You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: New Apartment In Sherman Oaks

Real Ghost Stories

New Apartment In Sherman Oaks


I moved to Los Angeles in 2000. I had a boyfriend here who lived in a small 1 bedroom apt in Studio City that was way over priced and we decided to look for a cheaper, bigger place for the both of us. We went to a cute place over in Sherman Oaks, a 1 bed 1 bath, built in the 20's with cute built in cabinets in the dining room and just tons a character. Immediately upon walking in, my Boyfriend Eric said he just didn't like the place at all and wouldn't even bother to look at the rest of the place. Despite the unit being only $600/mo and in a nice area, he was adamant he would not live there.

Fast forward 6 months, Eric and I were doomed from the start. He was a total loser and had a severe drinking problem. We had moved far far away to Woodland Hills and the drive into town was draining as was our relationship. I managed to talk my way out of the lease due to his drinking problem and began my search for my very own place. I had a very small budget and asked around the workplace is anyone knew of anything. I was temping at a Real Estate Investment company and my supervisor June, said she owned a building in Sherman Oaks with a 1+1 for rent for $625/mo. She gave me the address and I was shocked when I drove up and realized it was the exact same unit Eric and I had viewed 6 months earlier. The lease was 1year long, but at the time I didn't put two and two together to realize that it meant either the unit had sat empty for 6 months or someone broke the lease. I loved the place and moved in.

All was fine for the 1st year. I was barely ever home, going down to San Diego every other weekend to dance as a go-go dancer at club Ultra and On Broadway, and the other weekends my daughter Sierra, would come down from Fresno to have her weekends with me. At the time she was living temporarily with her dad so I could get settled and it was summer, and he had her for summer vacation. Anyway, probably about a year after moving in, strange things started happening. Around this time I was staying home more, and not driving to SD every other weekend.

The first incident was a blatant, in your face event. I was on the phone with a guy I was dating, it was the middle of the day and I had these two framed pictures on the dining room wall over the dining table. They were about 6 inches apart and were hung with 2 nails on either side of the picture frame and had those alligator type hooks on the back that secure the nail head so they don't slip off. All of the sudden both pictures literally flew off the wall. I immediately thought we had just had an earthquake and asked my boyfriend if he had felt anything. He said no, and I noticed nothing else was shaking or swaying. I went over to the pictures expecting to find the nails had come out of the wall or the hooks on the back had come undone-but neither was the case. All 4 nails were firmly in the wall and all 4 hooks were attached to the picture frames. I put the pictures back on the wall and stood there for a while trying to make one picture fall off the wall, I couldn't get one, let alone both at the same exact time come off. I was perplexed but brushed it aside as a weird coincidence.

About a week later, I came home at night to a dark house and walked over to the floor lamp and as I reached for the knob, the light came on. I again brushed it off as a wiring issue or the weight of my foot moved the floorboards and the bulb was maybe loose and it jarred it on. Little things kept happening; my remote control for my bedroom TV went missing and never resurfaced even when we moved out. My hairbrush also disappeared never to return, just little stupid things anyone could brush off.

But then it all changed. My daughter was little, about 5 years old, it was Christmas time and I had a new job as a research scientist for UCLA Center for Sleep Research. I worked long hours and didn't have time to go shopping for her gifts so I decided to shop online from KBToys. I got her this Cinderella Castle that lit up and had music and dancing mini figurines of Cinderella and Prince Charming. The package came a week later and I put the box at the foot of my bed and went to sleep. Around 3am I was woken up by loud music and flashing lights coming from the foot of my bed. The castle was playing over and over and I couldn't get it to turn off. I took it out to the kitchen, shut the kitchen door, shut the hallway door and my bedroom door and put the pillow over my head and tried to ignore the loud noise and get to sleep. The next day I checked it and it was off, so I again figured that perhaps something happened during shipping and it was another wiring issue had made the castle come to life. I wrapped it up and on Christmas morning Sierra opened it and was elated. I said to her, "Oh and look what it does" and pressed the button to start the music and lights. Nothing happened. That is when Sierra pointed to the front of the box and said, "Mommy look, it says 4 AA batteries required". I cannot describe the chill that went up my spine, I told her we would have to return this one and get her a new one, and we did.

Later that month I went to put Sierra to bed one night and she kept fussing and saying she wanted to keep the light on in her room. I refused and told her to get to sleep. No more than 15 minutes later a scream came from her room, I ran in and she was white as a ghost and said, "Mommy Mommy the old lady pulled my blankets off me!" Her blankets were piled on the floor at the foot of the bed. I didn't believe her and scolded her for telling tales and made her go back to bed. I would regret this and get my just desserts very shortly.

Sierra was with her dad on summer break again and I was all alone. My friends Jeana and Ashley were coming over. Jeana got there first and I told her what had been happening over the past few months. To my surprise, Jeana didn't laugh; she told me that she too had had weird experiences while babysitting at my house in the past. Ashley came over and asked to use the bathroom, we had said nothing to her about the weird happenings, and she walked into the hallway and stopped short, and came back out and said, "Oh Anna, something is not right, something is off in your house, and there is a bad energy in your hallway". That scared me so badly, I hadn't ever mentioned anything to Ashley, and she had been to my house many times but now even she noticed the change in the energy. Later, Jeana and Ashley were in the bathroom getting ready to go out. Suddenly I heard them both scream. The came running out and said my bathroom window had just shut of its own volition. I didn't see this but I definitely believed them, they looked very upset.

More and more stuff began to happen. I had a constant problem with flies, no matter what I did; I would come home to 20-30 flies in my living room, only in the living room. I had the manager check the windows, crawlspace and spray for bugs and even then, flies and more flies. The other thing was the freezing temp of my house. Even in summer the living room was ice cold. I had space heaters and the actual heating unit for the apt but no matter what, it was always icy cold, but it wasn't the kind of cold I was used to, it was bone chilling cold. It was all starting to make me wonder, but I didn't believe in ghosts or hauntings, so I never once thought any of these incidents were due to a ghost in my house until one night.

I went to bed around 2am and for some reason I consciously thought to myself that I was going to turn off all the lights, and close both the hallway door and my bedroom door. I don't know why I thought this to myself as my usual routine was to leave both open and the kitchen light on. But this night I turned everything off and closed the doors. I was lying in bed praying out loud for my daughter and started to hear what I thought was my upstairs nieghbour banging around. My neighbor was an elderly lady in a wheelchair, so this was strange to me. I stopped praying to listen and it stopped. I began my prayers again, the banging began again, I decided to just ignore it and as I did, it got louder and louder and louder until it was apparent it was not coming from upstairs. My bedroom door was violently shaking, as if someone was trying to get inside a door that was locked. My door had no lock, yet it was rattling in the door jam so violently that I was frozen with fear thinking someone had broken into my house and was going to come in and hurt me. I somehow got up the courage to jump out of bed, switch on the light, and fling open the door while screaming at the top of my lungs in an attempt to scare away whoever was on the other side of my bedroom door no one.

The hallway door was wide open, every single light in my house was now on, the TV was on to static, the computer was on, the stereo was on to static, every single electronic and light was on, and the doors I had closed only 20 minutes prior were all wide open. I stood breathless in the doorway of my hall and living room, and now my windows were rattling. I screamed, "Stop it stop it stop it!" I was jolted by a loud knock on my front door. It was the manager who lived across the hall. I opened the door and she asked if I was ok, she had heard my screams. I told her what happened. To my horror she said, "Oh, I thought you weren't having any of the problems Carlos had". I asked who Carlos was and what was she talking about.

Carlos had rented the unit back when Eric and I had 1st seen the apt in 2000, he signed a 1yr lease, 5 months in, he fled in the middle of the night stating the house was haunted and he refused to live there and broke the lease. The rent was so low because no one would stay longer than 6 months or so. I had been there nearly 2 years.

I left that night and stayed at my boyfriends. I went to the lab for work and my boss, a renowned Sleep doctor called me into his office and asked me what was wrong- I wear my emotions on my face loudly. I told him he was going to think I was crazy, I might be crazy, but here is what happened. He said he believed me and said I should talk to his wife Wendy, who knew about this stuff and could help me. She was a psychologist-Great I thought, he does think I'm nuts. Wendy came at lunch and told me she too believed me and I needed to "take my house back" and told me I needed to get some sage and salt water, go in the daytime open the windows and tell the spirit to either leave me and my daughter alone, or get out. I felt like an idiot talking to myself with a burning sage stick. But it worked. I stayed for another 8months until my current fiancΓ© moved us over to West Hollywood to be nearer to him.

I wondered so much about the apt, I looked it up and found 2 deaths, one was a natural death of an elderly woman (the woman who pulled my daughters blankets off?) and a young man who committed suicide in the detached garage. My daughter told me after we moved out that she had many other things happen to her but didn't want to scare me-she was like 5-8yrs old and didn't want to scare ME! I still feel badly that I didn't believe her the night she screamed for me, but I definitely got mine.

Other hauntings by Annalee420

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Annalee420, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
12 years ago (2012-07-29)
Analee: I deleted your last comment... This is the INTERNET for God's sake!...Don't give out such personal information to strangers... 😐 😐
Blackmissile (1 posts)
12 years ago (2012-02-19)
Hey Analee, I was wondering, is the apartment still haunted? Can you give me the Address of the apt? I myself live in Sherman oaks near ventura blvd and I want to do a bit of "Ghost Hunting":) thanks 😊
Annalee420 (2 stories) (3 posts)
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
I did go back in the daytime a few days later, once I got my courage up and saged the place and told "them" that they needed to stop messing with me&my daughter or id have them removed, if they stopped they could stay. After that nothing happened and I moved out immediately. I drove by a few months ago and it was STILL for rent. Seems like I'm not the ONLY one (or Carlos) that had a problem.
bandet888 (86 posts)
14 years ago (2010-06-21)
Strange nothing happened the first year you were there but maybe because you were hardly home. I was wondering when the cinderella castle went on in the middle of the night and you couldn't turn it off why didn't you look for the battery compartment and take the batteries out? Of course if you found no batteries it would freak you out! The flies remind me of the Amityville Horror. Sometimes I watched court TV (Judge Judy and what not) I never saw a case where a litigant testifies he/she broke a lease due to the place being haunted. I often wonder if there was such a case how the judge would react? Would the judge believe and would this be a ligimate legal reason to break a lease? But it looks like what you did got rid of the spirits in that apartment. Looks like you repaired that apartment. This may have happened in Amityville too as I have this one book called murder in Amityville by Hans Holzer which explains a medium was able to free the victims that were killed and put to rest the angry indian spirits. This may be why the new tenants in that house say there's nothing wrong with that house. Either that or the whole thing was a hoax. Either way it explains why the house is not haunted today.
Annalee420 (2 stories) (3 posts)
14 years ago (2010-01-26)
I also forgot to add that my daughter used to talk about the old lady in the closet-the bedroom closet door (one of those old heavy sliding double doors) would apparently open overnight. She would always ask me to "make sure the closet door is closed mommy" and I would, yet on many occasions, in the morning it would be slightly open. She would say that she saw the old lady in the closet, but again not believing in ghosts, I brushed it off as a childs imagination. After I posted this account, I went back and re-read my journal from back then and was reminded of so many other instances of weird stuff happening. But what I postedin my story, along with the content of this post is the good summary of our experience. -Annalee
Annalee420 (2 stories) (3 posts)
14 years ago (2010-01-25)
thanks everyone for taking the time to read and leave feedback. I often wonder how I would react had I known then what I know now about the paranormal. Sometimes it seems like it couldn't have really happened, and then just last month, Sierra and I were going through a box of pictures of our time in the apartment. To my amazement/horror in 3 of the pics there is a black mist surrounding me and my daughter. I will upload the pic of the mist surrounding me later today-id love to hear what you all think. Thanks again, Annalee
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
14 years ago (2010-01-25)
Yowza! That's pretty in depth and documented.

I've always wondered what is it about such phenomena and how such manages to operate electrical equipment.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
14 years ago (2010-01-25)
HHHOOOOO! That's some scary stuff... You did well by yelling at to begin with, I think 😊...And I wouldn't feel too bad about not believing your daughter at first... It wasn't in your mind to consider the paranormal... Sounds like they made a believer out of you, though!...
Thanks for the great story...
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
14 years ago (2010-01-25)
Excellent story, thank you for sharing it! That sounds like a crazy place to have lived... Though after the cleansing you did, you may have made it a much nicer place for others to live. I live in California too, and I know we have a lot of spiritually active places out here. Best of luck to you and your family in the future!
Pete16 (2 stories) (49 posts)
14 years ago (2010-01-25)
Annalee, I admire your bravery; you must be a very strong person! I also live alone, and I could never go through some of those experiences without losing it. Thanks for sharing!
Cholulteca (148 posts)
14 years ago (2010-01-25)
Liked reading your story, thanks for sharing it!:)


To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: