You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Aulita - Love, Nature, Bravery - The Funeral Ground

Real Ghost Stories

Aulita - Love, Nature, Bravery - The Funeral Ground

 

This is the most frightening experience of mine. Every time I remember it, I get so scared. It happened in 2004, when I was a Senior High School student in an Islamic Boarding School in Semarang, Central Java. We had a formal organization called AULITA. It's all about love for nature and bravery. Another student (commonly younger one) who wanted to join with us had to be tested first. We established the test for member candidates every single semester.

In the test, we would know the brave and the coward. AULITA accepted the brave ones only. We would ask them to go to places where a couple of us stood there. And they went all alone with no flashlight or anything like that in the dark at midnight. In that time, all students including us were not allowed to have mobile phones.

We had four places for them to visit and we spread ourselves (senior members) there. So they would meet us in a dark in a garden full of trees near our school, in front of an old unused factory, in an empty house, and in an old funeral ground. The last one I mentioned was the farthest from the school. It's almost 1 km. To arrive there, a candidate had to pass these three places. And between the places, there's no house around the road. When they arrived at our places, they had to do whatever we asked.

I and my bravest friend, Wahid, had a turn in the funeral ground. Actually I refused to be placed there, but my friends called me 'a coward'. That's not funny at all!

What I knew was that we only had 8 candidates. It started at 11 pm and normally ended at about 2 am. I and Wahid had arrived in the funeral ground before 11. We had prepared ourselves with some questions, thermos bottle, cups, and coffee. Wahid was brave and funny but he hated to be fooled around with. His jokes always made me laugh so I was never afraid of anything when I was with him.

Time was running out and it was 1 am when we had finished testing 8 candidates. I urged Wahid to go back to school because I thought everything was done. But he said that we still had 1 candidate. He was really sure that the amount of candidates was 9. I didn't know who was wrong, and I guessed its ok to follow his word. So, we decided to wait.

About 10 minutes later, we saw somebody's walking into the funeral ground. I smiled insincerely because I knew I was wrong. "Hey, come here," Wahid called him with passion. He immediately turned his step in the direction to us.

We had a rule that the candidate had to say 'salam' (Muslim's greeting) when he met us in our places. But he said nothing. He just stood in front of us while we were sitting. Of course we were bit disappointed with his silent behavior.

"You've broken one rule, brother. What's your name?" Wahid asked. No reply. "Hey, say your name!" Wahid almost screamed. Silence. "Do you want me to punch your face?' Wahid became angry and he stood up. But the guy still said nothing.

I tried to expose his face with my flashlight. I thought I would be familiar with his face, but surprisingly I was not. I guessed I never saw a face like that in my boarding school. The face was normally still, but not familiar to me.

"Calm down, Wahid. Maybe he's too afraid of us or he met something in the road," I tried to throw away a bad feeling that began to attack my mind. "What's your name?" I asked smoothly. Still he kept drowning in his strange silence.

"Go away from here! You will not join our group forever," Wahid drove him out.

He then turned his back and left us. Unexpectedly I began to think there's something wrong with him. I even began to feel afraid. That bad feeling came again.

"I don't know who he is. What about you?" I asked Wahid. "Same! But I have a good plan. We will follow his road and shock him in the dark. This could be my revenge!" Oh no. I could not deny this because Wahid always had strong desire and nothing could stop him.

We were still able to capture his shadow and we followed him. We certainly knew where he would go. That's why we could find a good spot to surprise him in the dark. It was behind a huge tree. We arrived there before him because we knew how to cut the path there.

Then we waited for him arrive. When he got closer to the tree, Wahid started to growl inhumanly and hit the path. But no one was there. We were startled.

"Where is he?" Wahid asked with frightened intonation. I shook my head.

We tried to capture him and took a look around. I can't describe how surprised we were when we saw the guy was standing behind us. All that we could do was run, run and scream. I didn't think about anything except running. And so did Wahid. Maybe that was the first time he felt afraid. The thermos bottle and cups that I brought were left and forgotten.

When we arrived in the school, everyone asked us where we went so far. Obviously they had been waiting us for one hour. We told our story and the scariest thing that they told to us was, "WE ONLY HAD 8 CANDIDATES!"

Every time I walk alone in a dark place I always remember that experience. That's why sometimes I try to walk faster and faster when I get scared. What about Wahid? After that experience, he looked more silent. I didn't know whether he felt scared or not. But I'm sure that this experience is rare it's frightening to the core. If you have ever heard a story like this, make sure that the ghost is not the same one!

Other hauntings by Hassan

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Hassan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ColoradoGirl (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-08)
What a bad experience, I'm so sorry that happened.
Always scary to be at a funeral at night!
pilarB (3 stories) (31 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-07)
My God, what a horrible experience you had there, Hassan. I too, scared of Funeral Parlors because of coffins and even outside of it has different ambiance... All people get scared to certain degrees... No way will I go near a Funeral Parlor... Be careful next time...Massalam! (I learned that word in Dubai).
poltergeist45 (1 stories) (46 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-06)
Very intresting story! Although there is a possiblitly that the boy could have been human, but I doubt it. It reminds me when me and my friends went ding dong ditching (when you hit someones doorbell and run) and the guy chased me and my friends all over the neighborhood at 2:00 in the morning. I don't know how he kept up with us but wherever we went he was always right behind us😆.
deltanova (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-06)
i hate funerals at night, although the dead people really don't but me. Scary story.
Hassan (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-06)
For DigitalEngine, glad to see you too...I'm also from Jakarta, but I spent half of my life in Semarang... Now I'm in Jakarta

And yes, test like this is very sick. 'Jurit Malam' is a common name in Indonesia (or maybe in Jakarta), but we (Aulita) didn't have any name for this test.

It's not important to be called 'coward' or not in this case, because normally a man will run away from a strange scary being.

Actually I have another story with Aulita and it's my friend's experience. I will write later, as soon as possible.

And yes, funeral here means common cemetery.

Thanks
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-06)
I'm sory Hassan, but by silent funeral are you refering to a cemetery? Please clarify...

I did not doubt your experience, I believe you.

Regards & Prayers,
Logan
DigitalEngine (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
Hi Hassan, glad to see someone else from Indo here... I'm from Jakarta 😁

I believe your story, because I have heard stories like this so many times, some from my closest friends who would have no reason to lie to me whatsoever.
The test you gave to new candidates wouldn't happen to be a "Jurit Malam", would it? Cause boy do I have stories about those tests. I was into a lot of activities during my school days and has my share of experiences (or at least, was there to witness experience (s)) on those "Jurit Malam" tests, and I think those tests should be banished.
For those of you not in the know, "Jurit Malam" is a test that is commonly given for new after school activities candidates, or freshmen at a school. The process of the "Jurit Malam" test is described in Hassan's story. I think these tests are stupid. Who cares if you're a coward or not if you're trying out for the choir or something?
Anyway, glad to read your story, Hassan, and I hope you'll post some more.
Hassan (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
Some people don't believe in this story, but that's not a big deal for me. Before that happened, I used to walk alone next to silent funeral. But now, I always feel scared. It's like someone's following me at my back.

Necessary to know that AULITA means Aulad Like Tadabbur Alam or 'guys who love to think about nature'. The program has been removed since 2006.

Through this group, we used to climb mountains in Central Java and make some adventures.

Hope you enjoy the story
scaryboy (2 stories) (117 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
this would be extremely chilling when being at funeral which even iam experienced when my grandma died.
Scary boy
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
Really...so much for AULITA!

However I enjoyed the experience.

Regards & Prayers,
Logan
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-04)
Wow interest story, being in funeral at late night is scary way to be. He may be a ghost that ya'll see it and ya'll follow him and he may had vanish.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: