You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: A Summers Ghost Story

Real Ghost Stories

A Summers Ghost Story

 

It happened on a very hot June day in the summer of 1976. It was a Saturday afternoon and I was sitting in the living room with my dad. He was watching the horse racing (something he always did on a Saturday) while I was more interested in the football results.

It was quite a large living room, or it seemed so to me at the time. I say that because when you are younger things seemed bigger. Never the less it was big enough. It was a four bed roomed house, and one of the bedrooms (mine) was downstairs just as you came in through the front door. There were two entrances into the living room. One from the front hall and the other from the kitchen. If you were to enter from the front hall the television would be on your left against the wall as you come through the door. On your right were a settee and two chairs. Between the settee and chairs was a coffee table. Beyond was a room divider behind which was a dining table and chairs. Also the door to the kitchen that was always kept closed because we had a dog (A half Labrador half Boxer called Major) that was kept out back and not allowed into the living room. My dad was very strict about not letting the dog have the run of the house.

That day the front door and living room door was left open because of the heat. We were both sitting watching the television and chatting now and again about football when a large black haired dog came running into the room. It ran around between us wagging its tail boisterously and then ran off behind the room divider. My dad jumped up in the air angrily shouting after the dog to get out. We both ran behind the room divider to chase it out, but to our surprise it wasn't there.

There was no way it could have gotten passed us and it was a dead end behind the room divider. The hairs on my neck raised and I could see in my fathers face that he was stunned as well. I can't remember if we said anything to each other but I know in my heart that we had just seen a ghost. Okay it was a dog ghost but a ghost never the less. To this day I can still see that dog in my mind. I don't know if it was a warning of some sort but strange things have happened since that day.

Not long after (maybe a year or so) our dog was killed by a large grass cutter on a main road. Other things have happened far too many to go into at the moment but strange things that looking back could be interpreted as warnings of things to come. I'm not saying they were but if you think back into your past when bad or good things have happened to you or your family did anything strange (It does not have to be ghostly apparitions) but abnormal signs of a sort that you can't explain. What happened that day to us I will never forget. I know what I saw and I don't care who believes me. At the time I didn't think that it was anything other than a ghost, but now, when I think about it, it was much more.

Before that happened, way back in my younger years other things happened. Things my memory isn't as clear about. And things have happened since. Things I do remember. Remember very clearly. So as an experiment I would like who ever is reading this, to think back. The signs can be very subtle. Almost insignificant but if you try hard enough, I'm sure that you have had these warnings as well. You might not have realized it at the time. I certainly didn't.

I will write again about other happenings. Things that have happened. Things that I took no notice of at the time. That's the problem. When these things happen, they mean nothing until you look back and analyze them. By then it is usually too late. Its like when your sitting doing nothing and you maybe think about a friend or family member then suddenly your phone rings and its whoever you were thinking about on the end of the line, or you look at your phone a split second before it rings.

These are all signs of a sort. Small glimpses of the future. I know that skeptics would have rational explanations for all this. That's their jobs they're skeptics. They have by their nature to rationalize everything. Their problem is not everything can be rationalized. You will here from me again. Sometime in the future.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, harrywelsh, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-04-26)
You're a brilliant writer and I love this story. I'm looking forward to reading more... In the future.

LSD

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: