You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: He's Still At The Funeral Home

Real Ghost Stories

He's Still At The Funeral Home

 

Although I have had many "experiences" with the "supernatural", I am going to start with the most recent and go from there. To give you some background, I work in a Funeral Home as an Administrative Assistant, in Kirtland, New Mexico. I know, I know, a Funeral Home, but I am perfectly comfortable there. I have been alone in there on a number of occasions while the Directors are off on a service which is when I notice things more often than not. The main reason for this I think is because when the building is empty of others it is usually quiet, except for the music that is a constant during the day, but when others are there, there is a lot of talking and conversing going on which tends to "block" the sounds of anything "spiritual" going on, or you just brush off the sounds as someone else in the building with you.

My office sits at the front of the building to the left of the Front entryway, with the Bathrooms on the other side of my office as well as the door to the "Prep Room". The "Arrangement room" door is cattycorner to my office door (in the same hallway); with the Chapel to the right of the entrance and two more offices and the break room behind that.

The Funeral Home used to be a Private residence, and then was a Church before it finally became a Funeral Home. I'm not exactly sure how long the building has been there but plan on doing some research on it when I have the time to do so without interruption.

My first time alone in the building was probably about 3 weeks ago, during my first week there. Jess and Brian, (I'm not using real names for obvious reasons), had to travel to another city for the services that day so I was left to "man the fort" so to speak, from 8:00 A.M., until they returned at around 3:30 P.M. That afternoon.

The first thing to happen was the sound of the front door opening and closing, including the little dinger going off, so I jumped up from the company computer, where I was working on some folders and books for a family, to go greet who ever it was that just came through the front door, only to find no one in the foyer. I shrugged it off as my imagination and went back into the office to continue with my work.

As the minutes passed I had forgotten all about the odd sounds of the front door and the dinger going off and was deep into my work at that time concentrating hard. By this time it was about 10:45 A.M. I had been there for a couple of hours alone already and was doing just fine, (like I said I don't get an "uncomfortable" feeling in there), when I heard someone walking through the building from behind me. So I, once again, left the computer where I was working, to go see if someone came in and I missed hearing the dinger to the door going off.

I started checking the rooms in the front of the building, making a complete circle to the back and around to the front of the building again, to find no one there. All I could think at this point was, "It has GOT to be my imagination.", and so I went back to my office to resume working again. About 10 minutes or so had passed by this time so it was probably about 11:00 A.M. This time when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

I turned to look and no one was there yet again so I said out loud, "Hello... Can I help you with something? Are you just curious about me because I'm new here, or are you wondering if I can tell that you're here?" I didn't get an answer much as I would have liked one just to know for sure that I wasn't "loosing it", but the activity stopped after that... Well for the rest of that day anyway.

Who ever or whatever is there in that building isn't harmful or I would have felt very uncomfortable there alone I'm sure. I have talked to Jess about it, which has been there for 3 years now and she admits that she has had some experiences there as well but never anything "harmful" just more "curious" than anything. We do have some remains of an "unclaimed" person in our garage that we can't do anything with so his remains stay there, but neither Jess or I know if it is actually him that is there or if its previous owners of the building.

What I have done though is when I enter the building, if no ones in the front entryway or close by, I say " Hello Teddy" as a just in case it is in fact he who is the remains in our garage. If it's not him I'm sure that eventually whoever it is will let me know in some way "Hey that's not me! I am so and so!" and I will change my new habits. Until then I like to think its Teddy and he is just looking for some acknowledgment to the fact that he is who he is.

I do realize this could be my imagination or even what could be chocked up to nervousness of being alone in a Funeral Home, however I myself do not believe this is the case since I have never felt uncomfortable there since beginning my job there or even before obtaining the job itself.

Thank you all for the chance to submit one of my stories and comments are welcome as long as they aren't derogative. I hope to post more of my stories soon.

Other hauntings by Synndill

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Synndill, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Synndill (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-21)
Thank you bm77136:) I think its the initial fear that gets us all going at first. But it really does make the day go by better knowing that there is someone or something there that can be asked for help if needed in a spiritual sense.

Hobbyholly- I did hear today that Teddy will be going to our offices in Albuquerque (thats a rough one to spell LOL), to be cremated and placed in a vault with other unclaimed cremains. Its sad that he won't be getting "his own place" but at least he will be getting some recognition from the funeral personel.

I don't think who ever IS there is going anywhere though unless "Jess" and I got our "goodbye" today. I'll have to write that one up and submit it while it is still fresh in my mind.
bm77136 (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-21)
Great story. I think that is the sort of thing that people expect to see in a funeral home. I know that once I got past the fear, that a visitor like that would make a quiet place a little more interesting!
Synndill (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-20)
Thank you both😁 It's hard to explain why I come across so brave like that, but in actuality I'm usually shaking in my boots lol.
I think the reason I can react so calmly is because as far back as I can remember there has been "something" around. There have been many times I've ran out of places swearing I'd never go back. I guess it mainly depends on the "vibes" I get, I really don't know how to explain it.
I have to agree with you Tonith, I don't know if remains in the garage are enough for him to be there as a constant either. I do know the building was once a house and then was a church, I'm wanting to dig more into its history but me and my computer are having "issues" over it. Everytime I think I find something on the property my comp either freezes or shuts down on me. Almost as if to say "not yet girlie!" 😕
CutishIvy (47 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-20)
nice story... And great attitude... You're so brave... üü hope to read more of your stories... üü
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-20)
Anyone else would have been running out of that place in a flash. Kudos. Seems like you are suited for such a job. If this spirit was menacing I'm sure you would have gotten that vibe but you didn't. You talked to it like you would a person and seems like it respected your input and allowed you to go about your work. Maybe all he needed was to know someone acknowledged his presence. I don't know if unclaimed remains would make a spirit stay in a funeral home. It could be more residual in that maybe whoever worked there just didn't want to leave. Hard to say.
Synndill (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-19)
I do appoligize for taking so long to respond... I have a 4 year old who likes to keep mama going on 50 million other things when she thinks I'm "ignoring" her LOL!
It really IS interesting to work there without a doubt! 😊 I am hopeing to begin on the research this week if all goes well. Since I'm "part time" right now I have a bit more time to "play around" at home when my daughter isn't demanding attention haha.
If I do find anything out about it I'll be sure to catch everyone up! THank you for the comments! 😁
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-18)
Very interesting. I have always heard that things like this happen in a funeral home I guess because of the whole nature of it I assume.
I know that if you don't feel unconfortable or scared there shouldn't be a reason to worry I would just do what you said do some research on the property and history of the home and see what you can find. There might be an answer to many of your question and maybe additional info to it.
Thanks for sharing!
Synndill (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-18)
LOL and then some! I've had a few there already to say the least which was schoking a bit since I haven't been there all that long really (only about 2 months).
I have asked if we could place his remains in a plot of his own but my understanding was that without a release from the family we can't do anything with him 😢
I hope to be able to compose some more of my experiences soon, it all depends on kids and work haha. Thank you for the comment Holly!
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-18)
Very interesting. If anyone was going to have an experience it would be in a funeral home I imagine.

About the remains in the garage: Can those be sent to a medical facility? Or maybe a college for med students to research?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope to hear more in the future!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: