You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Being Held Down And Choked

Real Ghost Stories

Being Held Down And Choked

 

I am in my 30's and have had experiences in the past and always believed that it just wasn't MY imagination even though I had been told I have an overactive imagination.

This recent experience happened to me about two months ago. I was sleeping or so I think. I woke up suddenly to a heaviness on me and being choked, evidently the reason why I woke up was me being choked. Then I actually saw a person on top of me with IT's hands around my neck laughing. I remember me trying to rock back and forth to loosen the grip around my neck and finally I was able to knock it loose. The thing that I saw on top of me was first just a black fog that I was able to see threw and then it flashed itself to me being something with horns. I know it sounds foolish and I feel foolish writting about it. But I know it had to of been something, I even woke my husband up trying to gasp to air, he asked me if I was ok.

I will tell you a little about the incident when I was younger. We had a cabin that we would go to on the weekends and I had my own room. One night when we had several people staying with us and I was sleeping, I woke up AGAIN out of a dead sleep being held down in the bed not able to move. I remember how scared I was and the room was freezing, I am getting goose bumps just remembering the incident. I needless to say never went into that room alone again.

I also had some incidents at my parents home growing up just the feeling of being watched.

Please let me know what you think or am I absolutely lost my mind?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Scarredsomtimes, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Jay0110 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-06)
Hi there, just had the urge to look this up after a movie and found this board. The sleep paralysis would be awesome if that's what it is. I get chills reading how similar the other stories are here.

This started in my parents house in '07 when I was there between semesters in college. First I was on the couch in the living room sleeping and dreamed I was running from something. Then I opened my eyes and it was over me then grabbed me and I couldn't breath or yell for help and was being shaken violently. Then it happened a couple days later in my bedroom. I started staying up all night and I could feel all the hair stand up on my body when the sun would come up and if I didn't fight it and let the sensation continue, I was pinned again. It would then start everytime I would think about it. But the thing that freaked me out the most... I stopped going in the room... Even weeks after I forgot about it and was walking down the hall I would stop and have that sensation and be frozen with fear. The hair on my body would always stand on end when I got close to that room and wasn't even thinking about it.

It happened twice after sleeoing beside my fiance. But most recently I was in a hostel in British Columbia on the other side of the country 2 1/2 months ago. There was not very many people there so I had the room to myself and it happened in the middle of the night. I left the next day.

I had forgotten most of this until I started typing and I am starting to get those chills now that I thinking about this again. After what happened in '07, I had a neighbor years later in an apartment building who said this was demonic attacks. Another friend told me it was trolls?... I had a dream once that I was telling someone about this in a driveway, I then looked across the road and something that looked like doby in harry potter was across the street smiling at me and we started running, then it was on his back looking at me... Then I woke up pinned again. I have had some other really wierd stuff happen driving alone at night like something little was in the vehicle screwing with me. Loud bangs inside the vehicle that would scare the shiat out of me and I would have an overwhelming feeling something was in the vehicle with me. I know this sounds crazy and I am going on a rant but if it's simply sleep paralysis with a touch of something created in the sub concience that would be great.
DiverDustin (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-11)
I know exactly how you feel! I'm 20 years old and had a past accident where I was dead for 5 minutes then brought back to life. Since then I have been confused on my beliefs. Anyways the past 2 years I have had 5 experiences exactly like yours!. The first time was in a hotel room and was real scary. I woke up to the room shaking and my buddy woke up and screamed my name 3 times then I said I'm here! I then noticed that he didn't appear conscious but watched him lay back down. I shrugged it off then went back to sleep. I then woke up again that night with someone choking me and I tried to yell my buddys name and I couldnt. I fought my hardest to yell and move for what seemed like 2 minutes then the pressure finally stopped. During my 3rd experience Me and a coworker were staying at a hotel and we both went to sleep in different beds... I woke up to him sleeping in my bed in the middle of the night. I then moved to his bed and fell asleep. I woke up to the same choking and not being able to talk experience but THIS time I was being dragged off the bed. I fought my hardest trying to move and not be dragged off then finally I was released. I was so frightened by the experience I didn't sleep at that night. I have tried to classify it as sleep paralysis but no one has ever described the feeling of being dragged off a bed. I think with my previous death experience that I'm some how haunted by something. If you want verification that I died, google my name Dustin Medearis and click on survivor stories to see.
Athenia (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
Had you been messing with a Ouji board? I know one person that this has happened to after using a Ouji board; he prayed and it went away. Another friend got a fever with chills immediately after using a Ouji board; he started praying and it eventually subsided. Never, ever use a Ouji board or allow anyone you love to use one. It is a conduit to things best left undisturbed.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-07)
pipa, that sounds a lot like sleep paralysis. SP occurs when the brain awakens before the body does, and the chemical that keeps the body from moving around and hurting itself during sleep does not release before awareness happens. It can either completely or partially paralyze the person experiencing it and is typically accompanied by visual and aural hypnagogic/hynpapompic hallucinations, phantom feelings of pressure or tightness, a pins and needles sensation, difficulty breathing and strange repetative sounds (buzzing, chanting, etc.). The condition is also hereditary, which can explain why someone else in your family experienced it.

Personally, I do not believe that all paranormal experiences which occur during sleep paralysis are falsities caused by hallucinations. I think that hovering in the state between awake and asleep allows us to glimpse the other side for a moment, and it is very possible that some of the "beings" we see may be real. So do I think your experience was truly an entity? Possibly, but there's no way to know for certain unless you experience it again and someone else can corroborate what you have seen.

Regardless, it's probably not a bad idea to get a doctor to check you out and diagnose you for SP. SP is also common among soldiers because of the extreme conditions in which they are trained to survive. Factors that can induce episodes include stress, improper sleep patterns, poor diet, etc. My fiance is in the Army National Guard, and he has also experienced a form of SP. I have experienced it myself, being an insomniac. I have witnessed countless spiders dropping down from my ceiling and even saw a giant spider land on my bed and begin crawling on my legs. It was real to the point that I could feel the legs touching my blanket and moving up toward my torso. However, when I finally broke free of the fear and jumped up of course there was nothing there.

The best thing to do is not be afraid, relax, and wait for it to pass. Try moving your fingertips, then your hands, then your arms, etc. Small movements can help stimulate the chemical that tells your body to shut off the paralysis.
pipaxxxxx (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-07)
How are you guys doing... I have a story to share I'm currently in the army. I was on leave it was my mothers and cousins birthday I flew down to atlanta with my german girlfriend to celebrate it. There was one day the day before we where going to NY that I was sleeping and suddenly I feel something heavy on my chest it felt like it was compressing my chest but not letting me breath I can tell you that whatever it was its a strong one. I tried to move I couldn't all I could do was with the corner of my eye look at my girl she was sleeping a few inches away from me I try to call her and I couldn't didn't let me... All I did was close my eyes wide shut and open them again suddenly I was able to move... I woked my girl up told her what had happened she said it was just a dream don't worry... I couldn't sleep after that I told her if she can open the windows it was hot I felt I was sweating she looked at me as if I was crazy... (the room was very very cold). Anyways she opened the windows... Suddenly went back to bed I kept my eyes open as she felt back to sleep than suddenly I hear my girl while sleeping making a weird noise she was gargling and her chest started to rise up I tried to call her she wouldn't wake up until I hit her twice in her shoulder with my elbow... And she finally responded I told her what happened I told her to turn the lights on... We called my mom lol which she was in the other room (my mom is a believer in stuff like this). Anyways she told us to go to her room that everything was fine she checked our room and she said it was very cold in there... We went to sleep in her room and I grabbed my girl tight close to me but when we where trying to sleep again it felt as someone was trying to pull her hair each time I held her close to me her head was as if being pulled back? Than my mom started to make the same noise as my girl did this time my girl saw it and we just woked my mom up... After that I couldn't sleep...
This is a big house in Atlanta and its a brand new one not an old one no one ever lived there before... This happened in march 2011... The thing is that I believe it was last year for june 2010 before I was ready to deploy they let us go on leave we went again with my girl to NY and spend there with the fam... My brother 21 years old said he was sleeping and he suddenly felt someone holding him just like me he said that watever it was it was very strong he couldn't move or anything... Can someone tell me if its just me or what cause until this day I still think of that and I don't think I want to go back to that house in atlanta again neither does my girl... Any help would appreciate...danke.
regalman (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-17)
see this simular thing happened to my aunt this week. Me and my brother went over to visit her and when we walked in we saw a greenish demon standing at the top of the stairs I don't know how we both saw him. Se we ran after it and it poofed. That night our aunt woke up being choked and her husband laying next to her woke up but couldn't speak or move. Later that day we went back over there and her doughter was all nice and happy and all of a sudden she started scratching and biteing everyone and a few minutes later she was fine and didn't recall doing it. I don't know we are really frightend for my aunt and her family so can I get some info on what demon it might be?
Giovanni (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-21)
This just happened to me yesterday morning. I went to bed alittle after 5am and was woken up around 10am because I felt something on my neck and chest. I was only able to open my right eye and all I could see was looked like a woman's head (dirty blond hair) with no face, just hair. Another strange thing I noticed was that my room had different furniture, like old fashioned style cabinets and such, but only for a few seconds then it switched over to what is there now, but the head of hair stayed. This only lasted for about a minute, and I remember not being able to move or speak. I was trying to tell it (her) to get the heck off me, but all I could get out was a few moaning sounds. I hope this was a dream. I just moved into this place two months ago with no incidents until this. It's an apartment building in Brooklyn and has to be at least 100 years old.
Chaos (1 stories) (21 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-28)
i got to say that it is interesting it could be "sleep paralysis" or a demon though I have had sleep paralysis before it is quite interesting. I woke and could not even move my entire body was numb. Though I did not wake to images of demons but to my alarm clock it was a freaky experience I literally had to will my limbs to move as I could not even feel them or have total control. It could be a demon that was attacking the both of you. Got to say though I have not herd of people begin straight up choked to death by a demon as they are normally not ones to take that strong of a physical form. Thought I could be wrong. I suggest incense or smudging to purify your home.
cjswing (guest)
-1
15 years ago (2009-05-28)
Enough with all the incubus and demon rubbish. Its called sleep paralysis where you are asleep with your eyes open and often hallucinate monstrosities which choke you or sit on your chest giving you the heavy feeling. Me and my best friend suffer from it fairly regularly. People should only look to the paranormal demons etc when there is no obvious or common answer such as this. But that's just my opinion.
crystal8495 (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-04)
This stuff happens to me almost all the time, it's actually sad... I managed to survive this stuff since age 4. When I woke up I never saw anything with horns though I either saw nothing or I saw... Something without horns. If you can't talk try praying in your mind or saying jesus's name over and over again.
theknowingman (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-04)
I don't know what the thing was it sounds to me a deamon you have encounter but beware it could be slowly taking your soule or you could possbly gooing crazy or insane snd possbly put in a home for crazy and insane people but let god into your heart pray every night before bed may god bless you with all his might. Commet by thenowingman send a message.god- 😁 your heart- ❤ your heart opened- 😊
Demonologist13 (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-04)
Have you been previously involved in any occult practices? (Ouija boards, seances, casting spells,etc.) These can open doors and invite unwanted attention from spirits. Attacks like these can come from hexes or curses sent by someone who is angry at you.
The foggy appearance of this spectre is common with certain types of demons. Some paranormal investigators refer to these as shadow people.
Since you are Catholic, you could get a St. Benedict medal and ask your local priest to bless it. The metal contains a Latin prayer that orders demons to drink the cup of their own poision. Wear the metal at all times. You can also seal your room by placing four blessed St. Benedict metals in the four corners of the room.

Pray the Lord's prayer before retiring. Demons detest to hear it.

Sometimes, spirits become attached to people who enter an infested location. Perhaps the cabin where you slept had a negative history.

May the peace of Christ guard your sleep.
Demonologist13 😐
Samie (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-02)
Well hey, Don't worry I'm a sensitive (a person who can try to control ghost or demon) well the thing is to try to scream for someone to help or you can try to scream for God. From what I learn in my time of being a sensitive my powers can get the ghost away but not a demon. I do no one thing is that 3 sensitives (fire,wind,ice) can do the circle and SOMETIMES get the demons away. (I'm fire) Sensitives have a sent that makes ghost or demons come. (only to them) It sound to me it's Black Heart (a demon Maybe) 😕
Scarredsomtimes (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-01)
I have since then moved and have only been living at this new house for a couple of weeks. The incident prior to this once happened about 15 years before, do you think they are connected in anyway?

I am catholic and very active in church and believe me after the second incident I pray ALOT. It was very scary and I hope no one has to ever experience it!
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-01)
The only time I've heard of an incubus hurting some one was when a person can get movement while the attack and anger one to a point.
Miss_Violet (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-01)
I don't think an Incubus would try and hurt a person though. Just like zoajet said, they would touch to bring out pleasure, not try to kill. Although I'm not sure what it could be 😢 It sounded really scary!
Saurian89 (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-01)
I agree completely with preacher1. It had to have been an
Incubus. So good luck.
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-01)
Ok first of all, An incubus molest females like preacher1 said but never try to kill. So your not dealing with one. You may be facing a horned demon (demons with horns that usally try to use burte force to hurt some one.) Reserch the history of the house and have a exorcism done only after you try finding the house history. I you reserch a ghost (demon) then it will come back even it you already did an exorcism befor looking up the house history.
preacher1 (37 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-01)
What you are experiencing sounds like the work of a demon perhaps an incubus (a demon that tries to molest females while they are sleeping). You state that you play down experiences due to an over active imagination, this is a common mistake the sooner you deal with evil the less it has a hold on you. I don't know your religious preferences if any but you should turn to prayer and at least get a house blessing. If you find yourself being choked again scream out the name of Jesus and ask for his protection. Document everything that happens noting date time and occurrences. Prayers alone my help some what but you will probably need the help of professionals such as a priest (at the very least get your house blessed). Good luck and God bless

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: