You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Photographs / Videos / EVP :: Recent Mamie Thurman Sighting

Real Ghost Stories

Recent Mamie Thurman Sighting

 

It was a cool night in July 2007 in West Virginia, two of my nieces and I were looking for something to do, one of the girls asked to go out and stir up a ghost. It was around 9:00 p.m. We drove around for a bit and ended up in Logan County, after reading a web site concerning the brutal murder of Mamie Thurman. It has been more than 60 years since the murder, which occurred in Logan County on June 22, 1932, legend has it that her body was dumped in the woods along 22 mines mountain road.

So lo and behold that's where we (my nieces and I) drove to, we had two digital cameras with us, while Tina drove Marsha and I clicked our cameras at random, for the most part all we could see on the small screens of our digitals were orbs, distorted pictures and the glare of the headlights.

When we returned home and uploaded all the pictures onto my computer, Marsha had turned around and snapped about 4 pictures of the back windshield of the SUV we were riding, (the back window was heavily tinted) in all but one of the pictures the only thing you could see was a black window, in one of them there were many orbs, of all different sizes, in the midst of the orbs you could see a very clear picture of a dark haired woman dressed in a black cloak.

When I uploaded the pictures from my digital camera I captured many many orbs, one of the pictures turned out very distorted all accept the lower right corner where it is very plain to see a woman dressed in a black cloak (long cape) sitting on the ground leaned up against a tree with her head bowed and her arms crossed.

Picture of Orbs 1
Picture of Orbs 2
 

Up to this point I was a skeptic, but now I do believe that when a person is murdered or passed before its time that their spirit lingers on earth.

[note from the webmaster: this story has been updated by the author on 2007-07-27 with the following email:]

"Hi, if you look to the lower right you can see a woman sitting there leaning against the tree. In the second picture l am sending was taken by my niece with a different digital camera. The window of the SUV we were riding was heavily tinted, look past the orbs to the right you can see a woman in a black cloak. The vehicle was on the move when both pictures were taken. Both pictures were taken about the same time, it was about midnight on July 21, 2007 on 22 Holden Rd. In Logan County.

Thank you for your interest in my story and pictures..."

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from West Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sharon_Hatfield, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Nathaniel (37 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-10)
I agree with Kambersmith, I see a raccoon! I don't see a woman anywhere in the picture, but maybe I am overlooking it.:)
kambersmith (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-10)
What I see next to the tree on bottom right is a raccoon. Its face is pretty obvious to me.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-08)
SuzD,

That 'very clear' line down the near center of the first picture is the SUV's Radio antenna... They are coated in black plastic and have a wire wrapped around a center pole type of construction... The real riddle to this picture is why is the 'lady' and the antenna so clear and the rest of the picture filled with motion blur / double exposed (which if a digital photo a double exposure is a very, very planed thing indeed).

Respectfully,

Rook
SuzD (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-08)
If you expand the pictures, the first one is clearly a double exposure. The lines are double exposed on the road and clearly are going in two different directions. It is most likely a picture of an actual woman and not what is supposed to be my great-aunt's ghost and then another exposure placed over the top of it to blur it and give it the ghostly look. If you look closely the road is not even a consistent width at different points in the picture. Also, let's hear an explanation of the line down the picture? Pretty obvious. The second one looks like some rain drops on a window. You know, whatever stories about Mamie that each person believes she did not deserve to die like she did and furthermore she does not deserve the treatment that her memory has received.
ladymoondust (2 stories) (41 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-17)
this picture is very clear to me if the camera moved or not. I see a woman on the right bottem side of the first picture. She is sitting agiants the tree on the ground hands in her lap legs turned up like in a sitting fetal posision. Looks like she has a black cap on also like in the old days woman would wear a hat (mostly poor woman) looks like that the dress is definitly black with white detail. That's all I see:)
Ps. She looks sad and cold
ChuppaChupp (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-29)
I don't see anything either, it just look's like a blurred night-time picture to me.

I do see lots of orb's in the second picture though.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-05)
I don't see anything either... In the first photo, it's hard to say that anything is there when all you see is double-imaging from motion blur, and the second one just looks like water spots.:\

Blessings,
DA
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-05)
I'm sorry, but I simply do not see whatever everyone else does. It just appears to be a night time scene of some woodland next to a road with the flash of the camera illuminating and causing differences in exposure.
As to the other picture, all I see is the inside of the suv back window with a whole bunch of out of focuse raindrops.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-23)
Ominix That's what I thought I seen too in the picture, it does look like a dog like person. That is what first popped in my head glad I'm not the only one who thought so. Thanks for sharing your story and pictures. 😊
ominousnyxx (10 stories) (136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-18)
o_o" I don't know if I'm seeing it right.
But in the first picture where everyone is saying they see the lady...
I see a dog faced person... >.>"
Oglegen (6 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-18)
I can see the woman in a long black dress on the bottom right hand side of the picture. I don't know how anyone could not see that!
arielleerica (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-18)
hey there, if you look in the first picture beside of the tree not only can you see her sitting on a tree stump. Look closely and you can see her left eye stairing back at you.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-15)
The first picture, lady sitting on a stump, leaning over, hands crossed, I can see her legs, glowing white garment of some kind, and it appears to have a black cloak over the garment, but shows the white garment more then the black cloak. I have the feeling she is unhappy, waiting for someone, or something to show up, that never did.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-15)
The first picture, where it looks like an antena is in the middle of the pic. I can see a white figure, looks as if sitting on a stump or something. Not in a black cloak however. This figure is white. Will have to check the one with the orbs a bit closer, see if I see anything in it. I do have the feeling there is something in both pictures however.
hillhunterproductions262007 (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-14)
Well I can see it as plan as day.

If anyone has seen this ghost and would like to tell us about it feel free to contact us we are doing a movie on her it should be out halloween 2008 if you all would like to check us out here is the web site
http://www.myspace.com/hillhunterproductions4
Adie (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-03)
Well I hate to say it but dude they aint nuttin in them pics. In the 1st pic you was movein the camer and in the 2nd pic it looked like water spots.
AdamSFC (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-22)
can't see anything in the 1st picture, looks like the camera was jogged when you took it, 2nd picture looks like dust to me.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-27)
Hi Sharon! I can't really make out the figure that you mentioned, maybe slightly in the first one. Even so they are very good orb pics if nothing else. Thanks for including them and your story was really good too. You're a bunch of crazy women! I mean that in the nicest possible way, I'd have loved to have been there! 😉
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-27)
😨 😲 WOW! Cool story! Unfortunately my work computer is not as bright for me to see the pictures clear, but I can't wait to see them at home! I would of been so scared!
If you ever go back try to take picture outside the car to see what you capture!
good luck!

blessing, looney

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: