You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Dark Figure In The Doorway

Real Ghost Stories

The Dark Figure In The Doorway

 

This story is set in my family home in a little town called Wishaw in Scotland. My parents bought the house nearly thirty years ago, and my brother and I spent most of our childhood years there. The house is not that old it was built in the 70s, but the land it was built on used to be part of an old farm, there was talk of farm buildings, a barn on the site. Now a few years ago both my brother and I went to collage in the nearby city of Glasgow some 30 minutes bus ride away. I usually got in 10 to 15 minutes before my brother, and on this day it was no different...mmmm.

My mum and dad were still at work so when I got in I was alone, and as usual I went into the living room, kicked off my Shoes and started to read my magazine I'd bought earlier in the day. About ten minutes later the front door opened, and out of the corner of my eye, I could see my brother, at least I thought it was my brother, enter the hall and stand at the doorway leading in to the living room (sitting room). Without turning my head up from reading my magazine I said hi, but there was no response, nothing unusual in that, it was my moody brother after all. A few seconds later the dark figure walked slowly to the stairs and I could hear footsteps going all the way to the top, across the landing into my brothers room. I heard the door close behind him. Now it gets freaky, about 10 minutes later, as I'm still reading, the front door opens and my brother walks in to the hall and enters the living room, puzzled I looked up and asked him where had he been. Was he round the corner shop without asking if I wanted anything, and how on earth did he go out without me seeing him?

My brother just looked at me in a strange way, and explained he'd just come in from collage and wondered what I was talking about. I explained what I had seen and heard and we searched the house to make sure it wasn't some criminal or other, bold as brass walking in to someone's house to steal, but we found nothing upstairs.

As you can imagine it freaked me out. What would I have seen if I'd looked up from my magazine, if only I had, would it have been a ghost?

This is just one of many strange goings on in that house over the years.

Jack

Other hauntings by Jackashton

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jackashton, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jackashton (2 stories) (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-30)
I think you might be right It was probably making its presence known.I don't think it was trying to scare me though,I don't feel any evil presence in the house.Regards Jack 😊
soul (1 stories) (54 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-29)
Then it was a spirit.I think it was trying to scare you or it was trying to tell you about its presence.I guess it was not evil as it did no harm to you.

LOVE TO YOU. ❤ ❤ ❤
Jackashton (2 stories) (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-21)
For many years now My family has been aware of unusual unexplained occurances like doors being left open,lights coming on by themselves,even electrical equipment turning on by itself when you walk past it.My late mother even said ball lightning come through the front door and shooting up the stairs into the attic space making a terrible noise the whole household heard.Jack 😐
soul (1 stories) (54 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-19)
I guess it was a spirit.

Write about your other experiences, then it will become more clear.- soul
Jackashton (2 stories) (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-18)
I did not take a good look. It was out of the corner of my eye, so It was, as I remember it just a figure, human in shape and dark in colour. Standing face on in the doorway to the sittingroom. It did not stay long, and it was in the evening, so it wasn't very light. I did assume it was my brother, that's why I said hi to it. Thanks for reading my story Jack 😊
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-18)
I was wondering what you meant by "the dark figure" standing in the doorway. You said it looked LIKE your brother so you assumed it was him. But why dark? What time of day was it? Could you see the features of the figure clearly or did it resemble your brother?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: