You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Awake And Unable To Move Or Breath

Real Ghost Stories

Awake And Unable To Move Or Breath

 

This experience happened to me just last night; it was around 11:45 pm and I was asleep when for no reason I woke up and at that very same instance I realised I was having trouble breathing. I was grasping for air and the best I could do was take fast breaths of air, I didn't think much about it that very same second until I tried getting up from bed. I tried moving my arms but they felt like they were being restrained down by something very heavy, I struggled like this for a couple of seconds. I moved my right arm up and just when I thought I had it freed it was pushed back down to the side of my body again. At this moment I realised I wasn't getting away, the best I could do was move my head to the side and try to scream for help but I wasn't able to talk nothing was coming out of my mouth. I moved my head back up and just as I did this I thought I saw a dark shadow crawling up my wall into the ceiling (this I'm not so sure of), but just I "thought" I saw this, there was sort of a laugh near my ear that seemed to be echoing and it was followed by a ringing noise, this noise I can't explain it's just something I've never heard before. This noise was there for a minute or two and as it started to fade away the pressure that I felt holding my whole body down faded away with it. I felt this pressure lift from my chest first then my arms and finally the rest of my body, the first thing I did after this is I took a deep breath and just felt relieved.

I laid in bed for a couple of minutes after this and kept hearing a buzzing noise in the room, but that didn't bother me as much as the thought of feeling helpless, I kept thinking and looking for an explanation in my head but I could not think of anything logical. The rest of the night I tried sleeping but felt more secure if I slept on the side of my body instead of on my back, and finally fell back asleep.

This morning I woke up to find that my right wrist is bruised and just to assure myself that I wasn't just seeing things I asked my co-worker at work to look at my wrist and tell me what she saw, and right away she asked why my wrist was bruised. Up to this moment I'm still trying to find an answer to my many questions about what happened.

Does anyone have an idea of what this might be? Just for information I don't do witchcraft or whatever it might be called, and I don't practice religion. In the past I have had several other experiences that I can't explain and it's been happening since I was a small boy, I sometimes sense things no matter where I might be; but this experience is the closest I have gotten to being harmed. If anyone can help please do... Thank you

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, EPTX, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

wtf1990 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-17)
A couple of weeks ago, I had just come home around 3 am from a smoking session, and layed on the couch of my living room. I remember just watching t.v then out the corner of my eye I noticed a set of female shoes parallel to each other facing me. As I'm trying to remember since when had those shoes been there in that position, the back heel part of the shoes start bending down, by it self. Both heels were going down at the exact same time. And I got spooked, I just sat there watching the heels go down. Then as I moved my left leg, I felt like some kind of tension in that leg, and I start getting cold all over my body. I move my leg from that position and my body temperature returns to normal. I do that about 5 times to make sure I'm not tripping of the high and I kept feeling that tension. I tried speaking to it, telling it that I respect what ever it is and that I don't want nothing haunting me. A couple of minutes go by and I get up to inspect the shoes, and as I'm doing that, I feel like an airy blow towards my stomach. Like it's intention was to hit me in the stomach. I start getting really cold after that, so I go to lay down and let whatever it was be. As I put on the blanket, my face starts getting really warm. I was just cold then I'm warm! I start getting weird vibes after that. I just ignore those feelings when they come up.

Then just last I had this same experience last night. I live in a "ghetto" environment in oakland and I don't practice religion. I remember I kept waking up all night around 2 am, I would go to sleep for like maybe a couple of minutes then abruptly woke up. This happened like maybe ten times. I was very warm too, so I took off my shirt to cool down. After that, I went to sleep for longer, then I just woke up, not abruptly like before but sleepy and tired. I just couldn't move, like there was some slight pressure in my whole body. I remember thinking wtf? Then I felt like a tug in my testicles, like somebody started pulling my testicles but it didn't hurt, just a continuous tug. As that happen my upper body lifted like a couple inches off my bed, at the same time my legs lifted too. Then I started to do a slow spin on my butt, I just did one slow spin and I realized that something was messing with me again, that's when I tried to yell out, but I kept moaning. I kept moaning until finally I screamed and the pressure on my body was gone at the same time. I just lay there in bed trying to figure out what happened. I had experiences before when I was a kid that I couldn't move but was awake. I just thought it was my body somehow still tired or something but then I realized that it doesn't take long to be able to move after waking up. And this morning I asked my mom if she heard me scream last night, and she said yes, that I laughed right after screaming too. Thing is I never laughed, I just layed in bed after yelling. I didn't hear a laugh but she did. O.O
MrCoolGuy (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-28)
I hAd this happen to me before while staying in Juarez Mexico one night.
roccom49 (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-24)
Similar event with me... I was in bed with my girlfriend at the time and we just had gone to sleep. I fell asleep very easily that night I remember. But I awoke, and it was as if I was in a situation where you feel you may be dreaming perhaps but also feel like you could be awake...? Perhaps you know the feelings. But I awoke on my back and could not lift my arms, legs, or head. I felt like I was having a panic attack. It seemed to last very briefly... I remember I accepted the fact I couldn't move and, being a wrestler and athlete, attempted to control my breathing and panic. I then seem to just "accept" I couldn't move and fell back into sleep... Not sure but I felt in limbo during this time. The following night I was sleeping by myself and awoke on my side; a feeling of tension was on my arms. I just sat up and in a calm, but room level voice said "Whomever you are, I need to get a good night's sleep and I would appreciate it if you allowed it to happen." I went to sleep and never had any experiences like it again.
Dartanyanishere (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-05)
I'm a guy that also lives in MD right now. I'm 28 about to be 29 years of age. I came upon your story because I in fact have the same happenings to myself. Just last night was the most recent and it happened to me about 9 times back to back. This has been happening to me for years though. Ever since I was at least 6 or 7 years old. I also move my head left and right to get "free" from whatever is going on. Now days though I just stay in this state to see what happens. I've become that curious and unafraid through the years. The one things that makes me believe you is this. In every single house that I slept in and this occurs. Somebody always tells me that it's haunted. Except for one that I lived at alone and told myself it was haunted due to noises I would hear hours before going to bed. Things such and mirrors falling and breaking. Loud steps. All kinds of things, and this is while awake during early hours anytime of the day.
This thing last night I came home from hanging out with that car friends I know because I race import cars and we have meets. When I got here my roommate just came up to me and said he heard the door open earlier and heard footsteps run up the stairs. He thought I had come home early but then he said he went upstairs and my door was wide open, which I never do, and noticed that I was in fact not home. When I got home my door was open and I asked him why did he leave my door open and he said it was already open. I NEVER leave my door open. Not even when I'm in my room.
This same night which was last night. I had the awake and can't move thing happen to me over and over. For some reason I can go back to it. I go back to it because I'm curious I guess. To describe what I go through would be... I'd be laying there and I can still see. So I look around then I feel like somebody is there so I try to sit up but can't. That's when I know I'm there and it's happening. While I'm like this sometimes it feels like whatever is trying to pull me off the bed but that's only sometimes. Since I did this last night about 8 time's, some of the times just felt like somebody was holding me. I've gotten to where I can raise one arm now. I can also talk but it takes about 4 seconds for me to "try" get the word out. The word never fully come out though, just a audible moan. My girfriend actually heard me one night and asked me what I was doing because I had been fighting this... Whatever it is one night and I spoke. The words still came out as a moan but she heard it. I have lots of things I can tell you that happen to me because I go looking for it when it does happen. Different houses etc etc. Whatever is going on... This is not some sleep paralysis...It's definitely something else.
voodoogoddess (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-05)
Strange coincidence I forgot about in my experience... I have been trying to conserve more energy & decided to turn off the TV last night before we went to bed. Every other night its on with the volume down to barely audible. Figures the one night I turn it off this has to happen to me!

Don't know if its relevant but you can be sure that the TV will be on tonite!
voodoogoddess (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-05)
Wow! EPTX, I have lost sleep since yesterday with a similar experience. I went to sleep on my back due to congestion. I was sleeping with my hubby next to me & our youngest (toddler) has his bed pulled next to ours at night (still in crib). I woke up (or at least I thought I did) at 2:33am struggling to scream out husband's name to help me. The room was dark with exception of a nightlight and it almost seemed as though I could see us in the bed but wasn't in my own body - except that I could feel what was happening.

I couldn't scream, felt like I had to learn how to make my mouth/throat make sound again. My wrists were restrained at my sides so I couldn't reach out to hubby. There was a vibrating or buzzing type of sound & feeling as something seemed to be pulling at me from my lower half - like dragging me out of bed but my body physically wasn't going anywhere. There were no marks on me but I did feel a sharp puncture on my left lower leg. My voice finally broke through & hubby asked me what was wrong, what was going on. I told him to help me & turn on the lights.

I got out of bed & immediately went to check on our teenager. I got a bottle of Florida water out of the closet & flung it all around the house, demanded that whatever spirit was present to be gone. Prayed to God for protection and turned on the television. I was unable to go back to sleep for a a time & moved our toddler in between us where I laid on my side to face him. I noticed that he tossed & turned for about 15 minutes as if he was irritable & I spoke a few words of banishment & said more prayers and once he turned on his side, he went to sleep for the remainder of the night.

I am terrified for this evening to come and feel unprepared. I have burned the last 2 sage & dragon blood incense sticks I have & prayed profusely. Going to church doesn't help as I work in one & its known to have its own fair share of spirits. Any advice?

By the way, EPTX, I hope you've been able to regain normal sleep & haven't had a repeat of your experience. 😊
RLucz (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-05)
Comment on all of the stories of being "held down, unable to speak or scream" It is called
"phantomania" and it is demonic in nature. Sleep paralysis does not cause bruising. My daughter and I were attacked for 2 years experiencing the same thing. Lorraine Warren is the one who explained to me what was happening. I went through many avenues and people, eventually the catholic church but nothing worked only made it worse. What made the paranormal activity stop was me ending up at a small christian bible church and learning the Word of God. Don't let these "groups" fool you. There is only One that can really help you. Good luck to all of you- this can be turned into a really good thing in the end.
EPTX (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-12)
Thank you all for your comments I have been doing research on sleep paralysis and it sounds just about right but doesn't explain the bruise on my wrist. I'm hoping it won't happen again, It's just a horrible experience. I also found by reading plenty of books (I've had the time since I haven't really been sleeping well since it happened) that there is something similar called Phantomania. This experience has opened my mind to the paranormal and I wish to learn even more about it and maybe one day help other people who are being haunted by the paranormal.
AshleyHalliwell (4 stories) (100 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-12)
Wow, I am certainly glad to hear that your ok! That and have you thought about sleep paralysis. Someone's probably already mentioned it, but I thought that I might as well. I've actually induced sleep paralysis once. (I'm weird and wanted to see what would happen.) It was absolutly terrifying, but there's something that makes me believe that what you experianced wasn't sleep paralysis.

When I woke up, when I had induced sleep paralysis, I couldn't move. I just couldn't, but I didn't feel any type of pressure on my anywere. I couldn't even move my head. Because you said that you felt pressure, and your wrist was bruised, and you could move your head, this makes me pretty sure that you experianced some sort of demonic attack.

My friend has this saying (she's a strong christian-I'm not) 'An idle mind is a devils workshop.' If she means demons in general then this could be very true, because these type of attacks seem to happen when we're sleeping and when our brains are most relaxed. Just a little something for you to think about. I hope the demon doesn't come back for you and if it does I would suggest some sort of ritual, from whatever religion you are, to expell it from your house.
Kirsten_pax09 (10 stories) (72 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-11)
I had this happen to me once. I didn't see anything on top of me but I was paralyzed completely and couldn't talk or scream for help. The room was very dark, and I had been sleeping on my back, my head had been slightly tilted back because I had been pulling my pillow more under the back of my neck to give myself a more comfortable position to breath at night. I thought it felt good. And I would even pad my mattress with more pillows because it was so comfortable.

I remember feeling extremely relaxed when I went to sleep in this position. I even think I started out sleeping that night with my arms over my head resting freely over my pillow. It was in this position that I believe we leave ourselves open to this kind of attack. I remember waking up and when I went to move I couldn't. I was immediately panicking with fear having never gone through this before. I couldn't move but I remember looking carefully on top of chest and trying to see if I could see something, but I couldn't make out a form. The room was just dark.

I have heard of things like this before. When an evil spirit tries to take over your body they try to force their way into your chest and sometimes they have been known to try and choke or suffocate you in the process. Some people have been attacked like this while sleeping on their stomachs. This event has been called; "Phantomania or Old Hag Syndrome".

Possibly associated with Lilith the demoness who causes crib death to "unbaptized" infants. But I could still breath and I forced myself to become calm and even if I couldn't speak or call on God verbally, I could still pray in my mind. God can hear when we call on him in our minds and I started saying in my mind; "God help me please? Please help me God?" And in a matter of seconds my body regained it's control and I could finally speak. Whatever it was lost it's power over me.

I don't play with Ouija Boards, however my friend had been and I was frequently staying over her place. And we would have conversations about her activities with her Ouija Board. And she had been telling me about a male spirit who she met on the Ouija Board. This spirit was a guy who claims to have fallen in love with her and wanted to pursue a relationship with her even though he is dead. She was being seduced by many things he was saying to her to win her trust and affection. But I advised her against even talking to this spirit because, it could be a demon trying to fool her.

And I believe she really did stop contacting him because of my warnings. Well even if I didn't play with her Ouija Board myself, I think it followed me home to make trouble for me for meddling in her activities. It's amazing that this event took place a few days later. I believe it has something to do with that guy. Not long after my friend stopped getting on the Ouija Board to talk to this male spirit, she had a terrifying out of body experience that also started with this sleep paralysis stuff.

While she was napping on a sofa chair recliner in her living room, she remembers waking up filled with terror by a horrible presence surrounding her and she was paralyzed like we were. But she remembers hearing some horrible growling around her and she remembers getting up somehow out of her body and suddenly she was running around the room, around the reclining sofa chair screaming with something horrible chasing her. She remembers the pure demonic presence and could sense it so close practically breathing down the back of her neck. And she remembers getting back into her body but she couldn't move herself. She remembers what I told her about prayer, and she started praying to Christ to help her and finally this horrible event stopped and she was able to move again and speak and fully come out of it.

She remembers this event and she told me it was the most terrifying experience of her life.
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-10)
I'm sorry to hear that you were over come by an unknown power. I've written a similar story on this site a short while back. When I was held down I was fully awake with my girlfriend beside me. A large radiating shadow appeared above me, as if taunting me. I can honestly say that I think it was an entity of some kind holding you down. My father calls it the "Witch Ride" don't know why. It has been happening to him for over twenty years or so, still to today. It only happened to me the once. Hold your loved ones close in your mind, and if you believe in God definetly ask for Gods help when attacked. I'll pray it passes from you and never returns, stay positive and don't fear. Aloha - 4d ❤
chingvang559 (42 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-09)
This happens a lot in third world countries. It is called sleep paralysis in English but people from different continents base it on ghost. In my country, we get it when we go out to much, and a ghost follows us home.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-08)
This sounds like a classic state of sleep paralysis. You may have bruised your wrist during the paralysis episode trying to move your arm and hand.

Sleep paralysis can be utterly terrifying and I am in no way making light of your situation.

Try doing a little research (even if just on the net) about sleep paralysis so you may be more informed.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience,

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: