You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Just Passing Through

Real Ghost Stories

Just Passing Through

 

Prior to moving into my home in 2003, I had lived in an apartment in the Phoenix neighborhood of Ahwatukee. I lived there alone with my three ferrets. There was no other strange activity that had happened before or after the incident I am about to relay, but I will say that the area had been inhabited by Native Americans years and years ago. The apartment building was within walking distance to a state park where petroglyphs are still visible on the rocks. For those that don't know, petroglyphs are designs and patterns that the Native Americans carved into the rocks many years ago. They are quite amazing.

One evening I woke in the middle of the night and heard paper rustling near my computer desk. Having ferrets and all I just assumed it was one of them getting into things. Ferrets, like cats, love the sound of rustling paper and plastic bags. Sometimes I would let my ferret CJ, sleep on the bed. I called out, "CJ," expecting him to come to the bed when he heard my voice. Then I remembered that I had made sure all three were in their cage before turning in for the night. For some reason I did not feel completely scared out of my mind. It's amazing how brave you become when you live on your own with the nearest relative being 3,000 miles away. I listened some more to the rustling wondering what the heck it could be. There was no breeze. The ceiling fan was not on -- Nor was the air conditioning. Knowing I had to be up early for work the next day I decided to ignore it. It seem to stop.

Right when I was just about to fall asleep, I started to hear what sounded like someone plucking the mattress springs like a guitar. I could feel the vibration of it through the bed. Instead of getting scared, I actually felt annoyed. I wanted whatever it was to just go away so I could sleep. I felt like it just wanted my attention. When I refused to give in, it went away. I never experienced anything like that again in the apartment but I wondered if it was just a wandering soul that was trying to get a rise out of me.

Once it realized it wasn't going to have the desired affect on me, it left. It was a very strange occurrence which luckily did not repeat itself throughout the duration of my lease. Still, I found it odd. Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Jennifer40

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jennifer40, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

littlelaura33 (28 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-08)
What a queer story Jennifer. I think next time you should try to communicate with this ghost or at least don't ignore it. Some people think people like you are crazy but not me. I am a strong believer in all things paranormal however unbelieving it may sound. 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-07)
I think you have a pretty good understanding of what occurred in your home. I personally think it was passing through and as it did not get you to rise to the bait, it decided to just keep on going.
Thank you.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-05)
Maybe there is truth to spirits feeding off fear and being that this one didn't get fear or attention it just went on it's merry or sad way. I hate to think of spirits trapped here if they don't want to be. I hope the ones that are around want to be here and are not just confused and dazed.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-03)
A very well written, and great story. Thanks for sharing it with us. I would assume with you not paying any attention to it, then it just gave up and let you rest. Once again great story.
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-02)
Hi All,
Thanks so much for your comments! 😁 I really feel like I've gotten to know you all through your posts and stories. I've been on this site for a little over a month now and you have made me feel very welcome.

Thank you,
Jennifer ❤
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-02)
Welcome back Jennifer,
It sounds to me as if there may have been a mischevious being, as you said, tryong to get your attention. Your ignoring the antics worked in this instance, it did not continue and it did not return.

Thanks for sharing your story with us!
God Bless!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-02)
Hi Jennifer. I have to agree with my two friends here. I don think there was anything haunted it just wanted your attention. Maybe it was a child ghost. Thank you for sharring another intersting story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-02)
Hi Jennifer, nice to have you back 😊

I also think it was indeed a drifting spirit trying to get your attention. It's trully amazing how brave we can sometimes be when we have nobody else to defend us. I also lived alone for a few years in an apartment that "made noises". I ignored them, rationalised them and all was ok until my little brother came to live with me and he completely freaked out (he was an unbeliever before that 😆). Then silly as it sounds, I gave in the fear, at least for a while, before getting a grip of myself again.

Well who's to say what could have happened had you acknowledged it?
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-01)
Hello Jennifer. It sounds like it was either passing through or else it assumed you couldn't hear it and gave up. If a person acknowledged every inexplicable sound you heard they would drive you crazy, especially if you're sensitive. Thanks fo sharing your story, I enjoyed it.

FRAWIN 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: