You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Not Your Ordinary Nap

Real Ghost Stories

Not Your Ordinary Nap

 

I'm fourteen years old, but I'm not an immature like most other fourteen year olds. I have a very easy going life, I'm very happy; I have a wonderful family, and amazing friends. Recently, I have joined this website and I have read multiple stories of sleep paralysis, demons tormenting people while they sleep, and the nice angel-like ghost that protect and watch over people while they sleep.

I had no knowledge of what this "sleep paralysis" was so I took it upon myself to find out what it was, so I turned to Google.

I'm not going to go into total detail about what I learned from my research. What really caught my eye that that sleep paralysis usually only happens to people that are overly stressed, have abnormal sleeping patterns, people that sleep in awkward positions such as up-right, or people that have sudden emotion or life changes. Since my life is mostly great, I never thought anything like that could happen to me.

Now I kind of think differently since it possibly happened.

I was taking a small nap while I was waiting on my friend to call me back. Before I fell asleep I was home alone, but about the time I was almost completely asleep, I heard a door in the back of the house close and heard footsteps coming towards me. Then it felt like someone was standing beside me and watching me. So I tried to open my eyes but by the time I had my eyes half open, I was frozen. Paralyzed. I couldn't move any part of my body. I was really scared so naturally, I wanted to scream out for help. Realizing that I couldn't talk, I panicked more. I suddenly felt a strong pressure that seems to have rapidly increased on my chest, as if someone was sitting on me. I couldn't breathe. It lasted for about two minutes then it was over. Everything was normal, as if nothing happened. Except for the fact that I was breathing rather heavily. Understand that when I woke up, I was still home alone.

I think it was sleep paralysis, but I understand that it's very possible to be something more sinister.

PLEASE tell me what you think. I need help deciding if this is something normal or if I have a real problem that I'm dealing with.

Thank you for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, truth_awaiting, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
Considering you are a happy teen, maybe those hormones are manifesting themselves in a different way. Hormones do crazy things.
Has there been anything else odd going at at home that could be related to your haunting experience? Anything that might not have seemed so strange at the moment, but had no explanation?
Aya-Love-Carrots (150 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
JamesRobiscoe - nice explanation 😊

Truth_Awaiting - I haven't had sleep paralysis, so I go for the scientific reasoning... 😁 do take care!

-AYA > Chasing Pavements!
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
truth awaiting--Your experience does sound like classic sleep paralysis. When the mind hits panic mode (during whatever deep-seated fears it's trying to successfully face and overcome), all sorts of autonomic responses occur in the body. Not the least of which is restriction of blood vessels, which make the lungs work harder the to breathe, which causes a pressure sensation in the chest.
All the pre-dispositions you list are generally accepted by researchers, and though you may not feel outwardly stressed, the mind settles scores all on its own.
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-27)
What I've always wondered is why people claim sleep paralysis is physical or your body just hasn't completely woken up with you mind; then why the pressure on the chest? I can move when I sleep & why the shadows & creepy sh*t as well? I think maybe there are some purely physical cases. But I'm not convinced all of them are. Mine aren't. So are you telling me that you researched this just out of curiosity & then it happened to you? Or did you look it up because of this incident? I can analyse this better if you let me know that 😁 Bless you & yours. MCL.
~Rev. Lotus~

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: