You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Strange Sounds In An Empty House

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Sounds In An Empty House

 

This experience took place outside small town called Ballynahinch in Northern Ireland. I was about 14 when it took place and was always looking for trouble with my friends.

There was about 6 of us walking to an abandoned house just to explore inside it. I was with my best friend, her younger sister and brother, as well as two friends of ours who were boys. The house was down a country road and across two fields. It was just a normal looking country bungalow, although it was abandoned (we didn't know how long for) and the windows and doors were covered up with tin sheets.

The story began when we got to the house and were still outside. My friend's younger sister asked us if we heard a woman crying, which we didn't. She was scared and refused to go in, trying to convince us she had heard a woman but we assumed she was just trying to frighten us.

One of the boys pulled back the tin on one window and we climbed in. The room was empty so we went further, to the kitchen, which had newspapers scattered everywhere and the attic door was open. Hanging from it was a large rope.

When we left the kitchen we were in the corridor, which got darker the further it went, leading to pitch blackness at the end. My friend and I didn't go that far. We entered the first room on the corridor, which had a cot and newspapers strewn across the floor.

We were in there for about 5 minutes when my best friend and I heard the sound of a woman sobbing. The strange thing was that it was like the sound happened in our heads but we both looked at each other after it happened.

We both definitely heard it but nobody else in the room heard it and they didn't believe us so we ran outside again. We were told afterwards a suicide was committed in the house but we couldn't find out if this was definitely true.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, WestboundShauna, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

WestboundShauna (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-14)
I have an update on my story. I was talking to a friend yesterday whose grandfather knew who owned the house. His grandfather said there was a man, woman and child who lived in the house some years ago. The man committed suicide. I don't know what became of the woman and child or exactly when this took place.
WestboundShauna (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-11)
Hello SDS. I agree, I think there was something sad about this house. Unfortunately there are no neighbours to ask that would have heard anything directly from the house, as it is in the middle of nowhere.
My friends and I had to walk out of the town and through some fields to get to it.

Yes, my friend's sister heard the same sound before my friend and I even entered the house. I will try to ask some people who may have some idea as to the fate of whoever occupied the house.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-06)
Hello WestboundShauna, that was an interesting narrative. I think there was something quite sad about the house. But still you could ask the neighbours if they had heard any sounds from the house. You said one of your friends heard a sob from a girl before you even entered the house. Means you and your best friend were not the only two, who heard the crying of a woman but also your friend's sister.

You also said that you heard that there was a suicide in the house. Then you should pursue it more. Try to investigate, ask the neighbours or elders living near the area, perhaps they might help. Kindly post your answers and thanks for sharing your experience.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
WestboundShauna (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-03)
[at] Valkricry - I meant just a regular baby cot. This is a very rural area I live in so there aren't many homeless. I know teens do sometimes hang out up there but the interesting thing about these newspapers were that they were dated from quite a few years ago and there was some name circled in pen on all of them - but I can't remember the name now.
I think the crying may have been a warning of some sort - it certainly made me and my friend get out of there fast. I feel bad for whatever spirit is trapped in there, we could sense pain in the house.

[at] ASH4321 Yeah there was also an empty box of nappies/diapers in that particular room so it must have been a child's room at some point. I wouldn't know where to start in regards to researching the house as I don't know who owns the land it's on. I do know it has been set on fire a couple of times by teenagers since I was in it.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2013-05-03)
Interesting story. The newspapers and cot (did you mean like an army cot?) makes me think that the house may not have been as abandoned as you think. Sometimes the homeless set up shop in places like that, or teens use it as a hang out. Could be the crying you heard was a warning to get out before something bad could happen.
ASH4321 (1 stories) (22 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-02)
Hey

Interesting story. Maybe she had a baby in the story you mentioned something about a cot. You could do some research about the house just an idea.

Ash 😕

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: