You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Noises Only I Hear

Real Ghost Stories

The Noises Only I Hear

 

I would be lying in my bed at night, afraid of the dark like most kids my age (I would have been around 7 at the time) and worried that the 'noises' would come. Let me explain... While my parents were in the room across the hall from mine--most likely watching a movie--I would be sitting in terror, as noises would sound themselves in my room.

It starting on just an ordinary night, I was already afraid of the dark and facing the wall since my bed was situated up against it just attempting to sleep. That's when I heard a sort of buzzing sound, like that of a bug, but at the same time it sounded like a croaking (think of the noise in the Grudge). My first thought was, 'Oh, it's just something electrical', but I had never heard anything like this sound. My assumption of it being something electrical was shot down when around the third or fourth time it happened I ran into my parents' room. I would dive onto the bed, wrap my arms tightly around my mother, and tell her that there were weird sounds in my room. She of course would sigh, tell my father she'd be right back, and then take me to my room to show me that there was nothing there.

By the time we got in my room the noises had stopped, it would be dead silent. She would smile at me and say, "See? I told you nothing was here, go back to bed." I had made her wait for a couple minutes, and felt that it was safe. Only when she had got up off my bed and closed the door did I hear it again. That night I sucked it up and went to bed eventually, but night after night it would happen again. I would get my mom, make her wait various times each night and as soon as she left they would start up again.

About a year later it stopped and only appeared on rare occasions, those rare occasions I only heard the noise for a couple of minutes before it left.

All I want to know is if someone's had an experience like this. Feel free to suggest what it might have been, but I don't know of anything man-made that would just 'start up' once a parent has left the room.

Thanks for reading,

-Hope

Other hauntings by Hopeful23

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Hopeful23, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

scared-all-my-life (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-16)
I had the same problem hope, only I didn't hear the buzzing noise. I was in bed one night, the same age as you, and I heard screaming every minute, so I got mum and dad then as soon as they walked in the door, the screaming stopped, I made them wait a few minutes but nothing happend. Then as soon as they walked out it started again, it happened for two years every night and when it stopped it occasionally started again. 😨 scary huh.
QueenTas (4 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-06)
I don't know much about electrical wiring or anything, but it sound to me like you only heard the sounds while your door was closed. Maybe something to do with wiring or something, or because you were quite young it may have just been in your head, I'm not by any means saying your crazy, or making it up. But I remember being around that age, and I was terrified to sleep in my own room. The few times I do remember sleeping in my room, I had my door open, so I had a nice clean shot to my parents room:P
RhianSarah (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-22)
hey:)! Your story sounds terrifying- I would be sleeping in my parents room every night!

I had an idea about what it could be though, when you mentioned vents.
In australia, where I live, we have koalas and these possums that are notorious for getting into peoples roofs and vents. Pretty much everyone has one at one point or another.
Anyway, a little known fact is that koalas and possums make a really deep guteral growl- they sound like a bear, or a demon- its a really deep and freaky noise.
So people new to australia who don't know about that noise are always reporting paranormal activity when its really just a possum in the roof. (which is fair enouygh, they growl at you from the roof sounding ungodly)

So anyway, do you have any animals like that in america?
It could have been that you being young, and small, it felt as though it could take you on and try to be dominant over you, and so, it growled, but your mother, who was bigger was a threat and scared it into silence?

Just an idea:).

P.s., I hope this didn't come across as tough I don't believe you- I do, its just that this exact thing happens all the time in australia.:)
shadow_witch (65 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-14)
Hi Hope,

I too, used to hear noises in my room as a child. Only it wasn't buzzing. It was knocking. In the closet, on the walls and floor. And sometimes it would play with my toys, or laugh like a demon. The noises were quite loud, and even though my parents were in the very next room, they could never hear it. I've been wondering about it since I was 7. I'm 40 now, and still to this day. I have no clue. 😕
Hopeful23 (12 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-07)
Eveelinaa, so you had the same problem? I was under the impression that no one had really experienced such a thing. Thanks for your reply, its a shame that parents never believe you. I hope to be getting some more stories up soon, check them out if you want.

-Hope
eveelinaa (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-05)
You're story creeps me out. I can imagine how creepy and uncomfortable that must have been for you especially at such a young age. When you said that once your parents left the room the noise started up again, I know exactly what you mean. I would always ask my mom to stay for at least an hour and wait to hear the strange noises in my room, but she couldn't hear them. Once she'd leave they would start so violently again. She never believed me. Sucks, but its really scary. I'm sorry you went through that. At least, it has stopped. 😊
Hopeful23 (12 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-05)
EezyBates89, your repsonse made me laugh, please don't take it the wrong way. Good idea, but I was 7. I doubt anyone would be that heartless. For them to put something like that in my bedroom vent they would have had to have stepped onto my dresser to do so, and the only person I could think of would be my older sister who at the time wouldn't have been able to reach. I'm not even quite sure there is such a device that would be able to go off and on automatically when my mom left and entered the room since no one could have seen what was going on besides me or her and whatever was causing is. 😜

-Hope
EezyBates89 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-05)
maybe someone had placed something in our room to make noises and had a remote and was waiting nearby trying to play some sort of practical joke lol anyone in your life you can think would do that. If not that's pretty creepy though.
😨
Hopeful23 (12 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-04)
Thanks for the advice iKaaren.

Back when I was 7 (or whenever it happened, whoops bad memory!) I would just wait until it was over. If it ever does come back however, I will be yelling at it. Basically it annoys me that no one else hears it and I think this 'ghost' (I honestly have no idea what to call it) seems to get a kick out of it. Yelling at it will have to give it a little wake-up-call that what its doing is not funny.

Thanks everyone for the comments!

-Hope
iKaaren (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-04)
Whoa, I've had the same problem a few months ago. If you go to my profile and read my story, "Is It Real Or Just My Imagination?" and scroll down to number 4, you'll read what has happened to me.

Anyway, what I usually do is "tell it off." As in, I would usually yell out, "Can you PLEASE be quiet?! I'm trying to sleep!" And after that, it would stop for the rest of the night. It hasn't happened to me for months and I'm thankful for that, but whenever it DOES happen, I just do the same routine. I get so frustrated when I can't sleep, so I'm not afraid to do some things that might upset a ghost.:)

I suggest you do the same thing, unless you're afraid that you might upset whatever it is that is in the room. In that case, try not to show so much fear. I'm sure you're sick and tired of it happening, so just show some annoyance and frustration. It'll usually take the hint and leave.
Jitow (362 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-03)
4D, do you think that there is something paranormal about an archway in someone's home. I remember now when reading your story where you mentioned the archway that I had read 4 or 5 stories on different websites just over the past couple of weeks that mentioned a figure being seen in an interior archway. May just be a coincidence but it makes you wonder.
Blackrose13 (3 stories) (24 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-03)
That is spooky! I have no idea what to say. It's creepy. I'm glad it stopped though

Love you! ❤
Hopeful23 (12 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-03)
Thank you for your reply 4d,

These noises couldn't be pinpointed as it filled the room with the sound. Though as they died I was able to look around the room and conclude that it was coming from the wall facing the hallway. My room is basically a large square and my bed was in the corner opposite of the door. The door to the hallway is to the very right. For some reason my eyes were drawn to the vent on that very wall. It's positioned high up on the wall. Hopefully this description made sense 😆, to me most are hard to depict.

-Hope
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-03)
Hopeful23,
Interesting story. I once heard a growling sound that followed a series of quick bug like shadows annoying me one night. My father and myself were sitting in my living room talking when we both heard a growling, vibrating noise from the archway of the door to the kitchen. Do you know where your buzzing sounds were located? Was it free roaming or from furniture or a wall? Thanks for sharing your story, Aloha - 4d

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: