You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Feathers From Heaven

Real Ghost Stories

Feathers From Heaven

 

In the beginning months of my freshman year in high school (I'm 27 now), a good friend committed suicide. Leah was always a bit depressed and had a history of mental illness, but she was a good person with a compassionate heart.

Leah was a poet and wrote rather morbid poems. One was found very shortly after her death, speaking of suicide. It tore at all of her friends, considering how close the poem was to her actual death. The line that really stuck out for my boyfriend and I was "...Place 2 white doves on my grave and tell them I died for love..."

All of her friends were encouraged to go to her church for youth group to have a chance to mourn in a safe place with others that knew and loved her; so after a little debate (I am not a particularly religious person that would rather stay out of church) my friends and I went over to the church for youth group.

Being the delinquents that we were, we sat outside and smoked cigs for a time before stepping in. While out there, we met with a group leader, whom I will call 'E'. We stepped inside, while 'E' stayed out and waited for a few stragglers left outside smoking. Soon he came in with a stunned look on his face. 'so weird...look' he held up his hand and showed us a bunch of pure white feathers. I was waiting to see if anyone else was coming, and finishing my smoke when all of a sudden, it started raining feathers. My boyfriend and I looked at each other. We were both thinking, ok, they know about the poem.

Later we found out that the church wanted us to help at her wake by picking out a few bible passages and having a few of us read them at the wake. While we were all talking about that, the priest came in with a package, "Leah's family made a donation to the church in Leah's name, and we have purchased this statue to be dedicated to her. I would like to pass it around for all of you to see."

The statue slowly made its way around the group, and when it came to my boyfriend, he turned to me and said, "Look, its her doves." The statue was of a blonde girl with wings, wearing a white gown with a pink sash, and on the tips of her fingers, were two white doves.

I stepped up to the priest and handed him a copy of Leah's poem. He read it and looked up shocked. "This was Leah's?"

I said, "Yes, she wrote it."

He looked at the statue in my hand and said, "We had no idea when we purchased the statue, we just thought it looked like her."

At her funeral, we were all given flowers to place on her casket. One by one we all filed past, placing a rose on the coffin. My boyfriend was particularly upset (Leah had always crushed on him, and he always avoided her when a dance was coming up, so he didn't have to say no to her) and wanted to stay after everyone had left. We stood to the side as her parents had their last moments with her. My boyfriend stood over the open grave and wept as I held his hand. As we walked away, the wind kicked up, and as I looked back, feathers were floating toward the grave...

Other hauntings by phunkyd

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, phunkyd, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

signup (31 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-17)
She sound like very sweet girl. Is there some history she might have?

Anything about her parents or childhood or some?
banditadi (13 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-07-02)
Hey...this is a bit irrelevent, but I have mailed on your id... Do read it and respond.
phunkyd (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-08)
Thank you everyone. I have had a lot of paranormal experiences in my life, but this was one of the most profound. I never saw her spirit, but I felt her presence from time to time, especially when I was young and going through tough times in my life. Now that I am older, I sense her less, but I know that she is around.

Banditadi- Thank you for your kind words. I am glad to hear that my story has touched you. I have always felt myself to be an old soul, one that has had it's turn a few times, so it is possible that we have known each other in the past. Feel free to email me at d_lindsay at rocketmail dot com ❤ ❤
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-08)
Bandit that is amazing. I have experienced that kind of feeling before for no apparent reason, except for the feeling. I think you two should seriously talk about that, and see if it is a real connection or just a whim.

Also I thought the story was beautiful as well. That is completely profound.
Stacers (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-07)
wow that's amazing. Did you ever see Leah after that you know like her ghost?
banditadi (13 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-07)
You did post it as a ghost story... But did you know the beauty, the warmth in it... One of the best... Or should I say the best story on this sight... I am your fan. No I do not want to comment on any of the phenomena in your story but still I do not know why I want to... But I want to thank you right from the core of my heart for sharing this beautiful story... I almost felt some kind of connection with you... Almost as if I know you from some other time... God bless you dear...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: