You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Something In Our Old Apartment

Real Ghost Stories

Something In Our Old Apartment

 

We were living in a Low Income apartment complex in Aztec, New Mexico that was built sometime in the late 60's early 70's, when the events took place. I have attempted to get information on the complex itself only to hear a number of different "possibilities" of why the apartments have their "issues". We recently moved out of the apartment for a number of other reasons.

To give a bit of a history on the events themselves, my children and I were there for about 6 years, my fiancé moved in during our last 3 years there, and my daughter was born our second year living in the apartment. There have been a number of things that happened there but I won't go into (hopefully) to much detail on all of it this round. This story is a bit of why I felt we were being haunted there.

Our apartment wasn't a very big apartment it was only two bedrooms and one bathroom, a decent sized living-room, kitchen/dining-room and the front door. The bedrooms, bathroom and front door were down a short hallway from the living-room and kitchen/dining-room. To explain what I mean by "short" the hallway was only maybe 20 feet long if even that. That same hallway is where the following events took place. Paige (my daughter) was only maybe two years old at the time and had a somewhat decent vocabulary (enough that Clinton (my fiancé), my three older boys and I could get the "gist" of what she was saying while others still had difficulties understanding her. Bedtime in our house for the kids is always 8:30p.m on school nights, and 9:30p.m. On weekends (even for my now thirteen year old son), so that us adults can have some peace and quiet (on occasion), and to relax a few before we head off to bed as well.

Nightly Paige could be heard saying "Doe (go) way" or "weave (leave) me lone" which Clinton and I first thought it was her brothers picking on her. When we'd head down the hallway to go check on them and make the "picking" stop, we thought they'd hear us and "pretend" to be asleep, so we "stealth-ed" down the hall with the living-room lights turned down low so we wouldn't have the shadows ahead of us for the kids to see. We would get to their bedroom and the boys would all be out cold so to speak, leaving Paige the only one awake. Clinton would tell her to go to sleep and she would say things like "the boy is talking to loud", or "the bad thing won't go way" (in a toddler like way of-course) along with a few other things. Clinton didn't know what to make of it so he would send me into the room, unless I was already in there with him and he would just kiss her good night again and leave the room so I could "handle it".

My way of handling it was to say out loud and as nicely as I could "Please leave my little one alone, she doesn't know why you're here because she is too young to understand and you're scaring her". Usually she would tell me "dey (they) weft (left) mommy" but every now and then she'd tell me they said "No" so I would have to get a little more "demanding" and say "If you refuse to leave and continue to scare her I will be forced to make you leave and I don't want to make you mad either so please just go" and Paige would tell me they left.

Clinton and I talked about it a few times on his terms and he thought it was just her imagination, which I did and still do agree that it IS possible that that's what it could have been... At first. Every now and then Clinton and I would also get the "feeling" that something or someone was in the hallway and whatever or whoever it was wasn't "good".

There were many nights where one or both of us would be walking down the hallway, get that "feeling" and take off at a dead run (no pun intended) for our room and dive into our bed as we shut the door behind us (I'm not always brave enough to "face" them myself). Clinton still tends to say that he doesn't know why he would get those feelings or if it was even what I think it was, as he had never had "experiences" before he met me. It's not that he DOESN'T believe it is just that he never had "things" happen to him before.

If I remember right, it was January (maybe February), of 2007 at about 10:00 p.m., Clinton and I were sitting in the living-room watching TV and we hadn't heard a single sound out of the kids room for at least an hour, when all of a sudden here comes Paige with one of those plastic tube whistles into the hallway, right underneath our smoke detector, and she's yelling "DOE WAY YOU TUPID TING" while waving the whistle in the air above her head as if to "beat up" whatever was there. I went and got her and asked her what was going on and she told me it was a scary thing that had been yelling at her and it made her mad. I handled it the same way I always did but added a bit of a protection after wards with a chant a very good friend of mine, (this was something handed down in her family), had taught me as a "just in case".

Clinton couldn't chock it up to imagination after that, he told me "I think you're right Baby, I think we do have a ghost or SOMETHING in here with us" and asked me to call "Jess" to come over and see what she thinks about it. "Jess" was more than happy to come by and listen to what we had to say and she did a "smudging" on the apartment for us so nothing "bad" could get in, but the "good" could stay. She is more "practiced" than I am and has better "grounding" abilities than I do so when something like this needs to be done and done "right", I call on "Jess". She has been my savior in many things over the last 14 years, since I don't claim to be anything more than a "student" or an "apprentice" because of past mistakes.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story and for any positive feedback:) I will have more on this particular apartment in the future I hope.

Mandi

Other hauntings by Synndill

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Synndill, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

dstock792000 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-24)
Hey girl, I'ts Dawn. I had stuff happen in those apartments too. The kids saw a shadow walk up and down the hall a bunch. I used to get that someone is watching me feeling too. Our neighbors saw stuff too.
vedagalagnara (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-16)
HAHA! Paige was so cute when she was waving her hand over her head something like about to "beat up" Haha! Hope she's doing good!:)
bubba (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-18)
Great story, I really enjoyed it. Would love to hear more about the apartment. But hope you are finding peace in your new home. To me, any ghost that picks on a child, nice or not is evil. Children are innocent and can be traumatized for life from some events.
Hope Paige is coping well with those scary things that happened to her.
Synndill (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-26)
Thanks Ghostluver:) We are doing really well in our new home so far:) I hope to get the chance to post more about the apartment when we did still live there I just have to wait until I'm not at work;)
Ghostluver (4 stories) (123 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-24)
Cool story. I hope you and your family are doing awesome! Thanks for posting this story!
Synndill (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-23)
Hey Tonith:) THank you so much for your comment!
Its very easy for it to have been imagination and that's something I do try to keep in mind, but like you said it didn't seem like a childs imagination or nightmares/night terrors. This part of New Mexico is rich with native history, the apartment complex was built in an area they think may have at one time been an Anasazi building site. From what some of the Navajo have said, and the historians from Aztec Ruins National Park, the Anasazi had dwellings, much like a city, spread all over Aztec, Farmington, and Bloomfield (where we have another ruins site they call Salmon Ruins), and a roadway system between them all clear down to Chaco Canyon and up to Mesa Verde. Sadly enough Aztec Ruins sin't a very big park its quite small really compared to Chaco Canyon and Mesa Verde since many of the dwellings had been "removed" long before the park was built.
Sorry for the history lesson (I have bad habbits). Our new place doesn't seem to have much activity or is more settled maybe? The main thing we get in the middle of the night in our new home so far is aabout 10-15 deer wandering through. Very beautiful to watch though!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-22)
Children can have nightmares and night terrors because of change which can be stressful. A new house, a divorce, a new person in your life can all attribute to these symptoms in children. However, this story may be more than that. It could have something to do with the land the complex was built on. Your daughter may be sensitive by nature and that's why it seemed to be happening mostly to her. You mentioned that you were aware of such things yourself and I think you did the right thing in how you handled it. I hope the new place is less active or at least whatever is there is not threatening. You sound like a very intelligent, grounded person and what you described is very typical of a intelligent haunting. I hope whatever was there hasn't followed you to your new abode.
Synndill (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-21)
Thank you again bm77136:) You deffinately do feel better in the moment knowing you got away! I hope to be able to get most written up soon:)
bm77136 (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-21)
I totally relate to the mad dash down the hall! Its something that I do up my basement stairs or back from a trip to the bathroom at night. It doesn't matter how silly you feel afterward because you felt better in the moment. Great story by the way, I can't wait to hear more on this apartment.
Synndill (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-21)
LOL Yes our Rent was decent since they based it off of my income at the time ha-ha!We only paid $48 a month because I was working part time at the local dollar store. I'm SO glad I have a better job now and a MUCH nicer place with LOTS of land to go with it ROFL!

My older boys don't mention anything to me if they have seen anything... Not since they were still very little. But Tommy (my 13 year old) used to cry when it would rain saying "the world is going to flood!". He hasn't done that since he was about 5 years old though.

My youngest son (who is 8 years old today!) has recently told me he saw "something" a few times in the old apartment and, most recently here in the hallway of our new house, "a shadow thingy with yellow eyes and a messed up looking face" (his words), both places. I kind of wonder if its his imagination (even though I kind of doubt that), or if its something that followed HIM and my daughter... Definitly something to wonder about...

The mad dash and the relief after was definitly felt in that apartment. I don't know what or who it was if not just us "imagining" it all, but it was interesting to say the least and a BIG learning experience for Clinton!
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-21)
Hope your rent is decent. Haha... Just a little joke.

Do your boys ever see anything? Do you know anything about the building or land?

I know that feeling you describe you sometimes get in the hallway. I've experienced that in my childhood home. You feel foolish making that mad dash... But it is also a relief.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: