You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Was I Awake?

Real Ghost Stories

Was I Awake?

 

About 4 months ago I experienced something really unexplained. I was talking through text messages with my boyfriend at like around 1am. I could not sleep so I decided stayed up talking to him until late. Later that night, when it was about around 3:30am, I told him I was getting sleepy but wasn't going to go to sleep.

From all the fighting my sleep I ended up falling asleep around 4:15am until 4:27am and in between that time I have no idea what happened. I know did not feel when I actually closed my eyes to sleep (I did not tell my boyfriend I was going to sleep) his texts were still coming in. Between those 15 minutes, I experienced a feeling that I had never experienced before in my life.

I had my phone plugged on the charger at the top of my right shoulder. That's when I started to feel like I had weight on my stomach, legs and as if someone was holding my arms and fingers down on the bed. I don't know if my eyes were opened or closed but I know everything looked pitch dark. I remember trying to move my fingers but for some reason it was impossible for me to do so. I tried talking and calling my mom but since I couldn't move I didn't know what else to do.

I could not speak or move, all I felt was my breathing and it was really fast as if I was suffocating. It felt like I had that weight on me for hours! Suddenly I could move again, my heart was racing as if I had just ran for miles. That's when I reacted and got my hands on my phone and kept texting my boyfriend. I told him what had happened and he told me it might of been "que se me subio el muerto" in other words "a dead ones spirit was over me".

I searched up what it meant on google search. I had a lot of result pop up for "sleep paralysis" that's when I knew I had experienced Sleep Paralysis. I read that it is when your body is really tired but the brain is wide awake. The body stops functioning but the brain is still working as if it were wide awake. My boyfriend sent me a link on YouTube of what happens when when sleep paralyses takes over. In the video there was a lady laying down sound asleep on her bed, then her bedroom door started to open and bright light shined through while someone was coming through. It was a devil with pure blood shot red eyes walking towards her bed and climbing at the end of her bed to sit on top of her. It was around 4:45am at the time he sent me the link.

He then sent me a text message telling me not to watch it because it was going to scare me more. I'm more than sure he knew I was going to get scared because of the demon part which I had already watched. I turned off the video and as soon as I turned it off, my boyfriend Face-timed me so that I wouldn't feel lonely and scared. Like I said it was my first time experiencing sleep paralyses so I was terrified. He told me everything was going to be okay and that I probably experienced it because I was really tired and was fighting to stay awake.

If you have had anything similar please let me know... I would like to read about your experience as well.

Other hauntings by Sanchez_92

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sanchez_92, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-12-28)
French fries--Sleep paralysis IS NOT dangerous. It is a terrifying thing to experience but is completely benign. There are many, many articles on sleep paralysis online. Look some of them up, then read up and educate yourself on what sleep paralysis actually is before telling someone else, "it may cause death."

Try not to spread uninformed misinformation.
french_fries (guest)
-2
7 years ago (2016-12-28)
a lot of people experience that. From what I know, sleep paralysis only happens if you sleep on your back and your arms and legs are in a straight position. Be careful because it may cause death. To be safe, I suggest that you sleep on your sides or in a curled up position.
Sanchez_92 (7 stories) (52 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-08-02)
maggirockz13

Yes, It was a very uncomfortable and horrific situation I experienced.

I will most definitely read your story. I will for sure let you know of any confusion or questions as well.

Have a wonderful day,

Sanchez_92 ❤
maggirockz13 (13 stories) (163 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-08-01)
Hi Sanchez_92,

Your story has terrified me...
I know how scared you were at that time...
Please do read my story... Because after reading yours I thought I also maybe had sleep paralysis...
If you have any confusion while reading my story please do let me know. I will surely help you out.

Thanks for sharing your story.
Hope everything is fine.

Regards.
Meghna
(maggirockz13)
Sanchez_92 (7 stories) (52 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-31)
RANDYM

Thank you so much for much clear information.
I was terrified when it happened to me. I almost wanted to cry until I read about it on google. Especially because I felt like My breathing was going to stop so I panicked a bit and struggled to wake up. Yes, The room looks really dark but in some areas you can also see light but dark creatures moving around or at least that is what I saw, but like I said I did not know if my eyes were opened or closed.
I hope it doesn't happen again because I do not want to experience that feeling. If it does happen I will definitely take your advise on moving a finger at a time if I don't panic about it again.
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-07-31)
Sanchez 92

Hello
I have regular episodes of Sleep Par.
Here is what is is plain and simple.
When you are sleeping your brain releases as chemical that causes your body not to move. Doctors give a synthetic of the chemical during surgery so the body can't move.
Under normal sleep that chemical wears off before you come out of sleep. However, sometimes you wake up before that chemical wears off and you find yourself completely paralyzed.
It is extremely frightening if you don't know what is happening.
I had no idea there was such a thing and the first time it happened to me I thought I was dying. I have never been so scared in my life. Not sure why but a side effect of this is that it may seem that there are dark beings in the room with you. Just on the edge of your peripheral vision. You would be amazed at how real they seem. I still experience it every month or so. It can be caused by a number of things. High stress being one of the causes.
I know what it is now and it doesn't scare me anymore. It's more of an aggravation than anything. If it helps any, I have learned that when it happens to try and relax and start by moving just 1 finger at a time because it seems that if I try and fight it, it only becomes worse. BTW, The room does seem darker when it is happening. Not sure why.
I completely understand how real it can seem that you are not alone and I think most people who have had an episode will agree.
I hope for your sake it doesn't happen again but if it does try and relax and give it a minute and you will come out of it.

Have a great day
Randy
ashar123 (6 stories) (168 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-07-30)
A very ghastly experience. Devil sitting on a person, the thought is really spine chilling. I hope you should never feel it again.

Thanks for sharing! 😊
Sanchez_92 (7 stories) (52 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-27)
lady-glow

Ooh habla espanol! Genial!

Muchos Saludos,

Norma
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-26)
Sanchez: gracias por el link, la informacion en el video es muy interesante.

Saludos!
Chavez 😉
nolasara (3 stories) (18 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-07-26)
I have experienced sleep paralysis before. Mostly when I was in my teens. It was very frightening, but it does have a scientifically explained cause. Thank you for sharing!
Sanchez_92 (7 stories) (52 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-07-26)
lady-glow

Definitely! The video is explaining how sleep paralysis is or feels but it's just an explanatory of it. If it were really someone experiencing it I think I would get really scared because all you would hear is humming noises fighting against who knows what the person is imagining, Kind of like an exorcism.

My apologies I forgot to mention the video is in Spanish.

Https://youtu.be/x8sbU0yv9ew

I will definitely go read you experience right away. That's amazing how your Cats rescued you though. I would not have been too scared if someone or something I was close too helped me out of that situation.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-07-25)
Hi Sanchez: it definitely sounds like sleep paralysis.
Could you share the link to the YouTube video? It is common to have hallucinations during SP, but it wouldn't be possible to record them... I wonder if the video is a hoax or if this lady is having a real paranormal experience during her sleep.

I have had several episodes of SP during my life, it is scary if you do not know what is going on, but in the last one I was able to wake up with the help of one of my cats (dead one!) and, believe it or not, I would like to experience it again to see if my cat will rescue me again!
If interested, you could read all the details in my story "My visitor from rainbow bridge".

Sleeping properly could help preventing you to experience this again.

Take care and thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: