You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: Lights In Our Summer House

Real Ghost Stories

Lights In Our Summer House

 

I'm new on this website and this is my first story. I'm not fluent in English so I apologize for my bad English.

I've had many paranormal encounters in my life, but this story I'm about to tell is about some encounters that happened in our summerhouse, where we spent all our summers. I'll post some other stories an other time. So here we go...

My parents bought a plot of land ten years ago where they built a house and a garage. The garage is around 100m away from the house, and we used to live there while the house was being built (The garage was fully equipped with bathroom, kitchen etc. At the time it was more a small house than a garage).

The first paranormal encounter happened to my mother while we were living at the garage.

One night my mother woke up for no reason at 3 am. She opened the window of the bathroom, which has a view on the house, and saw a strange light next to the house. She believed that someone was taking a look at the house and didn't like that. At the time my father was on a trip, so she woke me up, as well as my sister, and told us that she would go out to check what was going on and if she didn't return after some minutes, we should call the police. So she exited the garage and went towards the light. The light was floating in the air and had no source. It was more like a floating light ball, and no human form was next to it. It didn't move until my mother got some few meters away.

My mother was very curious and got closer to it, but then the light started to move slowly. My mother continued to follow it. At a point the light stopped next to a huge tree and vanished away in the horizon (the plot is on the top of a hill). When my mother realized what had just happened, she rushed back to the garage.

Some years later, my sister and I used to share the same bedroom. One evening, we both went to bed at the same time while our parent's were still sitting on the terrace upstairs. When we were ready to go to sleep, my sister switched off the light. A few seconds later, a big pure white light invaded the room. It was like a flashlight. We didn't feel insecure or frightened. When it was gone, my sister rushed to my parent's to ask if anything happened, a lightning or anything. But nothing had happen.

The strangest thing about this light was that it had no source, or should I say, it shone from everywhere. My sister and I were facing different directions so she could see what happened behind me and I could see what happened behind her. No shadow, just light.

The next morning, we asked my father what he thought had happened. Being a real scientific man, he told us there should be a rational explanation, but he couldn't find it. Maybe a chemical reaction, but we didn't smell or find anything different.

Later, we met a couple that told us they had seen in our plot one evening in the winter what we call in Greece a small church with light in it. I'm not sure of what it is called in English, but a small church (eklisaki) is a small chapel where people use to have an oil lamp and an icon.

They told us the chapel was next to the big tree, the same tree where the orb stopped. We then started to search in the plot's history. The plot used to be a vineyard. No house was built there, but in the old days people were scared to go there because they could see things, but I haven't got a clue of what they saw. We also found out in the records (? Or archive?) That the area used to have the name "old church".

We never felt insecure or frightened in this house, and we still enjoy our vacations there. On the contrary, one of the reasons my parents bought that plot, was that they felt welcomed on this plot. I would like to point out that I'm not really a church person.

I hope you liked my story. I will be pleased to answer any of your questions.

Other hauntings by Christa

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Greece

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Christa, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-03)
Welcome to the site, Christa! First, your English is very good so have no worries there.
This was truly a strange, interesting tale and I was glad Rhodes68 could give us a bit more insight into it.
Thanks for sharing this with us and be sure to add anything else that happens in the future.
Christa (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-02)
Thanks for all your comments.
Kecoughtan: Thanks again, I'll feel more more at ease to write my stories. The archives I've been looking at got me back to 1900's. Didn't find anything older. Guess I'll do some research this summer:D While we build the house, we didn't find any trace of building foundations or traces of an old construction. However we found a stone shaped like a keystone of a small arc (50 cm height). It might just as well be a random shaped stone... Concerning the garage, It gets flooded when it is NOT raining or NOT any leaking pipes, but I guess it's geological.
Rhodes68: Thanks for sharing this story, it's beautiful. I didn't know that place existed, I'll have to check it out. The house is situated in the northwest of Corfu. I know this location was used to over view this part of the island because the Italian soldiers built a small base there, Where 2/3 soldiers would stay there during WWII.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-02)
Christa hi and thank you for sharing your story with us-I really enjoyed reading it! Sometimes it is refreshing to read non-threatening accounts.

I don't know which part of Greece you are referring to but I am familiar with an area on the mainland previously called Eklisaki and I know that before this land was cleared, before it even got its name there was a small but very miraculous chapel. The villagers that were working on their land would light its candles and clean it and every once in a while a priest would have a mass there. It was really not a regular church but rather a small place of "protection" and comfort for the people who lived in this area.

This little chappel was left to deteriorate when the last of the pious elders passed away and then later after the wars it simply vanished.

They also say that at times of hardship, the natives would seek refuge in it as in the time of WW2 when the enemy soldiers were discouraged to enter it because it illuminated the night sky as they approached it while hunting down the local women, children and the elders.

People say that one can still see the light from the candles of that long gone chapel and feel the spirits of those who kept it "alive" for so long.

It is seen as a reminder of what this land was and of what its people were "made of"-the true nature of their souls.

Thank you for reminding me!
bluegirl0506 (3 stories) (43 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-01)
This is pretty crazy! I like it though, I mean, it's good it wasn't a bad experience. I like to think about encountering a friendly spirit. I hope to one day.
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-01)
Thats nice of you Kecoughtan to say that to Christa. Now a white ball of like if it was a ghosr aura means its holy. Nothing to worry about. Only if you see differt colors should you pay attation.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-01)
Thanks for sharing your experience with us, Christa. Welcome to the site! Despite your claim, your English and the descriptions of events is quite good. I hope you will share other encounters with us when you have time. Did your search in the archives reveal what happened to the small chapel? You may have encountered building debris during construction of the summer house. I wonder how your plot was used before the chapel was constructed and why that location was selected for the chapel. Have you experienced any activity in or around the garage? It is very reassuring that you feel at ease and welcomed in the summer house. Thanks.
Christa (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-01)
Thanks for the comments. Concerning the the ball of light, it was white.
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-01)
what color was the ball of light? Just normal light color or was it diffrent?
katie22 (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-30)
Wow... That is really freaky but it is still cool! Good story, I really liked it (=

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: