You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Soldier In The Attic

Real Ghost Stories

The Soldier In The Attic

 

This was the first time I've seen a ghost. It was a a sunny day during the summer of 2006 or 2007, I don't remember which, but me and my family moved to Springfield, MO from Sacramento, CA. We moved into this house owned by my uncle. This was an old house in a pretty bad neighborhood. I've heard my cousins, who were fixing the house at the time, tell me that they've been seeing things in the house like floating heads. I didn't care for it because it wasn't me who saw it so I just let it run with my imagination, but it wasn't long before the spirit started to play with me.

We just got there for 2 nights and my cousins were still staying with us to fix the house, keep in mind they only moved to Missouri a month before us. They're were 4 rooms upstairs and the room I was in was the room with a door that leads to the attic, unfortunately it had 2 locks on it. We've tried to open it before, but the only way it opened was if we uses a crowbar or something. Everyone was down stairs and I was in the upstairs bedroom playing my new WWF game on the Xbox. They told me to go down stairs and eat. So I did. I ate everything so fast, I finished before anyone else. I ran upstairs and to my surprise the attic door was open, not all the way but just a crack. I thought to myself, "No ones been up here since I went down stairs," then all the stories of the things my cousins have been seeing ran through my head. It didn't help that I had a vivid imagination. I ran in and closed it and locked it, then I ran down stairs to wait for my brothers and cousins to finish eating and keep me company in the room. I thought this was the end but it was just the beginning.

So now a few months have passed and my cousins moved out and found another home in the country roads in Buffalo, MO. I've moved into the room across the room. Back then I was a bit of a loner, I didn't ever want to leave the house, not to mention this was my first room to myself since...ever. Back to the story. It was a sunny morning, I don't remember if I was in school or not, but I woke up and for some reason I was cold not too cold just enough to keep the blanket on me. I was facing the wall across from my door. I looked over and my door was wide open, I don't know why, it might be my siblings that left it open when I was still sleeping. Just then I looked over outside my door and see it, my eyes were blurry, but I know I saw him. He was wearing a green army uniform, feet off the floor and looking straight into my room. I sat up and he disappeared. At first I thought it was my imagination but then a few months after that my little sister, who was in my room when I was gone, said that she saw an army man run across the front of my door.

I've never told her what I saw, how could she and I be seeing the same thing? Months later, the roof became leaky. It was breaking apart and moldy. We told our dad and he, my brothers, my cousins, my uncle, and me started to go to the attic to fix it. The army man was far from my mind. But then my cousins found something that made all my experiences chillingly true. The found the folded uniform of a veteran and letters and forms of when he went to war in WW2. I couldn't believe it, I told everyone. My parents with another uncle prayed for the house and soon we moved out. Now its owned by a new owner and I got to say they fixed the house to where it just looks new and beautiful. You look at it and you just can't imagine you would ever see what I saw.

The end:)

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lokid, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-20)
He obviously loved his home. As Aussie mentioned your sister seeing the same man definitely in my opinion confirms that you both witnessed a ghost. Did any other unusual thing occur in the home? I wonder if the new owners have experinced anything.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-20)
Wow. How beautiful. Sounds like SOME soldier made it back home to the house he so loved.
Wado.
hlevreginask (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-20)
Wow! That is some story. Did the soldier appear solid to you when you saw him? Some sightings claim that ghosts can appear as real as a living and breathing person. I don't know which would be more scary for me. How did you feel? Were you scared or just puzzled when you saw him?
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-20)
The fact that you and your sister saw the same apparition makes this story a genuine spiritual sighting in my view... There is a little window of opportunity to see the realm around us, just has our spiritual conscious (sub conscious) sub sides from dream state to a fully conscious state... Sometimes our imagination too is caught in the cross fire causing other experiences that seem just as real... And about 40 percent of those stories sit in the archives here at YGS... Still they make interesting reading!... But the fact that your sister and others have reported odd things... Doors opening etc... Makes your experience a real one... Have you noticed the walls banging too?...thank you for sharing your story... I only recently saw a person (spirit) in uniform myself...

Daz 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: