You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: I Think I'm Being Followed

Real Ghost Stories

I Think I'm Being Followed

 

I have had many different unexplainable things happen to me since I was a child, as early as 5 years of age. I was in a car accident then in which my mother was killed, near Carp, Ontario. We were on our way to see her father, my grandfather, in the hospital in Ottawa as she'd just received news that day that he was diagnosed with cancer. That was in January of 1970. That summer, when I was in our house, I heard my deceased mother calling me from outside.

I went out the door and she was sitting on our swing set and I remember being so happy to see her. (I don't think I understood the concept of ghosts then.) She talked to me for several minutes, and I remember distinctly her asking me how my middle brother was. We were gently swinging back and forth under the weeping willow tree. I heard the back door (screen door) slam shut and looked over and when I looked back she was gone.

Her father that we were going to see in the hospital, died later that same year in November from lung cancer. I went to live with my grandmother (his wife) seeing as how girls weren't allowed to stay in homes back then without women. My two brothers stayed with my father. My grandmother and I moved from their big house into an apartment in Almonte, ON and I had my own room with two beds in it.

I always slept in the steel three-quarter bed, and I woke up one night and saw my grandfather, he was like a much defined fog of himself, wearing a ring in which a huge bright light was shining from. I froze, couldn't yell or scream, felt like I had something stuck in my throat, pulled the covers over my head, and then he was gone. I told my grandmother about it, and she told me that their two sons had been fighting over my grandfather's ring which had a diamond in it, and one of them took it off of him in the casket.

Since those early experiences, I've had many different experiences, but with no-one that I recognized. When my ex-husband and I lived in a rented farmhouse outside of Perth, Ontario, it seemed to really escalate. The taps in the kitchen would come on full force by themselves (witnessed by others at a dinner party we had on New Year's Eve), I could hear someone walking up the back stairs from the kitchen to our bedroom at night. Specific footsteps, not just creaky boards.

There was a handprint left on the frost on the upstairs window, for which there was no way up on the outside of the house. We didn't stay a month before we called the owners and told them that we were leaving. The neighbor that pulled me out of the ditch there one night, after listening to my stories, told me that the old couple who had lived there both died in the house, within a month of each other.

A farmhouse that I owned near Forester's Falls, Ontario also had a few occurrences in it. My children were terrified to go to bed by themselves and my daughter didn't sleep all night any night that we lived there, she always woke up crying and screaming. The lights in the upstairs hall would flick on and off by themselves. The dog, our Rottweiler, would jump up from a sound sleep, and with hackles raised, would stare into that hallway and growl and bark.

I saw a man, dressed from the period of around the turn of the century in that hallway one night and he made me aware of his feeling of being lost and I knew that he was trying to get to Forester's Falls. The day we bought the house, when we tried to unlock the door with the keys, something was pushing on the other side of the door when we tried to open it. The people who lived there before moved far away so I couldn't question them about it.

The house that my husband and I built where I live now, near Cobden, Ontario, seems to have people arguing in the basement. For the longest time they would wake me up, like clockwork, every night at 3 am and I would wake my husband and ask if he could here them, but he would just roll over and go back to sleep, claiming that I was 'crazy'. I couldn't make out what they were saying from the second story of the house, but I could distinctly tell from the tone of the voices that they were arguing.

As we were building our home, I'd already started the garden here, and it was on a Sunday afternoon that we came for a picnic here. I was checking for potato bugs and someone pushed me very hard from behind and I fell to the ground on my hands and knees. I laughed, thinking that it was my husband, but when I turned around and looked there was no-one there.

We built a wrap-around porch on our house, and have huge windows all around the house, and on several, several occasions, I've had him go outside to see who it was that was walking by the windows, but now he refuses to listen to me, because not once did he see anyone.

One month ago, in the middle of the night, he also woke up with me, when we heard a huge bang inside the house. He was panting, asking me if I heard that. I said yes, and he whispered, it sounds like there is someone downstairs, but when he got up and looked, there was no-one, and no tracks on our driveway in the fresh snow the next morning either.

I've had the feeling of panic when I come down in the basement, where the kid's bedrooms are, all though, they're all adults and have moved out now. A few times I've seen shadows, or thought I had, race across the hall in front of me as I round the corner for the laundry room. My heart races, but I force myself to keep going and try to ignore it.

It just seems so strange to me that everywhere I've lived there's been some kind of 'happening' there.

Other hauntings by keltlass

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, keltlass, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

keltlass (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-27)
Thank you for all of your comments and advice. Just last night we (my 'skeptical' husband and I) heard splashing downstairs. My husband refused to get up, said it must be the heating in our house. We have in floor radiant heating. For the past nine years of living here, I've never heard any type of 'splashing' noises. I was so exhausted I just went to sleep. No evidence of anything this morning.
ab42berry (31 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-27)
if you want it to stop say psalm 91 and 71 out loud 3 times before you go to bed and when you wake up. Also put a bowl of vinegar mixed with salt in your room or any room you feel is haunted. I just cleared up a haunting this week with this method. If those are not enough contact me at ab42berry [at] yahoo.com
moonshadow (3 stories) (146 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-27)
Hi Keltlass.
Good story it definetley seems as though you are pychic as things happen everywhere you move too I wouldend be affraid do as you never come to any harm. Keep us posted on any new occurances take care...
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-26)
I would agree, it sounds as if you have been blessed (or cursed-depending on your point of view) with a gift of experincing phenomenon that others do not. It may have something to do with losing your mother at such a young age and in such a instant and tragic manor. It is thought that an envent like this may trigger many responses, one of which may be the perception to paranormal activity.

It does sound to me like you have a good handle on what is going on around you.

Keep us posted. God Bless!
_pretty_ (25 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-26)
sounds like they are drawn to you... Good luck and I love how your house sounds I love huge windows😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: