You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: I Think My Basement Is Haunted

Real Ghost Stories

I Think My Basement Is Haunted

 

Alright, here we go. I'm a 14 year old boy with a pretty normal life, except for some creepy stuff that has been going on the last couple of weeks. My imagination is not that good so I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining. The first time was around a month ago. It was just me and my dad in the house and I needed to get some stuff from the basement. There are stairs made of iron down to the basement and between every step there is a little gap down to the basement. I should also mention that I'm not afraid of the dark...

So my dad was watching TV in the living room which is fairly close to the basement, I turned on the lights about to go down. Halfway down the stairs I heard my dad's laugh, but in slightly darker tone. It was like he was right next to me, or underneath me, It was too hard to tell. I ran all I could up the stairs in fear. I went in to the living room sweating. There was my dad, asleep on the couch. I ran out, far away and came back an hour later when feeling safe again.

This has happened three times to me this month, the last time, I managed to convince myself that I was imagining things and that I was stupid for not wanting to go down there.

This is the first time I'm sharing this story with anyone. Mostly because I'm afraid that people are going to mock me for believing in ghosts and such things.

So the reason I'm sharing all of this is because I want it to come to an end. I'm up a lot of nights thinking of what could be down there and it's just making the situation worse. I have also read a lot online and that not helping either. Just making it worse.

What do you guys think this is? What can I do to make it stop? If it actually is demons, what do they want from me? Thanks.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, yourmomishot82, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

i_am_unknown (16 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-22)
The best way to do at this moment is to let go of those fears. You did mention you're not afraid of the dark then why are you thinking too much now.
blackasia7033 (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-10)
wow, I feel you... I wish too to understand this fear... But the truth is nobody really knows or can explain stuff like this... Maybe when you get older you will face that fear, but until then you be safe snd keep us posted... One thing, you are not alone...
Ibelieveheshere (2 stories) (68 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-10)
I Have a Feeling it's Poltergeist under the stair sort of like Closet Might be that or suggust what others Posters says.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-10)
You say it has happened three times this month. Was your dad asleep on the couch, or anywhere near the basement door for that matter, each time this occurred?
Also, the basement steps are iron, with gaps between each one. Are the basement walls made of brick or concrete? And was the door open each time?
Ask your mom, if you don't already know the answer to this question. Has your dad ever talked, laughed, etc., in his sleep? Think about that as a possibility for a moment. If he was laughing in his sleep, or laughing at something he was watching on television at the time, by the time the sound of his voice traveled to your ears it could have been distorted somewhat, making his voice have a deeper tone, and yes, an eery quality to it. If it sounded much deeper than normal, it could simply have been because of metal stairs, the walls, floor, etc., that gave it that quality.
Just thought I'd throw that in here, no need to keep the fear up, in my opinion. The fear will just grow. Try and think rationally about it, see if you can eliminate all other natural possibilities first. It is too easy to blame the paranormal for things like this. Because once you get caught up in that fear, it's hard to talk yourself down. Stay grounded.

Jav 😊
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-05-10)
Great suggestions all around. Another thing to consider, based on your age is a Poltergeist.

A Journal will help you to determine just what it may be... But the one thing it does not sound like is 'Demons'...so I wouldn't worry about that to much.

Respectfully,

Rook
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-09)
Queenzombie: Also, if you look at the heading of the story at the top of the page, you'll see little hearts beside the O/P's name on the left, and another on the right... If you click on those, the one on the left puts the author in your favorites list on your profile, the one on the right, the story... Makes it a little easier when you want to check back at a later date... 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-09)
Queenzombie - if you check your profile, you can see the last 20 comments you have made. Go to account, and then view profile. They'll be listed chronologically, most recent first.
Queenzombie (1 stories) (39 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-09)
Okay yourmomishot82 I don't mean to steal this page BUT I have a question for everyone established. Is there a way to check back on stories you have commented on? Like search?
themiss (16 stories) (23 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-09)
If I were you I'd try to gather information on your house to see if anything happened there or if it was built on something. Also in my opinion I don't think it was the tv that you heard like someone commented (I don't mean this offensively to the person who wrote the comment), I just think you would have made it clear if you thought it was the tv. Just avoid the basement for a bit because people have the tendency to have strange occurrences there (I've had plenty in mine)
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-09)
I wouldn't be worried about demons. I like what lexiblue and miracles51031 said. I understand how you may think people won't believe or understand you. Why not try and see if one of your BEST friends have the same thing happen to them. If they do, then you know your not the only one 😉
GIRLIE ❤
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
12 years ago (2012-05-09)
Yourmomishot82 - before scaring yourself to death, make sure you rule out everything normal, okay?

You said the living room is fairly close to the basement and that your dad was watching TV. Are you absolutely 100% certain that it wasn't the TV that you heard? Sounds can become distorted and sound like something completely different from one room to the next.

Since you were already afraid because this had happened to you once, the fear was already established for the next trips to the basement.

Here's something I think will help you figure it out. Keep a record each time you have to go to the basement. In this journal, or diary, write down if the TV is on or a radio; who is home at the time and what rooms they are in. Write down what time of the day you go to the basement.

All of these things will help you figure out whether or not this is an actual paranormal experience. Come back and let us know what you have found out.

By the way, there are several of us who keep journals, so I'm not suggesting this because I don't believe your story. I'm suggesting it because I believe you believe something has happened.
Queenzombie (1 stories) (39 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-09)
Okay first off, besides scared how does going down in the basement make you feel? Do you feel like what is down there laughing dangerous? If so, don't go down there until you figure out what it is. Also I know that the word demon is scary in itself but from what I hear then attend to go for weak links. If you are going down there terrified then they will feed off of that. I would just avoid that area for the time being. With that said if its a ghost and it has no aggression attentions then it may just want attention. Laughing may not be a good way to go about that since it is found to be very creepy. Anyway, I am not an expert but if you go online I am sure you can find people who are willing to talk to you about how to handle the situation. A lot of mediums, etc I'm sure would offer their services to a 14 year old for free. If you want to talk more about it feel free to email me at queenzombie74 [at] gmail.com
LexiBlue (2 stories) (25 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-09)
I'm also 14, and I have the same problem with the other kids here. But I don't really think they are demons. Has anyone recently died in your family? My on your dads side? Or is there anything new that you have in the basement that might have a lot of value? I'm thinking that if its a died relative (one that is close to you). Most likely its just trying to tell you something. But I also think that if its something in your basement that maybe you brought into your home, maybe the ghost followed it to your house and doesn't want you to have it. You could also talk to your dad about this. See if he has any information. Thank you for the story.

❤ LexiBlue 😜

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: