You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: It Looked Like My Mother

Real Ghost Stories

It Looked Like My Mother

 

It all started when I was 10 years old when my mother passed away from brain cancer. My father had canceled Mom's life insurance policy about 5 years before she died and 1 year before she had been diagnosed due to the fact that we weren't very financially stable. As a result after Mom died, we lost our home. So we'd had to move in with my father's parents.

We wanted to keep going to school where we had been and so for a while, my father drove us thirty minutes to school every morning and came to pick us up every evening. That got old quick. So my grandparents put their house up for sale and bought an old farming property in the district which my sister and I went to school. I hated that house immediately.

The house was small, didn't have running water, and the realtors told my grandparents that it was over 100 years old. I thought it was creepy. It only had 2 bedrooms so my grandparents took one bedroom and my father, sister, and myself had to share the second bedroom.

It was close to the 2 year anniversary of my mother's death at the time that my grandparents bought the Scharcher place. It was called that after the people who had originally built the house as far as I know.

One night after my family had all went to sleep, I had stayed up a little later as I wasn't the most obedient of children and was quite rebellious after Mom had died. I heard a noise like something falling in the walk-in closet. So I got up and walked in the closed to investigate. Nothing was out of place. So I assumed that it must have been my grandparents making noise in their bedroom as their bedroom was on the other side of the closet and so I walked back in my bedroom.

That's when I saw her. She was kneeling beside my father's bed and had her head down on the bed beside his face and it looked like she was crying. I didn't notice who the person was from a side profile, just that there was a woman there that shouldn't have been.

I stepped forward and a floorboard creaked. She looked up toward the sound and I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach and knocked the wind out of me. My mother stood ten feet in front of me. She held her arms open to me and my first instinct was to run into them, which is what I started to do. I only took a half step and stopped in my tracks.

I don't understand how I didn't notice it sooner, but I realized that her eyes were red and she had long fingernails that to a 12 year old looked like claws. She started coming toward me and I realized that her feet were not touching the ground. To say the least, I got very scared.

I ran past her and darted into my bed and pulled the covers up over my head, but she'd clawed my ankle before I could get there safely and it hurt. I waited a minute and then peeked out. The room was empty. I don't know how but I must've dozed off because the next thing I knew it was morning and my Mamaw was singing that "gotta get up this morning" song that she made up to annoy me as she was cooking breakfast.

I thought it had all been a nightmare, until I threw back the covers to get up and saw the gash on my ankle that had started forming a scab and the caked blood around it.

I try not to think about that night, but sometimes it's hard not to. It does hurt because since then I've never been able to have a good dream about my Mother. Though I do know without a doubt that whatever that thing was, it was not my Mom.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MouthoftheSouth, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Eclipse2000 (1 stories) (68 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-19)
And um he was killed in the 1940's or so... Well uh this is how it went he was possessed then killed, And so there was another thing I heard from someone else
A girl in her twenty's that live there (maybe where you lived, like I said I'm not sure) She was in her twenty's just about to move out, her and her parents lived there, let's say they heard her growl and things like so... Well when she was taking a bath they heard her screech, She had gashes down her back and ankles what ever it was wanted to drown her in the bath tub. They quickly moved some where else after that and that is all I know. 😲
Eclipse2000 (1 stories) (68 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-19)
My Aunt said well, that these Unearthly "things" take form of the ones that you love so much, and I hate to break it to you but that was NOT and I said NOT your mother! And so you said your house is more than 100 years old? I'm not so sure but... I may have heard of that place, let me tell you a German Soldier lived there and was un-a where of a demon in that closet, I may be right cause there was Scratches on the floor and words in German. Whom ever investigated that house said the words were lonely house or empty house. But I cannot remember! 😲 Oh and what ever it was killed and the people that saw it he had a bloody gash down his ankle, Your Lucky!
MouthoftheSouth (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-29)
perhaps it was something in the house. Haven't saw that thing since. Thanks for the feedback 😊
AuroraRosa (2 stories) (55 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-29)
wow that is such a creepy story! It sounds like something was in that house and saw that looking like your mother would be a good way to draw people toward it. I wold recommend wearing a cross or something like that. Good luck and hope things turn out ok in the end 😉 ❤
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-06-27)
MouthoftheSouth--I'm sorry for your losses--your mother, your house, your sense of security, and everafter of good dreams of your mother.
You do not say if you told anyone of that apparition, but if you hold onto it by yourself, it will be yours alone. Perhaps first you could sit down with your father and grandparents and ask them to tell you good things about your mother, to summon back the goodness that was in her. These may have a chance to replace your unpleasant vision.
I won't speculate on what you saw, but as a general rule intuition is not wrong. But anything evil or malicious, solid or spiritual, has a better chance to prevail over us if we do nothing but surrender to fear.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: