scaryboy
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
I must say this sounds like a classic case of sleep paralysis. I understand that other cultures view sleep paralysis as demonic or having other paranormal attributes, and I am not so certain I don't agree with them. There are many forms and stages of sleep paralysis and each one is terrifying. The episodes are so different for different individuals, there may very well be a paranormal significance behind the occurances.

God Bless!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
One thing I've mentioned on this site before is that where there are cases that can be dismissed as sleep paralysis, I think there are others in which sleep paralysis is the BASIS but spiritual encounters play an important part of it.

There is a theory that people astrally project when they're dreaming. If that's true, I can't imagine it being impossible for that kind of expenditure of spiritual energy to draw an entity to you.

My theory on the way this relates to you is this: I think that a positive spirit, whether you want to call it ghost, angel, etc.; came to you and wanted you to realize that you were not being encountered by a demon. I think it was trying to comfort you and let you know that you were experiencing something physically explainable as sleep paralysis. In telling you that you had no need to fear demons, I think it was this way's entity of saying "I won't tell you what it is, but I'll eliminate a possibility for you and let you figure it out for yourself."

Blessings,
DA
Six (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
I had also noticed that other cultures explain sleep paralysis as demonic visitations. I do agree that this seem like a classic case of sleep paralysis, and that is what I tell myself to fall back asleep. 😊 I also note that other cultures explain mental illnesses as demonic possesion, which makes this such a gray area.
SolGabrien (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
"Rational" scientists would attribute this to sleep paralysis/ night terror - but in every culture this type of experience has been regarded as a demonic visitation. I used to experience sleep paralysis in my old flat - I used to wake up paralysed with fear - I always felt like I had woken up after some traumatic event. But then one night I became aware of something approaching my flat up the stairs (my bedroom was by the door) but was half asleep so didn't take much notice. But then, in my sleep I became aware that the thing had come into the flat and my room. I knew I had to wake up but couldn't and found myself fighting with something. I was so afraid that I went out of my body and saw myself fighting with a human shaped being! I called for help for someone to wake me then heard a loud voice say my name. I woke up properly and was too scared to go back to sleep. I believe that I had witnessed the cause of the night terror - usually I slept through it and woke up traumatised. I believe that such an experience is the basis for ideas of vampires and incubi. I did some research and performed a ritual for protection - and have not experienced this since. Of course it could be psychological - and the act of ritual or prayer (or whatever we believe in) causes us to change our thought processes - but personally I believe I was being attacked by this thing for months. I was always tired and drained in the day - now I know why!
Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
Hello, thank you for sharing your experience with us. What you have described does sound like a classical example of sleep paralysis. I believe the buzzing in your ears was due to the adrenalin "crash", the process your body goes through after a fright and the adrenalin has run its course. I personally have experienced this "crash" on a number of occasions. I eagerly await you other experiences detailing why you believe this is something other than a case of SP 😊. Please understand I am not doubting you I am in agreement with your statement where you said that this could be mistaken as sleep paralysis. God bless.
Six (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-04)
Thank you for responding 😊 I have had similar experiences before, nothing quite like this though. That last time this had happened to me was about four years ago I woke and felt something pressing up against me and I heard this horrible growling in my ear. My boyfriend at the time just kind of shook me (I must have whined a little bit) and I snapped out of it.
I am kind of an open minded agnostic, but I have been considering becoming Catholic and once I had that thought in my head, the weird dreams and this one incident of paralysis occurred.
hazzardsyndrome (10 stories) (121 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-04)
normally I would have brushed this off as sleep paralysis... But I see what you mean about it seeming something more. Its the same with the feeling of being watched or a breeze "touching" you. Only you can judge what it felt like or not.
Have you ever experienced sleep paralysis to compare this too?
And who's to say that sleep paralysis isn't caused by the paranormal anyway, like I said, its a personal thing.
Take care
ZaneBrain (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-04)
I have read a lot of stories that said that people have tried to move when they woke up or fell asleep, and couldn't. And you've mentioned that you are very religious, so maybe you have just had a talk with an angel. 😕 Good story!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: