You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Flashback By The Tennessee River

Real Ghost Stories

Flashback By The Tennessee River

 

My family moved around a few times when I was growing up. When I was six, we left Michigan and bought a house in Tennessee. We ended up staying in Tennessee for sixteen years, and over time I had a few paranormal experiences in that neighborhood. The first experience happened around the time we moved in. I remember seeing something weird as we were driving one day.

I was sitting in the back seat of the car, just looking out the window and checking out my new neighborhood. I saw a hill and a brick house that looked kind of old fashioned. It wasn't a mansion but it was definitely a strong sturdy house, like an estate. Coming down the hill were two or three women. They had buckets and looked like they were going to get water. They were in old fashion clothes, but not fancy ones. They looked like maids or servants. They had bonnets on their heads, and simple dresses. They looked cheerful, like they were enjoying their walk together. And I saw all this in about five seconds, as we passed by in our car. I wanted to watch them more though!

Being new there, and only six, I thought they were playing dress up lol, and that's why they looked old fashioned. But you know what was there was when I looked for it again? A totally different scene! The open land, that I saw before, had a lot more trees covering it. There wasn't as much of a hill, because it had been paved over with a street of houses. I could tell it was the same place, just a lot more modernized. I didn't know what to make of it as a kid... And I just kind of forgot about the experience, until recently when it came back to my memory.

It was just so weird that I saw a whole picture of the old area, like time just slipped back for a second! When it came back to me later, I realized it definitely made sense that I saw flashback of people going to get water. Because we lived right near the Tennessee river!

It never happened again with that spot, although I have other stories of flashbacks in other parts of the neighborhood. It didn't scare me, it was just a really interesting experience! Made me realize that time is kind of freaky though... Like we're all in some movie that rewinds to an earlier scene! What?!

Other hauntings by Frances23

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Frances23, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

STARRCHiCC14 (31 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-27)
Frances23,
Just like what BadJuJu said, I think that was a time slip.
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-23)
Is there a big library nearby? A university library would be your best bet. If so, see if you can find any Sanborne fire insurance maps that cover that area. They were drawn up and frequently updated all through the latter part of the 18th century. They're large scale maps that even include individual layouts for larger buildings and they exist even for tiny towns and settlements. I realize the area you're talking about was rural then, but a big horse farm would have been a potential customer and the insurance companies would have wanted information on figuring rates, so there's a good chance there's a map somewhere covering it
Frances23 (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-23)
[at] elfstone810 I did hear, from people who knew the history of the land, that it was a horse ranch/farm before it was ever a neighborhood. And even back to the Civil War, it was used as a place where soldiers camped. It definitely has a history!
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-10-23)
Have any of y'all tried Nandor Fodor's experiment with dreams and time? (I think it was Fodor.) You keep a notebook by your bed and record your dreams as soon as you wake up. Then later you analyze them to try to figure out where the dream elements came from. Once you get good at recognizing the things showing up in your dream, you'll find that sometimes the dream will come before the thing that caused it.

For example, you might see a really ugly dress and then dream you're wearing it and that's normal. But you also might dream about the dress first and then see it a day or two later. The implication is that time is not so linear as we like to think and our subconscious is not always tethered to the here and now.

This is a great story and I agree it sounds like a time slip. Please tell us more! Oh, and have you researched local history, looking for evidence of the house?
ghosthunter9876 (67 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-23)
Maybe the flashbacks were some memories of a past life of yours locked away in your subconscious and you may have lived right there in Tennessee on that very hill in your past life. If possible browse for those dresses on the internet as regards to past history of Tennessee and you might just find out your connection to those flashbacks.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+5
11 years ago (2013-10-23)
BJJ - I just love the techy lingo. I learn so much from this site 😆
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+5
11 years ago (2013-10-23)
The technical term for this is "wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...stuff."
Seriously though, I think you experienced a time slip. Would love to hear about the other flashbacks you experienced in the area.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: