You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Friend Who Sees Ghosts

Real Ghost Stories

Friend Who Sees Ghosts

 

The events from this story took place while I was in the latter half of 3rd grade; I was 9 years old at the time. I had a friend (who I will call John for the sake of this story) who I hung out with every day at school during lunch and recess, as well as after school a couple times per week. We became close enough friends between sometime in 2nd grade and 3rd grade that I would sleep over at his house and vice versa.

The story begins sometime during that Spring when John starting asking to look up strange words in the dictionary (words such as powerful, bothers, devil, etc.). At first I didn't think too much of it, but I was intrigued as to why he would want to look up words for no reason. His response was that these words had been appearing and disappearing in a book that he checked out from the Elementary School Library. So, being young, and... Well, a third grader, I halfway believe him, and I halfway didn't think much of it other than it seemed mysterious and I loved mysterious things (and still do).

I dug a little deeper and found out that the phrase "P.D. Bothers" and the words "The Powerful Devil Bothers" were in this book; I asked to see the words, and John had no objections. Sure enough, in several different places, the words were just as he described. What was strange about the writing was the ornate (if you want to call it that) italicized style to the hand-writing. It was certainly not John's hand writing, nor was it mine, nor was it writing that a 3rd grader could emulate.

So the week goes by and, at some point fairly close to when I first viewed the writing (within a few days to a week), John tells me that the writing had been disappearing from this book; I thought he was making this up. However, I decided to test this just to be sure. I remember where I was sitting in class (it was story time). I can remember I was in between a row of the old style desks (the ones where the desk had room underneath in a cubby for books, and the desk and chair are attached). I had the book in front of me and turned to one of the pages that had the writing on it (I cannot remember which phrase it was). I set the book on top of the desk to my left, memorized what page the writing was on, and counted to 20 and just stared at it. When I got to 20, I opened up the book... The writing, and all traces of it, had completely vanished! It was at this point that I stared to believe John and everything he said regarding the hand writing.

His story goes a lot deeper. He begins to slowly divulge to me that he sees "beings" I guess you could call them. Now, before the whole disappearing handwriting thing, I wouldn't have believed him. However, after witnessing that, I leaned towards believing his words. He began telling me about two different "beings/entities" he would see; he would see them on a daily basis. One was a glowing ball of light with a man's face on one side and a woman's face on the other side. The other was a huge, red demon that was approximately 7' tall with horns. Again, I would have thought he was crazy, but the handwriting thing proved at least something was going on.

The only other proof that I saw was something that John brought to school a couple weeks later. Turns out the book from the library with all the writing was about the Loch Ness Monster. Well, John came to school one day with a piece of paper that looked very aged, withered and worn. He showed me the paper and it was picture of the Loch Ness Monster... A picture that seemed to be very familiar. Turns out that picture was identical to one from the book (not traced). It was VERY well drawn; something neither of us could do. On the bottom of the page were the words "The Powerful Devil Bothers You." John said he found outside his house, by the bus stop, while waiting for his bus that morning.

I must say that both me and my brother felt an uneasiness while in his home, that something was off. I don't know if it was him, his family, the land, the home, or what, but something felt wrong while we were there. I lost contact with John after high school, and we rarely hung out in middle school. However, he still told me that he routinely saw demons/entities in middle school (it was a short, grey demon, if I remember correctly, that he was seeing in middle school). He grew sore and closed every time I would bring the subject up, and it seemed like the years of having these experiences wore on him; he was genuinely frightened when he would see these beings. He would say something like, "it's right there by that tree just staring at us." Of course, I'd look and see nothing.

Aside from this instance, I've never had paranormal experiences of my own where I actually saw something (with the exception of a door closing on its own right in front of me, in my old home).

Thanks for reading,

Paragon

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, paragon7, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
It seems that this friend of yours loves the attention he gets when he's making a big deal about these 'supposed' Powerful Devil Brothers. P.T. Barnum has been reincarnated.
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-06)
This is an interesting story and I hope for John's sake that he's grown out of these images. They sound very malicious if they resemble demons or the devil. The words 'the powerful devil bothers you' seems childish in nature, but vicious at the same time.
I'm a little skeptical about the writing in the book. It was handwritten, you say, within the book itself? As if someone had taken it and wrote in it? What kind of book was it? Was it a book specifically for young children? I know that my public school's library held a lot of books that were more for young adults and had few pictures and whatnot. Was the book about the paranormal (loch ness)?
I hope he didn't divulge in something that he shouldn't have. It's hard to say, especially when you're looking back at yourself at a very young age.
paragon7 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-05)
Mountaineer brings up a couple valuable points... Points that I've run through my head a hundred times since these things happened over 20 years ago. I was always a well grounded kid. I was raised Baptist/Christian, and was a bit of a "goody-two shoes type," thus the reason I was so shocked when I saw writing disappear before my eyes. I can say with certainty the "I know what I saw" response. However, I was only 9 years old. I also believe that if John were lying about seeing the entities, that he probably would have spilled the beans at some point, and probably very early on (if he were making everything up, then he would want to see the reaction when he "got me.").

Now, the door closing thing was truly freaky. I didn't mention much above in the story, but I'll describe it a little better now. I'm laying on my sister's bed (I didn't have my own cell phone yet, so I used the one in her room occasionally when she was away at college). My wife, girlfriend at the time, went to UGA, and used to talk to her on the phone late at night. I was talking to her about whatever and the door to the room, which was half way open, sounded at if something lightly touched it and pushed it closed. It moved maybe a foot and a half to two feet.

I got up, thinking that the chihuahua had hit it with his head... He wasn't around. I started playing with the door, and realized quickly that it would take a GOOD amount of wind to move it; it wasn't a loose door. I went downstairs to see if anyone was awake. Both my parents were asleep and the dog was locked in the laundry room; no one else was home. It was at that point that I realized that something supernatural had probably just occurred. It freaked me out for the rest of the night.
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-05)
Elementary all the way up through seventh grade me and my friends exchanged wild stories at the lunch table trying to impress each other. Making up stories and exaggerating real ones beyond proportion is a favorite childhood pastime of all children. Maybe this isn't what John was doing, but its a possibility. As for the writing in the book, I know that there is hardly a book in our school's library that doesn't have graffiti in it. And there are grades other than third in an elementary school. As for it appearing and disappearing, I don't have an explanation for that, other than that maybe you made a mistake and looked at the wrong page. Doors closing on their own can be caused by any number of natural occurrences; AC coming on, a breeze through an open window,
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-04)
Wow! What an interesting story paragon7. I do hope that John is alright now. My Husband sees Spirits on a regular basis, although he doesn't want to, so I can kind of relate to John on this one.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: