You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Knocking On The Front Door

Real Ghost Stories

Knocking On The Front Door

 

I am 29 years old and my husband, father and I live in the family home that I, as well as my mother, grew up in. Our house was built by my grandfather on the same property that HE grew up on. The old farmhouse that he grew up in, however, is no longer here. It burned down when my mother was a little girl. Several members of my family have died in this home, or outside on this property, including my mother who passed away here in 2006. Most recently my grandfather, the one who built this house, passed away here from cancer. So the property has some history. Some of it unknown since we will sometimes find arrowheads or pieces of dishes in the ground, even a stone wall buried in the front yard and no one knows what it went to.

Last night I heard someone knocking on the front door. It was very distinct and woke me from sleeping at about 4:30am. I went downstairs, turned on the light and looked outside but there was nobody there. I was a little bit freaked out so I walked around the house and made sure all the windows and doors were locked, then I went back to bed and started to doze off. A few minutes later I heard a thud and scuffling sound. I got up again, grabbed a baseball bat and patrolled around the house but still there was nobody there.

Everyone thinks I was dreaming, but I know that I had woken up to knocking at the front door. Does anyone else see, hear or experience strange things when they are in the state between sleeping and being awake. My brother and I both have strange experiences and see or hear weird things when we feel like we are between sleeping and awake, and will often wake up multiple times during the night. He's a pretty macho guy and I don't think he would lie about it. Does anyone else out there know what I'm talking about with the whole between sleeping and waking thing? Is it only our imaginations getting us all freaked out like everyone says?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Laura1108, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

miso_curious (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-21)
Every time I have ever seen a ghost (there have been a few occasions) it was right when I woke up. I've been told that the brain releases a very powerful hallucinogen when you're sleeping that has to do with dreaming, and that's why I've seen things, but I don't believe it.

I think the reason that this happens is that you have your "guard down" when you first wake up; therefore you are more likely to experience something on a different plane.

Hope that helps. 😁
vicuttie8 (7 stories) (92 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-16)
I have experienced that. Many times in my florida home & my NY home. It always happens at the same time. 1:58AM. I know the diffrence between awake and asleep. Its creepy stuff, but it doesn't sound like anything wants to hurt you. So just lock the doors and be prepared. You never know what might arise.
dugo (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-16)
I had a similar experience last year at 2 different residences (and if you went through the same thing I did, you know you were awake). Asking around/research came up with: something's trying to get your attention; it's probably nothing to worry about; and there's likely something linked to your emotional/physical state that makes it happen. BTW, I've had stuff like this happen to me for most of my life--it stops after I tell other people what's going on. Can't explain it...that's just the way it seems to go.
KursedForever (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-16)
ok, I have had the exact same expierences but have you heard it when your fully awake? My parent works in a sleep lab and it is a normal part of sleep you are actualy dreaming when that happens so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I hope this helps 😊
youngdz79 (6 stories) (58 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-15)
Yes I have had experience's like yours with the knocking on the door's of my house at all hours of the day.
I also find in cool that you guys have found all the dishes and arrow heads and a wall in your yard, since you are from Ohio your house could be possible built on a temporary "frontier" fort from the early 1800's late 1700's.
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-15)
Never have I experienced this but indeed it does seem you have a ghost. During the times that you have specified is apparently the time when ghosts can communicate well with us. 😐

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: