You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: Large Ball Of Light

Real Ghost Stories

Large Ball Of Light

 

I'm writing this in hopes that someone out there can shed some light on what it is my girlfriend and I might have seen last night. Let me preface this by saying that growing up I've had several experiences with the supernatural in my house that was about a hundred years old. Things such as toys being knocked off of shelves in the closet, seeing a shadow move across a room and disappear behind a chair, a doorknob moving on its own... There are many more stories, but that's for other entries. The point being that it seems I am sensitive to these sorts of happenings.

I'm grown now, 35 years old, and live in a completely different house in NJ. Having been built in the 1950's, the house isn't that old, but I know there was an older couple that lived in the house for at least several decades until they both died. A young couple bought the house after that, and lived in it for three years before selling it to me five years ago. In that time the only "haunting" I've experienced is my deceased cat, Nikki, who occasionally visits and can be heard scratching on her post.

Last night I experienced something I never had before. My girlfriend and I were sitting in the finished basement watching a movie. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed something bright white about halfway down the stairs to my right, and turned to look at it. It was dark in the room, other then the glow of the television and the Christmas lights we leave up year round along the ceiling. The object I saw was very bright white, and almost glowing. For a split second I thought it was my cat, Zim, who is mostly grey but has a small bit of white on his chest, but the more I focused on it, the more I realized that the white spot was much too large to be my cat. The light was probably about 8 - 10" in diameter and almost round, although the edges were fuzzy. I saw my girlfriend was also looking at it, so I knew I wasn't imagining it. I stared at for maybe 5 seconds, and then it floated up toward the top of the stairs rather quickly, hovering about 5 inches off the steps, and then disappeared.

I turned to my girlfriend, who also had her mouth hanging open, and said, "Did you see that, too?" She said, "Yeah, I thought I was going crazy when I saw something out of the corner of my eye a half hour ago, and then it happened again!"

What do you guys think it could be?

The old couple checking on us or a guardian angel?

I have had experiences with spirits that have really frightened me... This didn't feel the same. It was just kind of disconcerting and strange.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, snakecharm, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-18)
Hey New Jersey Dude! Did you happen to get permission to advertise on this site? It is protocol you know. Sort of like the old saying "we don't swim in your toilet so don't piss in our pool"
elner (38 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-06)
i don't know erm maybe it was in the movie I guess LIKE A FLASH like when you are getting pictured you see the flash and a square white thing shows up and just leaves there for some momment
KatieChan (3 stories) (63 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-05)
What you guys saw was an orb. I think orbs are the energy the ghost (s) gived off. Watch this video! It won't scare you! The best part about it is that the video is real! (P.S. Its not my video.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXAkJutnTjo
Sergeant (3 stories) (98 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-04)
I've seen something very similar.

It was a ball of flashing light, about 10 inches across. It wasn't round but had jagged, ununiform edges. Looking at it saw nothing at all, until it flashed. Mine didn't move very much but very, very slowly.

We all seen cloud to cloud lightning before. You don't see the lightning bold, just the cloud flash.

That is what my experience was like, and it had a white cloud-like texture to it. There were two of them in the same room, among other spirit activity. They would flash randomly maybe 5-10 seconds apart.

I thought it was imagination until my wife mentioned seeing the same thing on another occasion.

I have no idea what it may have been. Some kind of energy discharge? I guess we won't know for sure.

Anyway thanks for the account snakecharm.
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-04)
Mn hard to say If it was solid I would have to say a guardian angel. Just my gut feeling.
Thealoneone (1 stories) (77 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-03)
Hmmm, a solid ball of light, perhaps a guardian angel, whatever it is, its nature eludes me. Obviously it doesn't mean harm, it could be just a spirit going past.
snakecharm (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-03)
It wasn't the same as the tiny little balls of light that are usually called orbs... This was a solid-looking object. I could not see the wall behind it at all. It was also extremely bright.
-_Syeetaque_- (5 stories) (109 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-03)
um... Hello...
I think what you saw is an orb...
Someone you knew was paying you a visit... That's a guess though...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: