You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: First And Perhaps Only Seance

Real Ghost Stories

First And Perhaps Only Seance

 

My name is Shaun Logue and I am nineteen years old. At the time of the following event, I was eighteen. The house of the event is in West Hills, CA. The date is early 2009 at 3:00am.

I have always felt that there was more to the world than we saw. For many years, my mother's house has had spirits within it. While their activities ranged from harmless footsteps to the knocking over of a stereo system, we have come to live peacefully with whoever remains in the house.

One of my closest friends, Elijah, called me one day and told me he was interested in conducting a séance. Knowing that I've had experience with spirits, he asked me to join. I was uncertain, but ultimately, agreed. Initially, he wanted to use a board, at which point I told him I wanted nothing to do with it. I had heard too many terrible stories of the board contacting the wrong kinds of spirits, so the idea of using one myself turned me off the idea in an instant.

Thankfully, the board went missing, so we conducted a séance. None of us had conducted one before, but we were given guidelines by medium who was a family friend of Eli's. At least this way, we wouldn't do anything dangerous. Mirrors were covered, windows were opened, and candles were lit. As the only one fully comfortable with the idea, I was medium.

The circle consisted of myself, Elijah, his girlfriend Jocelyn, my step-brother Greg, and our close friend Matt. Outside of our circle, observing the events, were friends Graham and Dak. I requested that we not open the circle to anyone. I wanted at least some form of a plan for choosing our spirit. Elijah wanted to contact his grandfather. There was little effect here. Our second attempt is the focus of this little story.

For a while, Elijah had experienced paranormal events in his home, the most obvious of which being footsteps on the roof that followed his movements. It was with this description that we were able to bring the man into our circle. We asked the spirit to communicate to us with knocks on the wall, giving one knock for "yes" and two for "no." I asked if he understood the concept and if he would speak to us. One knock agreed. These knocks, to verify, were much clearer than I thought. The amount of time between the question and knock were so insignificant that it was apparent it was a direct response. Graham and Dak can attest to the fact that they also heard the knocks from outside of the circle. We next asked if he was related in any way to Elijah. Two knocks. The obvious question followed. I asked if he used to live in the house. One. Okay, we were getting somewhere. However, I began to hear something strange. I looked to Eli, who was now breathing heavily. I asked him if he was okay and he could only tell me two things- one, that the air behind him was quite cold, two, that there was a weight on his back. I asked him if he wanted to continue...

I'm sure you know his answer.

My questions now focused on the spirit's reason for being in the house. I cannot remember the exact wording of my questions, but the information I soon had told me that the spirit was male, used to live in the house, and was ill. Cause of death was clear to me now. Eli then remembered something that he had heard from his mother at some point in their time in the house. The former owner was a woman named Barbara. She lived there with her son and husband. The son, Eli remembered, was very ill with pneumonia. After his death, Barbara and her husband moved away, presumably to escape the pain.

I asked then the question that would give me the first shocking answer. In text, I imagine it comes off as just words, but being there as a first timer... It was something else.

"Do you intend on leaving?"

Knock, knock.

Oh joy. Eli began muttering "Oh God" to himself. Jocelyn, who was holding one of his hands in the circle, asked him if he was okay. He said that the cold was becoming more biting and that the weight was becoming heavier. It was then that he almost lost consciousness. Were it not for Jocelyn and Greg holding hands with him, he claims that he would have fallen backwards into a bookcase, breaking the circle. Again, I highly advised that we end the séance, but he asked me to continue and attempt to put the spirit to rest. I didn't know if I could- or if I should- but I wasn't going to end everything now.

Eli suggested that I tell the spirit about Barbara moving to Palm Springs, an attempt to get the spirit to perhaps leave. I gave it a shot. The answer I got to the following question shook me terribly. It stands now as the strongest paranormal experience I've ever felt. I asked the question that would send chills up our spines.

"Would you like to hear about your mother Barbara?"

KNOCK!

As if someone had taken their knuckles and loudly rapped them on the window. We all opened our eyes in a shock, looking to the window. No one was there... Graham and Dak, our observers, were still on the bed, looking on with wide eyes. Then I felt it... The cold- the pressure- it came to me. Jocelyn, who was seated between Eli and I, mentioned that she felt it for only a moment... The spirit had left Eli and passed by Jocelyn... To get to me. I was afraid... I was truly afraid. But still, I persisted. I told the spirit about Barbara's whereabouts. I asked if he wanted to find her.

Knock knock.

He was content. The spirit was content with merely knowing where his mother and father had gone to. We were all at this point too tired to continue and for the moment, all seemed okay with the spirit. We closed the séance and all took a deep breath, regaining our senses.

Since then, I have not conducted another séance, mostly out of fear of doing something wrong. I have not read anything professional and I find it unwise to meddle in things I do not understand. Eli attests to the fact that he still hears the footsteps, but they no longer follow him. I've pondered that detail, but it's something I choose not to look into anymore.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Please feel free to comment. I will answer when I have the time. Also, if you have any personal advice on conducting séances, I am interested. I want to do it again, but only once I learn more.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jester3609, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

insomnace (1 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-27)
The most scariest thing to me is that I live in a town right next to West Hills, I live in Canoga Park by the way. Also the ghost doesn't sound evil.
xParanormancyx (16 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-02)
I don't think this is a dangerous entity. This is just another case where a ghost (maybe a child one) was concerned about his parents but was scared to leave the only place he felt safe at. Keep watch on your buddy Elijah though, that spirit seemed pretty demanding. 😁
~Victoria
77believer (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-15)
Oh I remember this story. I don't ever want to use a Ouija board, no matter how tempting it can be. Although of course you know that now. 😳
musicgrrl104 (28 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-14)
I find it odd that only Eli felt the cold and pressure. The ghost may have wanted something from him.
MrsO (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-08)
You said you read: "protection from harm" from The Holy Bible., I'd like to know exaclty what you read.
Jester3609 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-02)
Correct. He stayed around Eli at first since he lived there, then came to me when he knew I had information on his family.
Thealoneone (1 stories) (77 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-31)
The feeling of cold and weight, it seemed the the ghost was interested in the person with that on him/her.
Jester3609 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-30)
I am usually a bit paranoid when it comes to things I like this, so protection was an obvious concern of mine. I forgot to mention in the story that before we began the seance, since I was given no real guideline on protection, I read a prayer of "protection from harm" from The Holy Bible. Made me feel better at least XD
Asauey (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-30)
That's definitely an interesting encounter. Good thing that spirit wasn't an aggressive one; there seem to be a lot of seances gone wrong these days.
Great job finding someone experienced in the area before doing this, and good job keeping your cool when the spirit went to Eli and yourself.
Sounds like this spirit still considers Eli's house his home which is why he hasn't left. As long as the spirit isn't aggressive, which it doesn't sound like he is, there's not much to worry about. He just adds personality to the house =)
I've personally never done a seance before, but if you do it again, I would suggest just being careful and making sure you are protected just in case you do accidentally meet a not-so-friendly spirit.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-29)
Never could quite understand how a spirit would be content to hang around a certain house or land and not get the urge to move forward. I am assuming because there is no linear time on the other side, five minutes can be the same as 500 years. However, it seems sad to me that spirits get caught inbetween worlds and seem clueless or afraid to move on. Apparently when we cross over we take our human fears and concerns with us until we figure out what's happening or are told what's happening and finally believe it. Some fear being judged by an angry God, some have unfinished business or concerns with eartly beings and some don't care if they are dead they just don't want to leave this dimension. I think our goal would be to send them to the Light if at all possible. How awful to be stuck here out of ignorance or fear.
Jester3609 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-29)
I was a little confused by the idea that he didn't want to leave. After the obvious interest he showed in his mother, I expected him to leave the house. I guess he just wanted peace of mind on the issue.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-29)
Very interesting story. I too am very leary of any board usage and commend you on at least wondering if you were doing the right thing or not (too many people seem to just jump right in on these things).
Let us know if this spirit ever decides to leave. Sad that he still wants to be around.
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-26)
Thank goodness you did not use a board and got some help from a experienced in these things. Hay if you here from the boy again tell him we say hi. ❤
Jester3609 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-25)
I talked to Eli about a week after it happened, and he said that he still hears footsteps on the roof, the calling card of our apparition. So, as he said, he remained in the house, but has not done anything outside of his ordinary routines. Eli has never really felt threatened and I hope he's being truthful when he says that he still doesn't feel that way.

Thank you both for the comments.
TigerLily (3 stories) (145 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-25)
Does Elijah still feel him around? Does he still make himself known?
Interesting story. I don't have any information about Seances, although you could try searching them on Wikipedia.
Let us know of any more Seances you are involved in.

God Bless.
wertona9 (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-25)
Doesn't seem evil at all, just concerned about his family in life. 😉 Just make sure Eli doesn't feel threatened by him.

Sakamoto ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: