You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Our Apartment

Real Ghost Stories

Our Apartment

 

When I was 15 years old, I experienced this and told anyone who was within five feet of me. Some people laughed it off as fatigue due to my extremely busy lifestyle; I was a gymnast, a dancer, and my life was filled with travel and sleep-away camp. Other people who did believe me were afraid to come over my home after that or just avoided me. I know this is true and have spoken to a Priest and his advice did stop it although it took one week.

My adopted mother was from the U.K and wasn't a churchgoer. I at that time in my life was approached by many different people from lots of religions and an actual cult group that I actually wanted to join. My mother forbade me to join it because she told me that nothing good would come out of it for me. So, I avoided all of it but clung to my religion by birth, Catholic.

One night I went to bed and nothing unusual happened that day so I don't know why this happened to me. My twin captain's bed is against the back wall with a window next to it and the radiator. I lie in my bed and felt an incredibly cold chill down my back. It lingered as if a cold body was lying in the bed with me. I knew the window was closed tight and felt afraid. I tried to get out of bed but I was frozen. At some point, I managed to get out and turned to look at my bed and the covers were still bubbled like a body was in the bed. I darted to the light switch by the door and turning it on I turned around to stare at my bed. The covers dropped and it was gone. I told my mother and of course she didn't believe it.

After this happened, a few days later I was in my mother's bedroom watching television. I sat on her desk chair and to my left was her platform bed so you could see underneath it. While I was watching my program, I noticed a swirling effect under the bed. As I stared at it, it grew bigger swirling around as a black hole under the bed. I jumped off the chair and watched it not being able to scream. None of her furniture fell into the black hole. I left her room and was terrified about these events.

The last thing that happened to me that week afterward was I woke up in the middle of the night with my mother standing over me with a blank face. She was just standing there like something else was inside her. Her eyes weren't there. I calmly told her to leave so I could sleep and slowly she turned and walked out of the room.

Freaking out and knowing in my heart that something was evil in my apartment, I blocked my bedroom door so she couldn't come back in and slept on the floor away from the window. I went to the Catholic church the next day and in the confession booth, told him I needed help. I was given Holy Water in a bottle, a bible with passages circled, and a small wooden rosary. I was only 15, but I had to do this. I went around the apartment and did what he told me to do, and the worst place was my mother's bedroom. It felt like a resistance was coming from her room. I felt nauseous but kept throwing holy water in her room. After a few days of this, I still bolted past her room with fear. It never happened again but whenever I walked past her room over the years some days that fear welled up in me and I ran past her room afraid I would be pulled inside.

I don't know why some days it made me feel like that but it was real. It happened to me and since then I have experienced more paranormal events that have made me question why me. They are always different events, and in different homes, I've bought. I'm grateful that none of these events rehashed themselves when my children and I visited my mother. Thanks for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Katie212, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+7
4 years ago (2020-04-17)
When someone overreacts and closes their account it makes me smile because, most times, their true colours are showing, I believe.

Biblio, if you take the emotion out of the equation and read this mess back I'm sure you'll find you said nothing any rational mind would find fault with.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+7
4 years ago (2020-04-17)
Wow, things have certainly gotten a bit out of hand and, for the life of me, I just can't see how the wheels came off the wagon. Biblio's comment was in no way incendiary but their reception was no less fiery. I have re-read both the story and the comments to see if I can find a reason behind the OP's highly defensive remarks. Perhaps, Biblio, you inadvertently touched on something triggering - motherhood and magic seem to be the loci. Perhaps, completely unrelated to anything paranormal, the OP harbors some insecurities about their parenting track record (not that I am implying that these are fears based in reality - the human mind can conspire to make its master insecure about absolutely anything without need of factual foundation). Being Catholic, it is not a stretch to assume that the concept of magic has had much negativity heaped upon it so it is perhaps less surprising that this wound up being somewhat of a sensitive subject.

Katie, if you do return, know that no one here intentionally leveled offense at you - that isn't what this community is about. Our comments tend to be probing but rational and well intended - we truly want to help folks figure out more about what they have gone through and sometimes that means asking difficult questions. We are, of course, handicapped by the veil of print - what is spoken aloud face to face has the advantages of inflection, tone and expression but print is stripped of all such rudders leaving it vulnerable to the caprices of the environment into which it is received and read. I get it, you don't know us but be assured, we aren't here to mock contributors who come in good faith to share stories that aren't always easy to tell.

When it comes to magic, my opinion may differ from the rest. I have a community of friends who are all involved in magic and/or Wicca and/or witchcraft to some degree from dabblers to proficients. Most of them have children and all are good parents. I'm not saying the OP ever involved herself in magic with or without the presence of her children. What I am saying is that, I have seen no evidence that a desire for evil-doing is a guaranteed side-effect of any degree of involvement in magic or that involvement in such things is indicative of poor parenting- quite the contrary, in fact!

Right now the only thing shaking my confidence in the veracity of this account is the OP's reactions to questioning and subsequent departure - I do hope she sees fit to reconsider and return for there is far more to this tale than has been discussed. I too am quite curious about the vortex phenomenon.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-16)
Biblio,

I have read your comment four times and I do not understand Katie's reaction. Whenever I read comments, I try to read them in the "voice" of one of my grandparents - and not in the voice of my ex husband. It makes a difference.

I thought you were being helpful.

- Maria
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-16)
Good gracious! Katie, I am very, very sorry you perceived by commentary as judgmental! 😲

I apologize for seeming intolerant or unkind in any way. My intention was to provide some insight into your past experience as a teen and to consider some of your more-recent activities as included in your responses to other YGS members.

I had no intention to upset anyone, least of all Katie. I'm really saddened that she seems to have shut down her YGS account because of what I wrote with good intentions.
😢
-Biblio.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-04-16)
Katie,

I think that Caz was referring to what you said in the comment section:

"I also feel like if I were to move forward and study more magic and push my protection rituals further that I may go into a place that I shouldn't, but a part of me kind of wants to."

I don't think that Caz was trying to personally judge you by your use of the word "magic".

I understand that you would rather have us speak to the woman you are now - and not to the 15 year old from the past. I certainly don't ever want to have to confront my 15 year old self again... She was a mixed bag, to put it politely.

The comments that referenced your children were only made because we had no way of knowing that your children were living out on their own. Please forgive people for jumping to conclusions with your use of the word "magic". There are so many ways that the word can be interpreted. You are not in the wrong place.

Also, the way you describe the love you have for your adoptive mother warms my heart. May her memory live forever.

I hope you reactivate your account. I am sad that you felt attacked.

- Maria
Katie212 (guest)
+1
4 years ago (2020-04-16)
My comments to others events do not have anything to do with my separate events that I tell on this website.

I am seeing people on here take pieces of what I say to others and bunch it together to try to make a judgemental case against me, and I am an Adult now, so when I tell of an event that I experienced I add the age I was and whatever I do with my life now as an Adult is my choice.

Some people are quickly skimming my story and my comments to others and then jumping to conclusions and feeling the need to tell me off because they do not approve of my choices

This is a website to tell of paranormal events that occurred not therapy and not for people who insist on judging people incorrectly if an event is lacking details, it is not fake it is to the person's best ability to tell it as best they can without criticism. And definitely not for me as I would never put my kids in danger, and didn't have kids when I was 15.
VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-16)
No, Katie, your story and timeline were perfectly clear, and very well expressed. I think maybe some people just misread the chronology of when this happened. You are definitely not on the wrong site. I was very intrigued by your story, to the point of hoping you will share more of your experiences. Xoxo
Katie212 (guest)
-2
4 years ago (2020-04-16)
Caz-

Where in my story about the Apartment do you see anything about magic?

I was 15 and obviously my comments to others and my being an adult now is clashing with my 15 year old story that people are bashing me about magic.

I'm obviously on the wrong site
Katie212 (guest)
 
4 years ago (2020-04-16)
Biblio-

If you read the story correctly it happened when I was 15 years old. So, when I recently found this website now being 46 years old, my children have already grown up and moved out being in their 20's now. So, learning about spells, rituals, magick, etc now doesn't have anything to do with my "Children", and when I would visit my mum with my then children I wasn't learning about spells, rituals, magick, etc I was just relieved that those events never happened again as I had long moved out and gotten married while my mum remained living in NYC.

I happen to be a great mother and know very well how to protect my children, being a reputable mother in the entire neighborhood where I lived and entrusted with other families' children. Thank you for your concern.

I told about my event to the best of my ability per the truth, and since this is a website on real stories, I cannot make up anything that would be further from the truth. If my story lacks something for you, there are others on this site you can go to. I cannot remember what color mum's eyes were, they weren't there, and I was 15!

I find your comments inappropriate to educate me on my personal life with my children, and judgemental. It is an event that happened, per rules you either like it or not and move on.

Since I did what the Priest said to do, it never happened again. So, I never needed to do anything more.

And you are connecting two separate events and using my words against me when you clearly didn't read the age difference in the stories.
Caz (342 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-04-16)
Oh...well said Biblio, I was hoping you'd come along! I was quite worried when Katie mentioned magic. Not that I know much about it, but I've always felt if someone asks for a boon and it's granted, there may well be a hefty price to pay in the afterlife. I'm probably totally wrong here, but 'NAH'...I'd never risk it!
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-16)
Greetings, Katie212, and welcome.

I've been mulling over your experience for the last 4 days or so. There are parts of the narrative that don't make sense to me; I believe you experienced these phenomena, but they've not all behaved in a conventional manner.

First, I commend you on seeking out a priest and following through on his instructions. I believe that the reason the phenomenon in your mother's room resisted your efforts was that you were dealing with an energy vortex. A spiritual vortex can be created under various conditions (some positive, some negative), and tends to be a source of power that can be used by energetic spirits. A vortex is *not* a gateway or portal, though they may occur in proximity to each other. [Had it been a portal, small objects may have gone missing, but you stated that "None of her furniture fell into the black hole" suggesting it was concentrated energy, not an opening.]

A vortex is like a swirl of water in a fast-flowing river, drawing things in & hurling them along faster than before. It would attract the attention of spirits --in your case, negative spirits-- and give them an energetic boost. I suspect this is what happened to your mum when she was "sleepwalking" under the control of some other entity. [What did you mean by, "Her eyes weren't there"? They'd rolled up in their sockets? Her eyes were closed? There were black spaces visible where her eyes should have been?]

I seldom get "preachy" here on YGS because of my agnosticism, but I'm going to juxtapose two of your own sentences against each other so you can see the danger: 1) " I'm grateful that none of these events rehashed themselves when my children and I visited my mother" and 2) "if I were to move forward and study more magic and push my protection rituals further that I may go into a place that I shouldn't, but a part of me kind of wants to." Protection rituals and cleansings are positive steps to take, and the study of magic is not inherently bad or evil; there are evil *options* for practice, but you're performing protective rituals which are "good." The temptation to power & to evil may always be there for you (remember the temptation of the cult's teachings), but I cannot stress enough the fact that *you have children!* Your job, as a mother, is to protect your kids until they've moved out of your home. Experimenting with pushing the boundaries of what you know & what you can do can wait a few years until you can be sure you're not attracting the attention of powerful entities who may terrify your kids.

Now, Rookdygin is a member of long-standing who is both a Christian minister & a Magical practitioner. He has a much-supported cleansing ritual on his homepage (www.yourghoststories.com/user-profile.php?user=8155), beginning at the line "Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)." This is a methodology for protecting your family without inviting potentially-harmful energies/entities into your home.

I strongly suggest that you are cautious in your dealings with the temptation for magic usage. Even if you tell yourself that "this won't be bad," or "just a little bit," these rationalizations are the start to a slippery slope that could endanger your children. Take care & be vigilant.

Best,
Biblio.
Katie212 (guest)
+6
4 years ago (2020-04-14)
Alina5 and Silverthane61,

Hello to both of you and thank you for your input. I truly saw the hole growing bigger and I never saw it again, but I am constantly being bothered by cold touches and someone watching me. I don't have a vivd imagination, I truly believe in all things, but I sometimes wonder is there something wrong with me? What am I to do? I also feel like if I were to move forward and study more magic and push my protection rituals further that I may go into a place that I shouldn't, but a part of me kind of wants to. I want to understand what is happening to me, and why I have contact with different spirits, events, every where we move something new happens. I am tired of it and do not want to get into trouble.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-14)
Wow! Just...wow! I am also a "cradle-catholic', but I have never had to cleanse a room. You have cleansed a home - or rather, your faith has cleansed the home. I really want to believe that, if not for the possibility that I may have to do the same in the future. Good post!
Alina5 (3 stories) (136 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-12)
Hello Katie212,

Hope you're doing well. It was certainly not at all pleasent to find yourself in the midst of such disturbing paranormal sessions at a tender age. I can't imagine the trauma this experience have prepatuated in your mind.

"As I stared at it, it grew bigger as a black hole under the bed"

This is the first time I've came across the existence of such a thing. This quite sparked an interest in me to learn more.

However, these words of yours have stood out the most to me.

"It happened to me and since then I have experienced more paranormal events that made me question "why me"

Certainly this question had striked every single person who had an unpleasant experience with the paranormal. It hits straight at home.

I enjoyed reading your story. Thanks for sharing.

Peace
Katie212 (guest)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-12)
Hi VeronicaMarie - My mum adopted me and I learned later on about her past and the things she went through, but I didn't tell her because she isn't Catholic and didn't believe in any religion. Perhaps it was triggered by her. I did mention her "sleep walking " in my room, she didn't recall it.

Hi Lady-Glow - Sorry about my lack of information. This was a prewar apartment in NYC, and we hadn't lived there long before this started. I agree with you about my puberty perhaps triggering it, and the different religious people I met and that I too harboured anger for being adopted so, I think I may have been an open invitation for something to latch on. I don't know.

I loved her very much and am truly grateful that she took me in, and miss her dearly as she has passed on.

Thank you for your input have a pleasant evening.
VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-12)
Hi, Katie...

Did you ever tell your mother about her showing up in your room, and about what happened in her room that night you were watching TV? I'm wondering if something was going on with her at that time, that you were picking up on. Very intriguing story.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-11)
Welcome to YGS.

Katie.
Those were some unnerving experiences. Do you remember if a family member or acquaintance passed away around that time and could have been trying to get your attention?

Based on the little information in your narrative, it is my opinion that you are sensitive to paranormal presences, perhaps this ability got triggered during puberty and that's why you regularly experience the supernatural. Or, perhaps, you frequently find yourself at the wrong place at the wrong time.

But you are a strong person and your faith helped to put an end to the activity at your place. Perhaps you should cleanse or bless any new place before you move in and perform some protective ritual regularly to keep any possible negative energies away.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: