You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Soldier's Visits

Real Ghost Stories

A Soldier's Visits

 

I had a couple of incidents in Iraq. On my first tour, while at Camp Liberty, I was awakened by the sound of my father's voice screaming at me to get up. "GET THE F#ck UP!" I was fully awake and shaking from his scream, when I found myself standing in the middle of my hootch. A few seconds later, I heard the sound of the mortar round exiting the tube, and dropped to the floor. The mortar barrage came in, but neither me nor my soldiers were hurt. My father had been dead for nine years at that point, but had visited me in my dreams many times. He did have a foul mouth, but usually saved the "F-word" for special occasions. I think this one qualified.

On my second tour in Iraq, again on Camp Liberty. There were many times I picked up "feelings" as I went to different places around the camp. Liberty is on the grounds of Saddam's hunting grounds and the place of many atrocities. His son's had their own "cabins" which they did as they pleased. I'm also sure that many of my brothers and sisters in arms frequent the camp they came from.

It happened on one of the few nights I was actually going to get some real sleep. In the middle of the night, I awoke to the sound of my door opening. I reached for my pistol and as I turned and saw a soldier in full battle rattle (full vest, helmet and rifle for the civilian readers) enter my trailer. Oblivious to me he put his rifle down and sat on the bed. I felt the bed settle under his weight. I pulled my pistol free of my holster and jumped up. He disappeared in front of me as I brought the weapon around on him. I was so shaken; I didn't sleep the rest of the night and shortly returned to work. I was surprised I had not wet my pants.

There were a few other nights I had "feelings", which prevented me from sleeping, but none as vivid as that night. I pray for the souls of those that wander in that far away place. May God bring them to the peace through those that love and miss them.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RSeal, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ghosthunter9876 (67 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-14)
God always looks after souls who sacrificed their own mortal bodies to save somebody else.
Barbie1637 (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-22)
It is heart breaking to me to think about the countless men and women who have lost their life over there and to think that some of their spirits are still stuck there. My son is a Marine and I am proud of him and mad at him, because of my shellfish mother worrie...
camswidow (1 stories) (15 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
all I can say is wow, and thank you. And my name should explain more as to the thank you =)
RSeal (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-28)
Thanks, Smokey. Good info. I don't know if I could have told him he was dead. I got the feeling he was a residual.

To answer your question about why draw my sidearm. While I was there, we had a couple of local nationals get frisky. A couple of third world nationals get out of hand and a couple of incidents with broken soldiers (the soldier who shot up the mental health facility). I didn't share a hootch the last trip, so someone coming in through a locked door would be bad news...
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-28)
I really have only one question about this story: why draw your side arm? I had several occassions where Joes wondered into my squad bay after 15 hours of duty mistaking it for their own, even though our buildings were numbered.

I'd be just as tripped out and freaked out as you. Fortunately we were in a "quiet" area of Iraq.

All I can suggest is never forget your fallen comrades, if you follow any particular religion, offer a rite of passage to them if you experience that again. If you're not the religious type, try talking to them. I wouldn't suggest outright telling them "hey Soldier, you're dead" because you don't know how the spirit may react. It would be like someone telling you you're dead.
RSeal (1 stories) (14 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-06)
Yes, Devious, that was an "OH Crap moment". The experiences with my father have never scared me. I think the one with the soldier scared me because my room door had been locked. Unannounced visitors entering rooms during the night was highly unexpected and potentially dangerous. When he disappeared, I was spooked (first time I've seen this), but would've loved to have experienced it again. I'm home now and hopefully he is too. I agree with the post that recommended this was residual.

Troy, depending on location, rank and availability, some of us got rooms. Mine on Camp Liberty were about 10x12. Once I even had a bathroom with shower that worked most of the time. Yea... THAT was good living. Much better accomodations than when I was working with the Marines in Fallujah and Mahmudiyah (crowded tents or burned out buildings...). The only time I got "the jitters" was in Fallujah when I walked up on a young Marine guarding a truck in the fog. I startled him so bad, he nearly bayonneted me. THAT was another "Oh Crap" moment. Taught me a lesson... Make sure Marines see you when you're looking for the porta-potty on a foggy morning. 😲 I'll never forget that kid's face. I'm glad I couldn't see mine... I almost didn't need the porta-potty anymore. Thanks for your service.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-08-26)
Thank you for sharing your experiences! I really enjoyed reading about them. I can only imagine how shocking it was to see that soldier come in and sit down like that. It was probably one of those "oh crap, what do I do?" moments.

You're really lucky that your father reached out to you from the other side to warn you of what was to come... It sounds like he cares for you very much.

Thank you for your service.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
-3
14 years ago (2010-08-26)
You guys have rooms in Iraq? When I was in the Marines we had barracks. Guess we were lucky. I don't thing anything paranormal happened here. Just army jitters.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
RSeal: Ain't dads great?...What an amazing experience 😊...Looking forward to hearing more about those with your Dad...

I agree with BadJuuJuu about the soldier being a residual... Sometimes residuals appear on certain anniversaries... I don't know how long you stayed in this particular hooch (😆 sounds funny coming from a civilian!) but he probably appeared annually...

Thank you for this wonderful story... Quite refreshing... And thank you for your service...
roseinbloom (4 stories) (117 posts)
+3
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
God bless you and all the armed forces working to provide for our safety here in this world. You are lucky to have your father still involed in your well-being and safety, he must truly love you. As for the fallen soldier you saw, I feel he does not realize he has passed and needs to be guided to the "light". Could be you were chosen to help in this task, since he showed himself to you. If it should happen again, you should address him and maybe tell him he needs to move on towards the light. Maybe tell him he's done his duty and it is now time for him to "rest" and go with all his loved ones who wait for him "on the other side". Rseal, thank you so much for your service and may you stay safe and blessed. ❤ 😊
moonamiga (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
I first wanted to thank you for your service, and secondly wow, Its always nice to have a guardian angel. I think this is what your dad is for you now. He is still there and that is amazing 😁 ❤ God Bless and I agree this soldier was probably lost not knowing he is dead
Noelle11 (2 stories) (13 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
I liked you story, it meant a lot to me. I have been visited by an old vetran and found the expirience quite amazing, and part of it sounds a lot like yours. Its really sad and facinating at the same time.
Thank you for the story.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+3
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
Rseal, I would also like to whole heartedly Thank You for your service. I firmly believe your father warned you of what was about to happen and protected you and the soldiers from harm that night. I also pray for the spirit of the soldier you have seen as well as all of the fallen. God Bless ❤
trueckl (2 stories) (11 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
RSeal: I can't say thank you enough for your service to us and our Country. My prayers for you and your family. You are obviously very gifted and your father loves you very much to be protecting you in the ways that he does. God Bless.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+3
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
Firstly, thank you for your service. ❤
Your father coming to warn you was amazing. The love of a family is a beautiful thing.
I think the second event you described may have been a residual haunting. It sounds as if the soldier didn't acknowledge you, which is typical of a residual. A residual haunting doesn't have a true ghost, rather an image or sound stuck in time. The image of the event is there, but the awareness of the people involved are elsewhere.
Very moving story.
Blessings ❤
isis80 (3 stories) (51 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
I haven't posted in a while but this story touched me. I believe that what you wrote is very true (a) your father was looking out for you and (b) that the soldier probably doesn't even know that he's dead.

This story touched me... Thank you for sharing it.
Walrek (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
A fallen brother in arms who probably doesn't know he's dead. The deaths and trama of battle have left many areas haunted by the souls of those that died. He may have died somewhere in the camp and is waiting to go home.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: