You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: The Thing That Makes Me Believe, My Sleep Paralysis Demon

Real Ghost Stories

The Thing That Makes Me Believe, My Sleep Paralysis Demon

 

To start, I am an educated adult male who happens to spend his free time writing paranormal horror fiction. I make a good living at it although not nearly enough that I don't have to be careful with my money. It might sound like I'm going to spin some yarn about demons or twist your ear with made up tales but you'd be greatly mistaken. I write using life experience.

Since the age of 4 I've suffered from Sleep Paralysis issues. Waking up with the feeling something is holding me down, something that I can only explain as truly evil. It has caused me to have many phobias; of the dark, of silence, of what could be around a corner (that is a real phobia by the way), and of being alone.

When I awake, paralyzed and helpless, it first began as only a feeling of pressure and terror, the idea that something was in the room with me and when the paralysis passes the feeling went with it. It wasn't until I was in my mid-teens that I began to see things as well, always the same thing.

In the dark I could still make it out, an almost humanoid form in the blackness, pressing down on my chest with a gnarled, gaunt hand, I still swear I could smell it, I can't even explain it using worldly terms because the stink is something I somehow know is otherworldly. I didn't begin to see its face until I was around 17. It is almost human but oddly warped and confusing to see, human but not at the same time. All eyes and sharp angles, no visible nose but a long, tooth filled mouth. Sometimes it is whispering, other times totally silent.

It grew up with this terror, I feared (and still do) it so much that I have been sleeping with the lights on since I was 13, sleeping with a television on for the sound since I was 18, sleeping with a weapon handy since I was in my twenties. I believe myself to be a skeptic, objective and beyond petty paranormal belief and superstitions but I can never shake the possibility that I am having a real supernatural event. I'd like opinions. I'd enjoy answer and love some debate on the subject. I've asked all my friends about it, many times in fact, but they aren't helpful and tend to shrug it away because they don't suffer the condition. I fear the power going out worse than death. I have a large supply of candle, flashlights and batteries at all times. I know that fear isn't rational but somehow my logical mind isn't part of this, somewhere in my instinct below my thoughts I just feel that darkness is hostile, that open doors are dangerous and that around any corner something might be lurking.

I am not religious, I am at best Agnostic, so I'd rather explain this in some sort of Eastern demonic fashion, but somehow it doesn't seem to fit. Once more, I write fiction for a living but this is my true story, a sort of mania biography and I'm looking for second opinions on the subject because I can't trust my own logic on this matter. I have seen a few therapists, I have Asperger syndrome, but I don't believe that my Sleep Paralysis is related, although I can't be totally sure on that. That is why I need to share this, maybe it might help a bit.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, nyarlathotepsama, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

trishainkingman (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-09)
This is a tuff nut to crack. My thoughts go out to you for sure, My question is this, where did you live when the black humanoid thing revealed it self to you? Do you still live in the same place or have you moved since seeing it for the first time? By the way spirits/demons can follow you. But I have had a similar experience. I was not dreaming, but woke up out of a deep sleep, I could not moved, it was as if I was glued in position, my heart was beating out of my chest, and my breathing was labored. I felt as if something was in the room with me, but I could not see it. But I could feel it, if that makes any since to all of you readers. I was scared half out of my mind. So yes I know how you feel. But with sleep paralysis how much is real and how much is the subconciouse that is the question. If you want to study this thing start back to when it first occured so on and so forth, then it is up to you to make the decision, Are you halucinating or are you really seeing something 😕
17 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-08)
It happened to me this morning... I heard my name so I opened my eyes and looked at my door then the pressure flooded from the left side of my bed until it was like a blanket of pressure on top of my whole body... In one ear was a buzzing noise and in the other was a creepy laughter, I just relaxed though and then it went away. I remember this happened to me before and I tried screaming and moving which only frustrated me cause I couldnt... But until I was 12 I slept with my parents everyyyy night and to this day I hate being alone and I always sleep with my closet light on because I'm still afraid of the dark... I'm wondering if this will ever go away or was I traumatized when I was little so the fear still stayed with me? I've been reading a lot about sleep paralysis today and is that the case or does this really have to do with demons and spirits? 😕
Yoli (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-25)
I can honestly say I am surprised at the similarities between both of our experiences. In my case however, I haven't smelled anything. Since I was little I remember going to sleep always with a light on because I was terrified of being alone and darkness. Always felt like something was watching me... Threatening me, I can't explain why. Then sometimes I would wake up and I could not move followed by shakes (like turbo trembling). Today I'm 25 and still experience the same thing. The thing is now I can tell when its going to happen (something about the atmosphere) and I don't panic anymore. I wake up, can't move and everything is shadowy. I feel it touches me and causes me to shake. I've also felt as if I'm being draged out of my bed and I recall "dancing" alone in the dark. Sometimes I feel like it whispers to me but I can never remember what it is.
Anyways, it would be great to hear more about your experience and if there's anything you've done to avoid this...
Thank you,
Yoli
Flamingo (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-12)
I used to be troubled by this very thing myself. I used to fight and fight it! I would try in every way to escape, to wake myself up. Finally, someone suggested that instead of fighting, to relax and "go with it". The first time I tried that, my ears filled with an awful roaring sound and I felt an intense falling sensation. Then I woke up. After a few more times of not fighting, it just went away. I never saw an entity, but sometimes would hear what I took to be the flap of huge bat wings and sometimes, scary laughter. I was also told that my experiences could be the beginning of "astral travel". Good Luck with your quest - I hope you resolve it soon.
Walter_R (1 stories) (81 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-06)
I think you need to get a cat or a dog. If you can have one where you live that is.

Take care,

Walter
zurger555 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-19)
oyu should try to bell the house with a priest or it could have partly possesed but very interesting story.
MMAHMED611 (16 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
Since you are experimenting, why not experiment with this - Download and play this audio at low volume on repeat for 1-3 days and see if your sleep paralysis goes away. From what I know, playing it one time should keep these entities/demons away from your house for 3 days.

Http://www.ruqyashariyah.org/home/?q=node/246

Thanks,
MMAhmed.
no_XIII (34 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-07)
Whoa, that's some outrageous stuff, that sleep paralysis, black humanoid thing, and uhh, hope you're appendix is better now. Oh, by the way, I'm a new guy here, so I hope you guys could show me the ropes.
Archangel035 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-06)
I spoke to someone last week who has a brother who was a hardcore Buddhist who's bed not only shook violently, but had his sheets ripped during sleep paralysis. He's since had my friend visit and pray in his room to cast out the demons and hasn't had a problem since. He is now a practicing Christian. Here's how I got rid of my personal problem; along with my normal short bed-time prayer, I added these lines I got from Demonbuster dot com:

"Father, in Jesus Name, I bind all demons of the night, nightmares, bad dreams, torment, sleeplessness, & torture. I command these demons to loose me and come out of me, and I ask that you protect my mind while I sleep. I ask for giant warrior Angels to protect me and my property as I sleep, through the night and the day. I ask for a fiery wall of protection around me. In JESUS name, Amen."

Also, for video testimonials of others experiencing this you can check out http://tiny.cc/soulsmacklive or browse youtube.
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-06)
Sounds like something really strange to me, but then again I've also seen my fill of strange paranormal things. I think conquering your fears will go miles to help out your situation, even though it is no easy task and probably will take a long time and a lot of effort on your part. I haven't read the previous posts so I may be repeating. I have seen a few demonic humanoid looking entities (fortunately for me a very rare occurance) but the few times I saw them they showed aspects of animal and human twisted together in some grotesque fashion. They had sharp teeth very needle like and exaggerated and instead of finger nails long black talon like claws. The eyes were one solid color (no white) usually a shiny glittery black. This is only my personal observation that I have seen of spirits like this. Oh and lastly the skin looked really weird. One of the ones I saw had brown skin that stretched tight around the frame like a dehydrated mummy, and another one had skin that had deep gouges all over and it was grey in color. Both were nude.
Flakjacket (23 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-10)
Nyarl - Hey, I'm sorry to hear about your appendix also, I hope you are feeling better! I just was wondering if you have actually seen anything yet on the tapes.

JimD - I have a question, and I'm not trying to get too biblical and into religions either, but why is Mary's name supposed to ward off evil? I can see invoking God's name and Michael's.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-01)
Wow, Nyar I'm so sorry to hear about the appendix problem. I've heard that's a very dangerous condition and I'm glad you're doing alright now.

I am VERY intrigued by the video taping thing because I've been considering that myself. My room has been making me feel a little strange lately--just an odd vibe if you will--and I've been having some really out-there nightmares. My internal question here is whether the tape is fuzzy because of an entity that is close-by, or if it's because your own energies are causing it, since when you're asleep, you're much more open.

If it's your own energy, then you probably have a LOT of untapped spiritual potential that you don't realize you possess!

Also, if you're interested in checking out the sound on the video you recorded in more depth, there's a software program called Audacity that a lot of people use to record EVP. It allows you to separate out sounds based on soundwaves (you physically see the sound wave when a sound comes up) and you can adjust the speed and level at which it plays, so you can better amplify stuff that is hidden in the background. If I'm not mistaken the program is free, so it's worth a shot if you want to pursue it!
nyarlathotepsama (1 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-01)
Video taping has been... Well strange, this might sound a little less skeptical of me than normal but, during the hours I am asleep the tape tends to be fuzzier than when I am awake. I can't judge if there are any sounds that are out of place because I can't bring myself to sleep in silence, my paranoia kicks in and I can sleep.

The last few days I've in a hospital, my appendix burst early Friday evening and I'm only just getting home and I had a strange feeling I should check this site... I can't explain that either.
number13 (31 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-26)
Hello, I have come back for an urgent message for you. It seems that some one is having a similar fate, he/she has sleep paralysis and other stuff you have experienced, maybe you could help him I suppose. Well then, just open this link and you will find him/her. Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=8590
number13 (31 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-26)
Hello again, its been quite a long time since we've talked. Anyways, have you try video recording yourself sleeping? I'm just asking. Well now, I better get going, keep us posted. Farewell for now.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-26)
Thank you, I'M glad self Hypnosis and positive suggestion helped some what, I will use your story and my own experince to help encourage others to give it ago, your a champion well done mate.
Aussiedaz
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-25)
Thank you for following up on that! I'm going to try the vinegar and salt by my bed to see if that might help get rid of some of the crazy nightmares I've been having lately.
nyarlathotepsama (1 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-25)
Well, Three methods seem to work the best for me and I'll share them now!

Positive Self Hypnosis; saying to myself often throughout the day "If I wake up held down I won't be afraid, my demon has no power over me if I'm not afraid." It seems to work well, even if I awaken with SP it seems to keep the terror away.

Oddly enough the Bowl of white Vinegar and salt (I'm using Kosher salt) seems to be working pretty well. I know there is nothing scientific about it but it does seem to have a real effect. A bowl of White Vinegar and Salt near my bed does have a positive effect... It also makes it hard to keep a skeptical mind set.

I'm not sure if saying the Psalms (91 and 71) but I'd like to being to believe that they are helping. I'm not an atheist, just an agnostic, I'm not against god just church and major religions.

I hope what has helped me helps anyone else that reads this.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-24)
Nyar, I hope things continue to get better for you. Hopefully you will let us know which method (s) worked best for you so others can try them too!
nyarlathotepsama (1 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-24)
JimD
Thanks for the advice, I'm no Catholic myself but I have nothing against them, so I may try some of your methods. But I have to add a couple of things real quick. I don't like being pitied by people that believe themselves better than me by either their religion, career or ego, using the term "Poor Souls" is both Sanctimonious and rather pompous, with all due respect of course, I'd rather be demon hounded than pitied. No insult just saying, I suffer but I never seek pity I'm above that.

Update: I had another event this morning, as I sleep during the day, but it wasn't as terrible as normal. Something you've all suggested is working for me and I'll continue to use the methods I've learned here. Thank you all very much!
JimD (431 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-23)
Hi D.V. I read your story. It is also very familiar to me. Seeing dark shadows, darker than the surrounding darkness, sometimes accompanied by temperature drops, aka cold spots, are tell tale signs of the beginnings of demonic infestation. So are what I call magical wisperings, i.e. Wisperings without any human origin. I had not realized that you had seen things also. It's hard to explain in a paragraph or less, but in our increasingly secular country, and world, the old boy is both more active and less recognized at the same time. His m.o. Stays the same, but our response is almost always psychological. Not to be redundant, but my advice to you is identical to ny... Email me if you need more info. Dukes2352atAOL.com.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-23)
My opinions aside, I just don't see the point. 😉 Help me understand.
JimD (431 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-23)
PS Others have described demonic faces as having human features, but not human faces because the dimensions were not human, or so I've been told during my experiences helping others. This case is clear. Get that Holy water from the nearest Catholic Church. See previous posting re. Prayer to Mary, St. Michael, receipt of sacraments, etc. Keep fighting. Dukes2352atAOL.com.
JimD (431 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-23)
Sorry Deviousangel that that irkes you. I don't care what irkes you. I care about lending assistance to these poor souls. God bless.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-23)
JimD, I fail to see the relevance of your occupation when giving your advice. It irks me that you always mention you are a law enforcement officer, as though that lends credibility to your response. Let your response speak for itself.
JimD (431 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-23)
I have the answer. I am a law enforcement officer (at least for a litle longer - thank God) and a religious demonologist. Your symptoms are quite familiar to me, because I've heard them many times before. You're right between the infestation stage and the oppression stage of demonic assault. In fact, you may even be in the full oppression stage. You need a lot of (Catholic) Holy water, blessed salt, and try invoking the names of Jesus, Mary, and St. MIchael the Archangel - often. If you were Catholic, I'd strongly suggest frequent receipt of the Sacrements (Mass, Holy Communion, confession) OFTEN. However, start with the Holy water, and calling upon Our Lord and Mary for help. See how your visitor / demon reacts. Email me at Dukes2352atAOL.com, if you need more assistance. God bless you.
nyarlathotepsama (1 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-20)
Update;

Well I haven't been using just one of the suggestions you all have given me... I've been using most of them! I placed a bowl of white vinegar and salt near by bed, I bought some jasmine scented oil and breathed that in before sleep, I said the Psalms 91 and 71 from the King James Version of the bible (the most common version I believe) and began self hypnotizing. I also took up relaxing through meditation before I went to sleep.

So it has been two night (days in my case), without an event, although my feelings of fear, unease, and paranoia are still there.

Thanks for the help, you all suggested things I'd never have thought of on my own and my belief level has been increased a bit. Both very good things. I'll update again in a few days, but I'll still be checking the site often.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-18)
Give it a go, What I suggest you do is tell yourself 10 times a day at least, (NEXT TIME I FEEL PINNED DOWN I AM GOING TO LAUGH BECAUSE I KNOW ITS MY IMAGINATION) or something like that, self hypnosis should counter act your fears which I'm sure is fueling this condition.

Let me know how you go,

Cheers
nyarlathotepsama (1 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-18)
angelfeathers

I know of the condition... Sadly. I've tried to put it out of my mind as best as possible. The idea of an unexplained sudden death is frightening, although oddly I've never been afraid to die. I've had a number of near death experiences; auto accidents, a hunting accident, medication allergies.

Pjod
That is very true, my grandmother keeps calling some strange Gaelic term that I can't spell off the top of my head. She is a believer in the folklore from her homeland.

DeviousAngel
*grins* I didn't expect many Lovecraftians to notice since I added the honorific odd how it changes language. Don't worry, I wouldn't have responded if I had felt you were having a go at me.

Moongrim
On some sites I would have loved for someone to bring up a Lovecraft creature but here not so much. I'd hope you wouldn't make light of my problem, it hasn't been a joking matter for me.

Update
I never thought to add this but... There room where I sleep is always much warmer than the rest of the house. Not by a little but a lot, often 10s of degrees.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-18)
All eyes and angles, long tooth filled mouth.

Not a hound of Tindalos is it?

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: