You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Demons / Possessions / Exorcisms :: Sleep Disorder, A Stalker Demon, Or Am I Just Crazy?

Real Ghost Stories

Sleep Disorder, A Stalker Demon, Or Am I Just Crazy?

 

Towards the end of summer in 2009, I started getting increasingly disturbing "dreams". My family just laughed it off and told me it was just really bad nightmares, but I knew it was something worse than just your regular bad dream, because I was conscious when they occurred. I live in a small town in Missouri, my family is religious. I've never delved in the occult or Ouija boards. There's no reason for a demon to torment me. I'm just your average small town American teenager.

The episodes would always start out the same, a presence in my room would awake me, I found myself unable to move or talk, but my eyes were open and I could see everything, something would be sitting on my chest, something HEAVY, my jaw would feel like it was wired shut. I felt wave after wave of this awful panic, I wish I could describe it so you could understand even just a little bit how incredibly terrifying it felt; shivers would run up and down my spine, fear kept my eyes open in my paralyzed state, but I wasn't alone.

There was always a shrouded figure in my room, sometimes watching me from the corner, sometimes standing over me or sometimes floating over me, laying over me so its face was even with my own, and suspended inches away. I knew it was some form of a demon, the feeling I would get when it visited is indescribable. The encounters started out bad enough, but they would get worse and more frequent. They started out happening about once every two weeks, but then they began happening two to three nights a week. The worst encounter yet happened towards the end of August, just before the start of my sophomore year.

I woke up unable to move, a heavy pressure on my chest made it hard for me to breathe. My eyes were open. I could feel that evil presence that always accompanies the demon. It was floating over me, its face inches from my own. I couldn't make out any features, it was just a black pulsating mist or like a form shrouded in billowing black cloaks. I couldn't move, I couldn't yell for my parents or my brother, so I did the only thing I could think of; I started to pray, (I was raised in a Christian family and I do believe in God) I just said Jesus' name over and over again hoping it would help. It made it worse, the terror increased, it felt like something had grabbed my arms and pinned them above my head. That was not the first time it had touched me, but it was the first and only time the demon spoke to me, so far.

I was just praying and praying and begging God to send it away, or to stop it when it put and end to my desperate prayers. The demon growled, "God can't help you now.", and it sounded enraged. Its voice didn't sound like anything I have ever heard before, nothing here on Earth could ever sound like that. Its voice was a deep throaty, rough whisper. It had the voice of a man and a woman at the same time. A high, cracked pitch of a woman in pain and the deep voice of man that's been smoking for twenty years. I've never heard anything like it ever.

Gradually it receded and I could move again. I was scared out of my mind. I ran to my parent's room and freaked out on them, until they let me sleep with them for the rest of the night.

I know I was haunted by a demon and I still get visits from time to time, but it doesn't scare me as much as it used to and it doesn't happen as often but it's still incredibly unsettling. But I know it was real and it happened and I hate how people write it off as being "a sleep disorder" because it was real, not something in my head that my sub-conscious mind created while I was asleep. I'm not crazy, I know it all sounds hard to believe but it was real, I swear to God. I just hope it never happens again.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sheridantT, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Autumnbaby (11 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-12)
I am very sorry that has happened to you. I hope things are getting better for you. You were right to pray to God for help. Although the entity mocked you, the Bible clearly states that the Lord will never abandon His children in a time of need. As long as you have faith, the Lord will hear you and preotect you. Good luck and prayers xoxo
daeuny1000 (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-04)
I don't think its right but in my opinion I think that sleep paralysis is caused by demon, don't you think? Anyway its good to hear that you called God the father for help, even the demon mocks you by saying that God can't help you the demon ran away. But when you have sleep paralysis (which I think the demon is doing it) I advice you to be strong and brave and just ignore it and stay calm thinking that our father is always with us and try moving your tip of your and or tongue. I know it sounds weird but myfriend had that experience ALOT of times that she found a way to get out if it, just stay calm don't be afraid and move the littlest part of your muscle like moving you finger or a tip of your tongue.
shadowprincess (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-23)
I thInk I know what you're experiencing. It's happened to me before, it still happens to this very day. At first, I thought I had a sleeping disorder, always waking up in the mIddle of the night to be completely conscious, but not able to move. What you've experienced, was a demon raping you. I know, sounds crazy right? It's the same concept, but happens differently. My parents never believed me, so I had to turn to my grandmother who studied ghost activity. Her house is haunted. And she's the one that told me what I was experiencing. I know how you feel, but I want to let you know that you aren't alone.
girly2 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-03)
i think who ever says you have a sleep disorder is completely wrong. I have felt the same way. I would wake up and see a shadow in my room. Although it did not speak to he or lock me down. I have rosary beads hanging next to my bed and late at night I was up and they moved as if someone had tried to rip them down. I have occurring nightmares of my basement being haunted. And so on. Trust me you are not alone and I believe your house is truly haunted. ❤
garbagegigo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-01)
Is sleep paralysis the only explanation? Can't there be another explanation like a real demon like ShreidantT is saying?

For all of you people who are writing it off as just sleep paralysis I would like to say, 'try and be a little more critical'. Let me give an example why you aren't being critical enough:

All of us know that when the wind blows, leaves will shake because of the wind. But what you people are saying is that leaves shake ONLY because of the wind.

If someone goes and violently shakes the trunk of a tree, then also the leaves will shake won't they? So, just because you know the wind shakes leaves, it doesn't mean that it holds true for every leaf that shakes.

So, even though scientists say that people experience stuff like the author has related because of sleep paralysis, it does not have to be true for each and every case.
nella1208 (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-19)
i don't think its sleep paralysis otherwise you would not have heard the entity say god can't help you now! I think a demon is there stalking you I advise you to get help maybe call a priest in to clense the house. Good luck and keep safe 😊 ❤
lucasmom (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-12)
Reading about sleep paralysis helps to understand what may be going on. Have you read about sleep paralysis? Education is power and should help ease your fear. That being said, I had a crazy experience that could be considered sleep paralysis, except that my husband who was sleeping next to me was dreaming about what I was experiencing (what could be considered a sleep paralysis hallucination) at the same time that it was happening! Sometimes things happen that we cannot logically explain. This doesn't mean we should blindly accept one idea/theory over another. Find what will help you stay strong and calm when this happens (for some it's prayer/religion, others it's a mantra...). Good luck!
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-15)
haha you scared it away! What a weak demon, no matter how scary they sound they will always cower and hide behind their master, Satan, they aren't powerful when we call upon our Great Lord and his Son. When we call for him he will come. That demon you heard was WEAK! It will only be powerful if you let it. Stay positive and look up to our Lord with praise and you'll feel safe. I send blessings of protection and best of luck.~Katherine~ ❤ ❤ ❤
jkj004 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-15)
I cannot tell you how much your story relates to mine. There are people out there who will say that this is a disorder but little do they know that they are wayyy off. I know what you're saying is 100% true as this has happened to me and still does from time to time but not so much as it use to. I too have grown less afraid because it's something that I've gotten use to. I wish there was a way to explain why this happens because I would like answers myself. I live in Texas and this has been happening to me for a few years now. I pray each day that this would end and I wonder if there's some work that I need to do for god that I yet to see in order to make this go away. Thank you for sharing this with others because it sad how others could pass this off as a disorder. I think they do that because either they don't have many beliefs or just have yet to encounter such a force as you and I have.
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-11)
Jitow, your comment is the truth in all honesty & reality. Bless you. And I think it's so sad that the enemy can use these situations for people to write them off as a sleep disorder. These things aren't taken seriously when they most seriously need to be. Yes I do believe in sleep paralysis, but I also know that the enemy does his work as well. Either way the only thing that's going to free a person of it is the Lord. I know some of our friends here will disagree but that's okay, I'm a pastor I'm used to skeptics & flat out non-believers, so say what you will. But don't knock anyone here for having faith in Jesus Christ & doing what we have been taught. Bless you & yours. Much love.

~LSD~
Aya-Love-Carrots (150 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-08)
Hey 😊 your not crazy and its not hard to believe, well duh! This site is full of unexplanable things, anyway thanks for sharing your story, and I hope you'll get some help from some people on this site, as for me... Hmmm... Well... I say... Take care always, that's all 😊 and do pray, some people say it works:) I mean, it works!? Yeah it works I guess... Those it?:o waah... Sorry for doubthing! T_T I really do believe in God but, I don't believe in prayers...: (please don't judge me...

-Aya Velencoso Segura
LiLyRatRox (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-08)
I believe you, I'm sorry people just think it's a sleep disorder, I hope your ok now 😊
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-07)
I'm sorry, but this really does sound like sleep paralysis. Try to stay calm when it happens, and it should ease up a bit. Do whatever helps you stay calm, pray, sing, count, whatever. Keep your mind occupied until you can move again.
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-07)
Sounds like a classic case of sleep paralysis. Sleep paralysis is most often associated with narcolepsy, a neurological condition in which the person has uncontrollable naps. However, there are many people who experience sleep paralysis without having signs of narcolepsy. Sometimes it runs in families. There is no known explanation why some people experience this paralysis. It is not harmful, although most people report feeling very afraid because they do not know what is happening, and within minutes they gradually or abruptly are able to move again; the episode is often terminated by a sound or a touch on the body.

In some cases, when hypnogogic hallucinations are present, people feel that someone is in the room with them, some experience the feeling that someone or something is sitting on their chest and they feel impending death and suffocation. That has been called the "Hag Phenomena" and has been happening to people over the centuries. These things cause people much anxiety and terror, but there is no physical harm.

Are you getting enough sleep, are you stressed. Exercising regularly and also keeping a regular sleep schedule helps.
Jitow (362 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-06)
This entity knows whether you have personally surrendered your heart to Jesus and if the Holy Spirit is indwelling in you, that is a brief description of a Christian. It also knows that you just grew up in a Christian home yet you have made no personal committment to serving Christ or surrendering your will to His. He will save you regardless, but after He has done this great loving miracle for you, saves you from this evil entity like nothing else can, and you do not seek to know Him more, you just turn your back and continue living the same life, He will let the entity have access until you figure this simple process out. Evil torments you, Jesus rescues you, wow what a miracle of love He did for me, I want to know Him more and commit my life to Him. Instead of, evil torments me, I remember someone say to call on Jesus and demons will flee, you call on Jesus and the demons flee, just like Jesus is some kind of plumber or something that does house calls for free, and then you go about your life just like He had done nothing. The only payment that He seeks is that you seek Him and let Him do much more for you and your life than this. You have an awesome opportunity here, don't waste it, seek Him.
ab42berry (31 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-06)
For protection I would recommend prayer time before bed including reading psalm 91 and 71 outloud three times before you go to bed. Feel free to contact me if you need more help.
Gigglesanh (3 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-06)
I'm so sorry to hear that this is happening to you. I have had a few things like that to happen to me as well and like you I just laid there and prayed to God to make it go away. It would eventually. If I were you I would call a preist or maybe your local preacher and have your house annionted and prayed over. I know it can be scary and it may try to wear you down but keep your faith strong and always believe that God will protect you no matter what it may say to you. Best wishes! ❤ 😁 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: