You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: I Think My Son Is Seeing A Spirit

Real Ghost Stories

I Think My Son Is Seeing A Spirit

 

I live in the house I grew up in as a child in Corpus Christi, TX. I am 28 and we moved there when I was 2. I remember having an experience in my bedroom as I was going to sleep; I was probably between 4 or five years old.

I had a children's movie viewer and I saw something jump out of it. First it was a lady - I talked to it, said hello, and then it changed in to a few other things, can't really remember, but it never talked back. Finally it changed into a fox or dog maybe and ran out of my room. I remember being terrified at first, but then when it ran I called it back, wanting to ask questions since it wasn't scary looking. I never had an experience after that.

I got married about 4 years ago and now have a 19 month little boy. I bought my house from my parents who have retired and moved out of town. My son sleeps in the same room I did when I was a child. We have officially lived there by ourselves for a little over a month and he has never had any problems going to sleep.

He has a childrens music box that hangs on his crib and plays music. Our nightly bedtime ritual has been the same - he takes a bath, brushes his teeth and then we read a story, turn on his music, turn off the light and close the door. He puts himself to sleep. He never cries, always just lies down and goes to sleep by himself.

About three days ago this all changed. Sunday night (today is Wednesday) I put him to bed as usual and went to go fold laundry in my room, which is in the back of the house. I heard my son fussing a little, but sometimes he plays or fusses and then goes to bed. This time he started screaming and crying like I have never heard out of him before. He climbed out of his crib and started banging on his door screaming mama mama mama!

Of course I ran to his aid and tried to calm him down. I took him back to his bed, but he was in a panic. So, I took him to my room for a bit and then after we both settled down (I was shocked to hear him scream like that - he was terrified) I took him back to his room and rocked him until he fell asleep. I closed his door and went to bed (this was about 10:30pm).

At 1am he woke up screaming again in the same petrified tone so I just put him in bed with my husband and I so we could sleep through the night (sort of).

During the day and even in the evening he is not afraid to go into his room and play or go get his toys as long as the light is on. If the light is off he just stares in there from the hallway.

He had to be rocked to sleep Monday night; when I said to him that it was time for bed he immediately went into panic mode, would not lay down in his crib even though I told him I was going to stay with him. I rocked him to sleep and left his door open instead of closing it and he did not wake up that night, thank goodness.

Last night I had class and my Mom came to babysit. I got home early enough to put him to bed and since he hadn't shown any anxiety during bedtime rituals I decided to try to put him to bed like before. He turned on his music box and laid down, no problem, he even hugged and kissed me goodnight. But when I turned off the light and closed the door he freaked out, climbed out of his crib even though I lowered the base to the very bottom - he still found a way out, and came running toward the door - I opened it immediately of course. He ran to my Mom who was sitting on the couch and sat with her. He just kept looking over her shoulder toward his room like there was something there. I ended up rocking him to sleep (I have been leaving the door open so he can see the light if he wakes up and hopefully won't be scared) and he was fine.

My son talks a little bit and the only weird thing he has done is point into the hallway (when I'm putting him to sleep) and say dada dada when his Dad isn't home. I have a dog and a cat and neither of them act out of the ordinary (barking into corners, things of that nature).

I have never felt cold spots in that room, had goose bumps, heard voices, heard footsteps or anything of that nature in this room. None of his toys go missing or get moved to different places than where I left them and nothing gets stacked. I have not seen anything since my childhood encounter and have never felt watched or creeped out until my son started acting this way. We have not had any relatives pass away recently and I can't think of any reason for a spirit to present itself now.

I guess I am looking for some understanding in regards to what is happening. My husband works two night shifts a week and I am really creeped out in my own house right now. I have been praying extensively in his room every night before I put him to bed, I just don't want him to be scared of his own room. I want him to feel safe, but am finding it hard to reassure him when I am a little scared myself.

Any advice and/or comments are welcome. What should I do?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, adriather, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Templar (1 stories) (24 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-03)
This is a very important time in which you can either instill trust and bonding with your child or break that trust and instill alienation and a possible psychotic break. Your child has experienced a mild psychotic break that you want to heal quickly. If you don't it may cause later mental illness. Whether your child has an overactive imagination or is actually being scared by something is irrelevant. He is scared. First do not close the door to his room ever again, it tells him he is left to the darkness. Secondly put in a night light so that he can see. Thirdly allow him to sleep with you anytime he wants, so that he can rebuild that trust and bonding and know that he has help when he needs it. This idea of child isolation came from the seventies pop psychology. It is a crime. Ask your grandparents how they slept at night. They will say "oh yeah all eight of us slept in the same bed." Leaving a child alone is not they way we were made.
Your right about the cleansing, you are making the right decisions. Remember that he might be saying Dada to what he thinks is Dada. But it is not. I would not encourage or mitigate what he is seeing as anything good, such as a deceased relative. I think you know it is not good.
IDrawOnMyself (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-08)
Try getting him a night light? Whatever is scaring him, happens in the dark. The darkness plays tricks on people. If you honestly do believe it is a spirit have the house blessed, and keep praying.

GOD BLESS! ❤
jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-07)
Adriather,

I read your story on 7/3/09 and it has taken me this long to respond and give my take on it because I really had to pray on this one and ask the Lord to word my mouth on it. This story truly breaks my heart because there is a small child involved. Please know that I mean you no disrespect at all, but if you had a scarey experience in that room as a child, why would you put your small child in that room and at night turn the light out on him and close the door? Children's minds are not cluttered with all of the stress of life, bills, relationships and everything else that we as adults are cursed with. Your son is seeing and feeling something in that room. Whatever he's seeing and feeling couldn't be good and positive because it wouldn't frighten him the way it does. As a mother, your mother bear instinct should kick in and when it comes to your child, you should do everything in your power to protect your child. Please take your child out of that room and why don't you and your husband sleep in that room for a while and turn the lights out and close the door like you've been doing with your child and see if you both can bear witness to what he has been experiencing in there. You know yourself something's not right because it showed you when you were a child. I'm telling you from experience, that if you don't get your child out of that room and do everything you can to protect him, you are going to scar him. The experiences I had in our childhood home scarred me. I am now 46 years old and still have dreams about that house. I can remember as a teen growing up there, I vowed that when I left that house, I was never going back. I can remember coming home from school and being the first one home and sitting out side on the porch for hours waiting until my other siblings came home because I was too frightened to go inside and while sitting on the porch listening to all of the constant walking, bumping and banging going on inside our house, watching something pull the window curtains back looking out at me and listening to it walk to the front door where I was sitting on the porch and jiggle the door handle to let me know how close it was to me. I will post some of my frightening stories soon so everyone can read them, but I am still praying on them because they still make me break down and cry because they were so horrible, terrifying and unbelievable. We were poor, so it wasn't like we could just jump up and move to another house. That only happens in the movies, when it happens in real life you have to consider real life obstacles and in our case it was money, we just didn't have it. I pray you'll get some help. God Bless You and your family!
adriather (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-07)
I totally agree that he could have seen something on tv that scared him. I am just trying to explore all possibilities. 😁
But I do have an update...
I did a load of laundry last night and after putting my son to bed (my husband was working last night) I put the clothes in the dryer before getting in to the shower. After my shower, I was getting dressed and ready for bed and my dryer shut off. No one else was there but me and my son, who was asleep, as I said. I got a little scared, as I had just started the dryer about 15 minutes before and it was obviously not done. So I decided NOT to go in there and went to bed.
This morning I went into the laundry room and my dryer was open. I asked my husband if he opened it when he got home the night before and he said no.
I honestly don't know what to think anymore. Nothing is hurting us, so I am not as scared as I was, but it's still pretty creepy to have these things happening.
I feel like such a scaredy cat!
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-06)
Maybe he saw something on T.V.I mean he could have gotten scared of something armless.
Like a pupet that scared him, or a bad guy on a show. You know something like that. So when you shut the lights off he might think he sees them.
I do love your story and I believe you 100%. But that's what I think his scaring him.
You guys could have seen a scary movie and sense he can get out of his crib easyly you could have forgotten to close the door and he got out because he wanted to know what you were doing a saw something that scared him badly.
Jst a thought
GIRLIE 😳 ❤ ❤
adriather (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-05)
So, since my last post things have gotten better. I hung a cross in his room and put a prayer candle in there also. We say a prayer every night for God to watch over us and let us live in peace here. I have been leaving his door open at night so that he can see some light and know that we are here. I honestly think his fear is a combination of being afraid of the dark and possibly a spirit in that room. However, whatever it is is not trying to harm him. I have heard of deceased relatives coming to visit grandchildren and although we have not had anyone in our family pass recently, my grandmother passed only a month after he was born. So, I am really hoping that whatever spirit it may be, it is therejust to visit or watch over him. I have done a little research and a drug dealer used to live in this house before my parents, but no record of anything violent happening here. So, I will continue to pray and keep the cross and everything in his room. I also sprinkled salt around my whole house! LOL I guess I feel a little silly, but it's also making me feel better. Also, after we pray every night I talk directly to the spirit that might be there and tell it that although I know it it just visiting, it is scaring Troy (my son) and it needs to go away now please so he can go to sleep. Something I'm doing has to work. My next step is Holy Water and a house cleansing. Thanks for all the advice and opinions! I really appreciate the support! Until next time...
AuroraRosa (2 stories) (55 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-05)
maybe you should ask him to draw a picture of the scary thing. It might be very revealing. Like, if he draws a fox or one of the other forms that your sighting took then you know it's the same thing, but if he draws some sort of monster type thing then you probably need to have a cleansing done. I think it's entirely possible that the concept of a fox in his room would probably scare the living daylights out of any child.
He might also just be afraid of the dark, it is possible. If that's the case maybe you could let one of your pets sleep in his room. When I was younger I used to be terrified of the dark so I would always want the family dog to sleep in my room. I would always tell myself that he would protect me against anything bad.
Maybe you should try putting a video camera in the room at night or going in there and taking a picture to check for orbs. Just anything you can think of to find out what is going on.
Good luck with this and I hope you find a solution. 😉
Oli (2 stories) (74 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-05)
I agree with LaughLove. I think he may be seeing whatever you saw as a child, plus you said he's in the same room. Have you tried talking to him and asking him what he saw?
Kyyrme (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-04)
Is his teeths growing in? OR someting like that. Don't jump to conclusions. It might be nothing... Ofcourse it might be something but look into it really closly. Check the walls etc. Maybe he sees some scary insects.
jenniferford (2 stories) (56 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-04)
You said he was saying dada dada. That shows this spirit to be a man. You also said when you where a child you seen a ghost, but it changed into many differnt things. I feel that this is a spirit that is attached. You make be freaked out over the thought of a ghost haunting you. I would not feel harmed. Keep praying. Now if you are really freaked out then rebuke it. That will help, but to comfort your son, buy a small night light and put in his room. I'm 27 years old and still afraid of the dark. I tell people that I'm not afraid of what I can see, its what I can't see that freaks me out the most. Good luck with all this and GOD Bless you and you family.
LaughLove22 (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-03)
Okaay, here's what I think this is.

It can't be him being afraid of the drak because you would put him to bed, no problem, every night up until this point.

He can't be having nightmares otherwise he wouldn't immediatly come running out as soon as you shut the door for him to go to sleep.

What I think it is, is that whatever you saw when you were a child, he is now seeing since he is a child. Whatever it was, only interacts with children. A childrens spirit. Something that may be afraid to let older adults see or hear it. So, since you were very little when you saw/heard this "spirit" I think the same thing is happening with your baby boy. If it has not harmed him in anyway, then maybe it isn't there to harm him and he is just scared of it.

Thanks for sharing though! Very interesting. ❤
courtneyOMGG (12 stories) (179 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-03)
Your poor little boy!
I have heard that young children are able to see things we can't so maybe that's what it is.
Him not being able to see anything though, as it is dark, may be adding to his fear.
You should leave a lamp on dim so the room or a corner is lit up a tiny bit, of even a night light.
Good luck!
C ❤
adriather (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-03)
Thanks for the link! I checked it out and am going to try some of the techniques. Since I wrote this story I have been leaving my sons door open a little when I put him to sleep instead of closing it all the way. He has done better being able to see some light, but I still get a little creeped out. Will keep you posted!
babiestastegood (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-03)
Maybe your son is scared of the dark or is having some nightmares or something like that... But the fact that he keeps looking back towards his room makes me think that he might be able to see something that you cant, but I'm not an expert on either young children or the paranormal.
galleygal (3 stories) (150 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-03)
Kids often get the heebie-jeebies at bed time; I think it's a mistake to automatically jump to the conclusion that a ghost or spirit is implicated...it'll just scare you and your child, who will be sure to pick up on your thoughts... Check out this little article http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/health/info/growth/diagnose/bedtime-fears.htm

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: