You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Old Apartment, Haunted?

Real Ghost Stories

My Old Apartment, Haunted?

 

It had to be about 2000, 2001 because I was about 12 - 13 give or take. We moved from California to New Hampshire when I was 5 and had lived in the city of Dover. It was calm and nothing strange ever happened there which is why my experiences a few years later when we moved to Rochester were so incredible to me.

We moved into one of those old houses that had been one large old building and then turned into an apartment complex. I don't think any of us really thought about the age of the place so much until we found this really old pantry in the basement.

I have a brother; he's the oldest, and a sister, the middle child. We all had the same feelings about the basement, we always felt watched. My sister and I felt dreadful when we had to go down. It was after we'd lived there for a couple of years when our landlord cleared out a bunch of old junk and lumber from one of the corners of the basement and we found a door behind it all. We, of course, were curious so we got the door open - which wasn't easy- and went in. We were grossed out by all the really old jars we found on cement shelves cause they seemed be full of old fruits, jams, and other such things. The place was obviously one of those old rooms people used before refrigerators. It was gross. So, we cleaned it out a little.

I've read a lot about old things being disturbed or places being entered that hadn't been in a long time bringing about activity and I often wonder if that's what caused the following years to be so... Eventful until we moved out. I remember a number of occurrences.

I can remember talking to my sister briefly about everything and understanding that she felt as much fear of the basement as I did and often felt odd and watched. We didn't go into great detail of anything at that point. I was a kid and so was she and it freaked us out. We didn't want to have an encounter of the paranormal kind at the time.

I remember sitting at the table in the kitchen having a normal conversation with my neighbor and in the middle of talking the sink turned on. We both froze; it was in the middle of the afternoon. I had to get up walk over and turn it back off. It wasn't just a sudden drip or anything; I had to turn the handle back.

I can remember sitting in the living room and having my old toy remote car. I was playing with it and I turned on its headlights so I could turn off the big light. I was young it was summer vacation and I was the only one still up. When I set the remote (buttons up) onto the seat next to me and walked over to the light switch the toy car started driving it's self back and forth. I kicked it and ran into my mother's room. The cars wheels were not moving when we returned and it never 'malfunctioned' in that way before or after that one incident. It had scared me very much.

For the most part the house didn't scare us or me in particular. I would be afraid when I saw the shadows in the corner of my eye or when my sister would shout to empty air to stop whispering her name, but beyond the moment it happened I wouldn't feel threatened really. The only time I did was in the basement. And even then it wasn't consistent. I didn't like to go down, for the most part it would make me feel isolated, watched, and like something was going to happen. Sometimes, however, I will say I'd go down and feel normal about it.

One particular day that made me truly believe and give in to the idea that the place may have been haunted was not one of those sometimes. I had denied it for the most part and when the house came up in conversation I would only say it could be creepy but it was old and leave it at that. I'd talk to my neighbor Nicole sometimes but not in great detail as she experienced similar things herself. On this particular day my friend Ashley had been over. It was late in the day but not close enough to be called evening. I remember clear as day, I was doing laundry I was on the second load and she was telling me about some of the girls in her class. It was your generic middle school drama - who likes who. It was the summer before I went into high school.

I had to switch over the laundry and as I went down she chose to follow me and sat towards the bottom of the stair so that while I was facing the washer I could look forward and to the left and see her. Forward and to my right was the stairs leading out of the basement directly outside and to the left of that stair was the creepy old pantry room. I liked to keep an eye on that door because sometimes I felt like someone was watching me from right there. I also kept an eye straight to my left all the way to the back of the basement it was always very dark and you couldn't see clearly, I hated the idea of something sneaking up on me from there.

She sat down and I started in with the laundry I was just about done and ready to head back up when I heard her take a sharp breath. I tossed the last fistful of clothes into the dryer and looked up just in time to watch her scream and run up the stairs. I didn't feel anything particularly off setting in that moment and when I looked around the room I didn't see anything so I assumed it was a spider and closed the washer before turning to the dryer. That's when the hair on the back of my neck stood on end and I felt the urge to run. I kicked the door shut with my foot, hit the 'start' button hard and fast, turned and got myself up the stairs.

When I got there Ashley locked the door behind me and started apologizing over and over again. I just asked for what, of course I was confused. She finally calmed down enough and said she saw a tall person, she would have said a man but it was just a shadow. It wasn't something solid but at the same time it was there and it was coming up behind me. Of course I realized why she was sorry but I was way too shocked to really say anything about that because I was astonished. I hadn't told Ashley any details about what I had been seeing from time to time. I had never seen it dead on like she described but what she talked about was what I had noticed as well in the brief moments I had seen it.

I went to my sister after this for more details and finally told her everything. When I did she didn't seem anywhere near as shocked as I thought she should. She told me she knew what I was talking about and she felt it too (which I knew she did) but she also heard whispering (which of course I also knew she did). And after she'd finally accepted what glimpses she'd seen and what she heard she SAW things. She said she was sure there was a little girl in that house. She said she thought there was a man, and she felt like there was a woman. She said she didn't really know what was in the basement and she didn't like it.

About a year and a half before we moved out of that apartment, my Dad had an experience.

He woke up feeling like he was being watched and saw a woman standing at the end of his bed. He thought maybe he was still slightly asleep and was seeing things so he said he closed his eyes for a minute and stretched out to wake up then looked again but she was still there. He realized then she was there but she wasn't, she didn't look right. She was dressed in a white dress but it didn't look right either. He said at that point his heart jumped into his throat. She turned calmly and pointed at corner that joined his room to my sisters and mine as well as the neighbor's living room. Like she wanted him to see something but Dad was so startled he screamed and grabbed my mother to wake her up. She of course woke up, and so did the rest of us, but she didn't see anything.

The rest of the occurrences I can't really say for sure if they were. I would wake up like something was touching me, or trying to pull me up and I would startle awake, but I can't say for sure if it's anything, because I was asleep and though I feel startled and disoriented and sure of what I think I felt when I wake up I don't -see- anything and the fact remains I like to be a skeptic before a believe and I can't say it wasn't part of a dream that I just don't remember.

I miss the memories, but I wasn't completely sad to move out. I slept better once we did. I've moved again since then and things are still nice and calm where I am. It was only that one apartment so far that I've had such a thing happen to me. I have felt that same sort of 'I'm being watched' feeling in other places but no experiences that were as extensive or definitive.

Of course I knew what I experienced but I can't prove any of it to anyone that wasn't there. I'm open to hearing anyone's thoughts that think they can rationalize what I experienced. If anyone has seen anything or experienced anything like this please comment. I would love to hear about it.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MyChaoticPeace, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MyChaoticPeace (1 stories) (108 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
Brandon-

Yeah I'm glad I turned tail too... It was a pretty intense feeling. I wish I had been a little older so I could make better sense of everything as it was happening.
BrandonCR (5 stories) (64 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-31)
Wow, Yeah That sounds like a Shadow man to me, many times when someone sees a shadow man it isn't too long until something terrible happens. It's good you ran from the shadow man as apposed to trying to confront it.
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
Poor you, I wish you luck in your hunt. I found out that the land where my house sits is right between where two Canadian Pacific Rail stations had been. I can't find out anything else online, like if there were ever any collisions, so I'll have to go to a library and hunt down the information I want. Ugh. All this effort just to find out who Fred may be, lol.

And it burned down? Did they ever find a cause? Did everyone make it out, or did the tenant die?
MyChaoticPeace (1 stories) (108 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
Pen- Trying to get what I can but I keep getting the run around "Oh you call there" "Oh no you dont' call here you call them" it's frustrating, but I'm trying.

BrandonCR- I can't accurately describe just how it felt sometimes it was so strong before I really knew what I was doing I was running away with my heart pounding in my throat. The house burned rather suddenly just three weeks after we moved out. The new tenant had only been there a couple days. Half my old apartment went.

I remember reading about it and just getting a chill. They fixed it back up and a friend of mine moved in. She didn't stick around long, I don't know who lives there now. If whatever was in the basement had just left me alone I wouldn't have minded the other three.
BrandonCR (5 stories) (64 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
Interesting accounts, I didn't think of researching the history of Buildings, I think I will do that now, with at least 2 buildings. Shadow men are often thought to be evil, so that may be the reason you had such horrible feelings in his presence.
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-26)
Oh yikes... I hope that nothing truly bad happened there. But with a hundred years of history... You never know.

Keep us posted - I'm going to need to know the outcome of this!
MyChaoticPeace (1 stories) (108 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-22)
Finally got through to a couple of the Gov departments for the City of Rochester, where this apartment is located. I got the MAP and LOT numbers for the building so I can go to the Registry of Deeds dept. And look into ownership of the building. That should help me narrow my search for articles in the papers and such; I'll be able to look for particular names. Hopefully, if I can get a hold of someone in the code enforcement office, I can find out when they got a permit for the construction involved to make it into an apartment building. I at least know now it was built in 1906 at least 20 years before refrigerators saw wide spread use. So I know that room would have been used at least pretty commonly for more then 2 decades, and more if the owner around that time couldn't afford on. Fridges were more expensive then cars at the time. 😐
MyChaoticPeace (1 stories) (108 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-22)
Darkness-

What the lady was pointing to has bothered me for a long time. The only thing in the general direction she pointed in was a booted down computer my bed on the other side of the wall and or my neighbors living room.

I'm working on getting the properties history, I was never the type to investigate this sort of thing though so I'm learning as I go.
MyChaoticPeace (1 stories) (108 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-22)
Shadead -

I wouldn't be as startled now as I had been then as I'm older now. I'm 21 and a bit more open minded and much harder to freak out 😉 but at the time I found it very uncool 😢

I think you're right, the stuff upstairs didn't mean me any harm. I would be surprised if the car playing on it's own was the little girl my Sister talked about. Maybe wanting to play too? But the thing down stairs made me feel like horrible. I think when I was in my room and I felt like I needed to be elsewhere that maybe it had something to do with it. Cause like I said the other stuff didn't make me feel threatened or like I needed to run. You know? I wish I knew what it was.
MyChaoticPeace (1 stories) (108 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-22)
zzsgranny-

The ground was raised up a little, so you had to step up to get in, and it was cement. I looked like someone had started to cement the basement a long time before but stopped midway through. So one side was completely done and the other was some cement, part wood (which I found odd, who uses wood in a basement 😕) and a small section that was just dirt and old stone it looked like.

I'm kind of surprised by how many of the smaller details I remember considering it was a decade ago. Guess it goes to show you how much of an impression that basement made on me.

It kind of resembled mush by the time we found it, but some was reddish in color. I would say at least a couple looked kind of like jams but I can't be sure. The jars were really dirty and we didn't mess with them to much after we first found them, just threw them away.

That would make sense but the one thing in the basement felt so different from the stuff upstairs. There was a distinctive difference between the feel they... It... Gave off and the it in the basement.

What my sister thought was the little girl just freaked me out but in the normal, ghost encounters child sort of deal. When in the living room my sister was sure my 'being watched' feeling was from what she believed was a male adult that liked to hover around the kitchen to living room doorway. That was really creepy too but not really threatening. It was only on odd occasions in my bedroom and most of the time in the basement I ever felt like I needed to get out.

I don't know if I ever encountered the woman in any way but Mary said if I did it would have felt pretty much the same as the girl, creepy but not threatening.

I still get the feelings sometimes of being watched in that same way I felt in that apartment but nothings happened like it happened there so I'm not sure what to think of it. 😕
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-22)
MyChaoticPeace: I liked this story, very interesting! I wonder what the lady was trying to show your dad? Maybe something that would shed some light on why you were experiencing all this phenomena. As Granny mentioned it was more then likely the previous tenants, is there any chance of finding out about the history of the home and land etc?.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
Shadead (91 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-21)
Thats so freaking cool I want me a haunted pantry that is creepy yes but I mean they didn't seem to mean you harm and could have just wanted their cans back but wow I have to get me one of those. 😁

~Shadead.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-21)
MCP: Great story!...I know what you mean about the big old homes cut into several apartments... There were a lot of them where I grew up, and I've lived in a couple... I have a question about the pantry: did it have a dirt floor, or was it finished?...My Grandma used to have a room like that in her basement, and she indeed used it as a storage space for the fruits and such that she canned during the summer... It was always cool no matter what the weather, I guess that's what made it an ideal place to store canned stuff and root vegetables...

I think you may have encountered the previous tennents... You may not have felt them all the time down there, as maybe they were in other parts of the house at the time, spooking your neighbors! LOL 😆...

When you cleaned the pantry, did you try to figure out exactly what was in the jars?...Was anything descernable?...No relevance, just my sick curiousity 😆...

Again, great story, and thanks for posting!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: