You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Black Mark

Real Ghost Stories

The Black Mark

 

I would like to share a story my mother witnessed, for it happened to my mother's aunt in the 60's. I don't really know how to define what happened and what really happened. I will be pleased to have your point of view and knowledge on this subject.

My mother's aunt ("Betty ") was living with her in laws, husband and her 14 children (!) in a house the couple bought when they got married. The children grew older and all got married in their early twenties. Two of Betty's children left for another town and the 12 others lived near her or with her in the house. This house didn't show any paranormal activity until one day, a black mark appeared on a wall. This mark was looking like the head of a horse. Not knowing what it was, Betty and her husband tried to paint over the mark, and scrape the plaster, but the mark would reappear days later.

Few months after the appearance of the mark, one of Betty's daughters suddenly got very ill, and died within few weeks. Two years later, another daughter died from another sudden sickness. A couple of years after the 2nd death, another child died,...This kept going on until 12 of Betty's children passed away in their twenties, due to different illnesses. Once the 12th child was buried, the mark disappeared. The two survivors were the ones that had left the town. After that the mark disappeared, nothing else happened, and the house still belongs to the family.

What do you think this mark could be?

Is it somehow responsible or related to these deaths? (It was not common at the time to have so many deaths in a family).

Other hauntings by Christa

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Greece

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Christa, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jerryhend1 (3 stories) (136 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-17)
Ok, ok, everybody just calm down for a minute, a curse? Please don't put us back in the stoneage with that. And from what I understand if you do place a curse, it comes back upon the person that placed the said curse three fold. Are you reading this Wiccan, I suggest educating yourself. I must agree with grampa_ hann as he said "there could be a kind of sicknesses prevalent that time, or that there could be a sickness that was inherent in the genes. Or probably, an environmental problem specific to your area (house) " but 12 out of 14, now common no has that kind of bad luck, and they were in their 20's? And the two that survivde lived away from that town? Can we say arsenic? Now before anyone gets mad I'm not blaming the family, but if this happened today it would be on 20/20 or CSI Greece...
AuroraRosa (2 stories) (55 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-30)
yeesh, scary! Yeah, sounds like it was a curse.
I remember in fifth grade there was this friend of mine who had this tiny little crack on her desk. She tripped at recess and twisted her ankle and the crack got larger. She slammed her finger in a door and broke it and the crack got larger. Her dog went missing and the crack got larger. When it was stretching across half the desk maintenence gave her a new desk and suddenlly she had the best luck in the class. You now, fifth graders, we wanted to think she was cursed because it would make a fun game, but hey, maybe she actually was cursed. Anyway, my point was, if anything seems like it's bringing bad luck GET RID OF IT! Just some advice to anyone reading this post. I don't really have any advice on the actual story. But wow, sounds scary!
bm77136 (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-16)
I just wanted to say that I have heard of similar incidents that were attributed to curses.
Ghostluver (4 stories) (123 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-16)
*a very interesting story... There was a story about a man who bought a horse and it was dark, dark black and during the 3 days that the horse stayed at the house all of the mans crops, family, animals, everything died! So I think that it must be like a curse or something. Like what Lone wolf said, I think that it is a curse.
TheLightBeforeDawn (5 stories) (41 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-16)
I think that it's very likely that it was inherited, but it is very curious that only 12 of the 14 children died. Were the two that lived a certain sex? Say that all the ones that passed away were all girls and the last two are boys? Were the fathers all the same? Not trying to be a pessimist here but it does sound very genetic.

I am sorry for your Aunts losses.
Goddess Bless, I only hope the other two stay healthy.
preacher1 (37 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-16)
Crone
* I respect all religions/beliefs or what have you, but understand I am speaking from a Christian stand point. Although I am no expert I am well aware of Wiccan beliefs. I do not agree with your practice, I believe you believe what you're doing is right, but I am also aware of a more dark practice which can hurt people, this is what I speak of. For me power comes only from God, I turn to him for strength, protection, forgiveness ect. I have read books on the subject and can give you a list on why it is the wrong path but on the flip side I'm sure you can give me a list of why it is the right path. I am only offering advice based on Christian belief and not trying to force my beliefs on anyone just those who wish to hear it. By the way if you Google a web definition of witchcraft it means the art of sorcery and if you Google sorcery it means the belief in magical spells that harness occult forces or evil spirits to produce unnatural effects in the world, now look up witch:. Enchantress: a female sorcerer or magician, a being (usually female) imagined to have special powers derived from the devil. This is what I speak of and I am aware of is still in practice today from ancient times. I am not saying this is part of your belief/practice, I do believe that there are witches (wiccans) who do wish to do good. Just like I do not hold a Muslim belief but I also do not believe all Muslims are extremists or wish to do harm. Hope this clarified things for you God bless.
Crone3 (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-15)
Dear Preacher,
I promise wytchcraft wasn't involved. We do not do negative events/procedures. We are simply country people living off the land and do no harm... That means to ourselves or to others.
Please do not be cruel. Educate. We protect the Earth and would not harm or kill a person or animal. Although we call our prayer a spell... It is still the same intent. There's no magick beyond what you call prayer. We all live within the boundries here in the real world. You pray for people who are ill to become well. We send healing energies with a candle lit, which is what you'd call a "spell" to also help heal.
We only live a simple life. Do not misconstrue a wytch for a person who believes in dark essences. We do not. We know that education is positive, refusal to educate is the true evil. A true wytch and not a "wanna-be" teen that is only out to buck their parent would never harm. Please educate and live with others in peace. My blessings to you. You face no fears from us.
-Crone ❤
preacher1 (37 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-14)
I think that there was some sort of witch craft involved. I have read that witches can conjure up demons to torment there intended victims. The only recorded case of a demon/ghost actually killing some one is that of the bell witch but I'm sure there are many unrecorded cases. I have read and agree with the statement that there is no real magical spell that people can send upon you but more in part that an entity is conjured up and must physically do these things to you. For example: If I throw some thing at you and you didn't see me do it would you think that the object just lifted up on its own and attacked you? Probably not. I am sorry for your family's loss and hope all is well in your future, God Bless.
grampa_hann (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-14)
this is interesting. Although, before I jump into the conclusion that this was a curse, I would suggest that you get to learn what the causes of their deaths are. Given that that time (60s), medicine wasn't as advanced as now, there could be a kind of sicknesses prevalent that time, or that there could be a sickness that was inherent in the genes. Or probably, an environmental problem specific to your area (house) that could've evolved/developed that could've caused the people within the family to get sick. Just an idea.:)
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-13)
Very weird indeed, as previous posters have mentioned it does sound like a curse on the house I wonder what the history of the previous residents living there is like?
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-13)
I agree, it sounds a little like some kind of curse, or maybe it was a warning.
I looked up some stuff on the internet, a horse can mean a lot of things, but in ways the it's relevant to your story is:
Life or Death,
Carrier of burdens,
Coping under difficult circumstances.
I hope this helps and thanks for sharing. ❤
Lone_Wolf (36 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-13)
I spoke with my order and it seems that I was correct-this could easily be a curse. Another thought though, Has the wall been checked for mold. A cynical point, but maybe valid. I try to bring everything to the table. 😐
Saurian89 (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-13)
It sounds like death is trying to fill
Its quota of death. Or it could be an
Ancient cursed seal. 😐
mandalyn05 (5 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-13)
I've heard of this kind of thing before, but not exactly how you put it. I saw something on the Travel Channel about a jail cell with a handprint that never disappears. The person who supposedly made the handprint was wrongly accused of murder and hung right before he was proved innocent. They say the handprint is there as proof of his innocence.
Lone_Wolf (36 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-13)
I've heard tell of a black horse that follows around a former friend of mine, but it never caused any destruction. It's sounds like a curse of some kind. Was the family ever involved in anything that someone may view as an injustice? Taht sounds strangly specific.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: