You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: There Is Just Something About Our Home

Real Ghost Stories

There Is Just Something About Our Home

 

It's been quite a long time since I've been on this website. My old username was aya22, which I deleted, but I tried creating another similar username and somehow all of my old stories came attached to my new one. (Good, at least I haven't lost anything.) I hope this doesn't offend people.

I'm writing this so I can catalog what's been happening. But I'm going to do something different. I'm going to explain the unusual things going on in my home, but I'm also going to include possible rational explanations for what's been going on.

When we took a tour of our home with the landlord the current tenant was still in the process of moving out. I noticed when going upstairs that she had a smudging stick lying out in the open. I wasn't snooping or trying to look at her stuff, because it was lying out in the open on her shelf. I don't know everything about smudging sticks, except for what I've learned from Hollywood (and we all know how incorrect that is most of the time), but perhaps someone here can enlighten me. I only mention it because it might bear some relevance. Anyways, I absolutely loved the house from the first moment I saw it, and I felt such strong positive vibes.

I was seven months pregnant when we moved in. Every night I had trouble sleeping, especially since it was summertime and very hot. Of course, being pregnant only exaggerated how hot it felt. So every other night I went downstairs while my husband slept upstairs in our bedroom, and I stayed up reading books or surfing the web. Every night I stayed up, I heard what sounded like someone walking around. The footsteps were coming from our bedroom upstairs, but I'd also hear someone walking between the other rooms and in front of the top of the stairs. I'd like to note that because of the layout of our house, most of this was in full view of where I sat every night. The only part I can't see from where I sat each night was the inside of our bedroom. So I was hearing what sounded like someone walking around at night, but my first thought was never anything unusual. I went upstairs each time to check on my husband. I was wondering if he was sleepwalking, which he's never had a habit of doing, but there's a first time for everything. Every time I'd find him deep in sleep in our bed. Sometimes, out of curiosity, I'd gently wake him up and ask him if he was okay and if he'd been walking around. He'd sleepily answer no (he hadn't been walking around).

In the mornings I'd ask him again if he had been walking around, even if only to go the bathroom. The answer was always no. Whatever, I shrugged it off, but every night I stayed up I heard the same sounds. I'd also get the very strong feeling of being watched from the top of the stairs, and many times I'd look up expecting to see my husband standing there, but nothing was ever there.

One day I finally confided in him with what I was hearing every night. So we did an experiment, because the other explanation was that it was just the house settling. I asked my husband to walk around upstairs for me, and I'd listen to see if it sounded the same. Not a very scientific experiment, but it was the best I could think of. It sounded the same. The other thought I had was possibly mice, but our last home had mice and I know what they sound like.

Okay. The next thing happened late at night when I was staying up. I had a 32 oz water bottle that I regularly drank out of throughout the day. It was sitting on the kitchen table, and this also was in full view of where I sat every night. All of a sudden my water bottle, which contained water in it, tipped over and fell onto the table with a loud thud. It startled me, and my first thought was to blame our cat. But our cat was sleeping at my feet, underneath my chair. I thought it was odd that my water bottle could somehow suddenly tip over on its own. Nothing else in the house was displaced. For this I can't offer any other rational explanation.

The next thing happened with the painting I'd created for my daughter's bedroom. I'd put a lot of time and effort into it. Anyways, when I completed it, I left it standing on top of the dresser in the baby room, leaning against the wall, for my husband to hang up at a later time. The next time I went in the baby room I found the painting in the middle of the room, wedged between the rocking chair and the footrest. This one unnerved me a bit. I showed it to my husband and we began discussing how it could've happened. He suggested the cat might have knocked it over, but I told him what I'd observed of our cat. Out of all the rooms in the house, the baby room is the only room she doesn't go into, even if I'm in there (our cat follows me everywhere). If I'm in the baby room she sits outside in the hallway and watches me from there. So my husband placed the painting back where it had been. He then shook the dresser, but the painting didn't budge. Just because we couldn't get the painting to fall off the dresser, doesn't mean it isn't possible. But still, even if it did fall off unassisted, I can't see how it would've bounced all the way to where I had found it.

As an aside, a possible explanation for my cat's not going into the baby room: I actually don't want her going in there, and although I've never had to teach her not to go in there, it's likely that she can pick up on my body language.

Twice our radio has turned on by itself and played at full blast. This can be explained as some kind of electrical glitch. Another time when my husband and I were watching a movie, the menu to change screen size popped up on the TV, and then the screen size changed. My husband looked at me and laughed that I was sitting on the remote, but I pointed to the table in front of us where all the remotes were located. This too, I suppose, could've been an electrical glitch.

For two nights in a row I heard a knock on the front door. Both nights I had been sitting on the couch reading. My husband was at work. On the first night that I heard the knock I looked up and thought I saw a grey misty thing, but it quickly vanished. I attributed what I thought I saw to being overly tired. I looked out the peephole (what a horrible word, lol) in our door and saw nothing. I didn't bother looking out the window that night. As a side note, I had been getting weird feelings that night.

The next night I heard a single knock on the door again, and this time it even made the little Christmas acorn-bell on our doorknob, leftover from the holidays, jingle a tiny bit. I got up and looked out the window, but didn't see anything. A minute later I looked out the peephole for curiosity sake, but still nothing was there. I turned on all the outside lights, thinking that someone was out there. (Knocking holds significance for me, due to something that had happened when I was a teenager. I'll explain it very briefly. I had been awake in my room, aware of the feeling that something was there with me, and listening to shuffling outside my door, when I asked out loud but quietly for whatever was there to knock on my door. There were three knocks on my door and the doorknob started to slowly turn. I got scared, asked whatever it was to go away, and then felt pressure on my leg, and even felt the blankets fold down, as if someone had put a hand there. Ever since that night, every now and then, but not very frequent, whenever I feel "not alone" I hear soft knocks from somewhere nearby me.)

On another night while my husband was at work I had the overwhelming feeling that something else was with me, other than my daughter and the cat. I was sitting on the couch with my baby daughter in my lap, and kept hearing a strange shuffling sound directly behind me. Every time I turned to look for the source, but didn't see anything. That night is extremely important to me for other reasons, because I felt extremely prompted to do something, and since I listened to that prompting, my life (and my husband's life) has changed dramatically. I won't elaborate since it's irrelevent to YGS, but I'd like to note it's improved our lives and made my husband and I so, so much happier!

The last thing that's happened so far was just the other night when I was taking care of my daughter and helping her to go to sleep. She was falling asleep in my arms when her dangling toys on her toy-bar-thing suddenly starting swinging back and forth as if something had swatted at them. A possible explanation for this is perhaps they had gotten caught on each other somehow and gravity finally did its thing.

Well, that's it. I apologize for this being so incredibly long. I've probably forgotten something though. I don't feel scared within my home, but there have been times when I've felt something else inside with us. I just don't want to let those feelings cloud my judgement. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Other hauntings by 22aya

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, 22aya, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

22aya (10 stories) (11 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-02-24)
Sorry it took me so long to do this! I'll try to respond a little to everyone's input. Thanks to everyone that read this and offered their thoughts.

Miracles, thanks! When things kept happening inside our house, I recalled how you'd tell people to write it down (back when I regularly visited this site). It definitely helps. And if I write it while I can still remember everything that happened then none of the details get lost and I can also look at it more objectively.

Kbbaby, thank you for your ideas! I almost wish I had asked the previous tenant about the smudge stick, but then I didn't want to seem nosy and risk making her uncomfortable. I only met her the one time, but she was a very sweet woman. It's funny. Sometimes I swear my landlord has hinted at things when he's asked about the house, but I don't feel comfortable talking about it. Talking about these kinds of things with people face to face isn't something I've gotten used to yet.

Griff, thank you for taking the time to read this. Haha, I know what game you're talking about.:) If it helps, the sound of the knocks were very soft and light. We live in a neat place. My husband laughs that it's a subarb in the middle of the forest. No busy roads nearby I'm afraid.

Ghstwrld, unfortunately I don't have contact with her. It would be interesting if anything happened to her though. Thanks for reading!

TinaR, I see that you're a guest now so I have no idea if you'll come back to this site, but thank you for taking the time to read this and share your thoughts!

Granny, thanks!:)

MeadowRayne, thank you! That's all of the 'million eyes' stories though, sorry.

Ruby Rose, thanks and welcome to you too! Ygs is a great place to share these kinds of things without fear of being embaressed. I hope to look more into the history of the area soon, since it is pretty interesting. If I find anything out about the house specifically I'll remember to include it here.

CrystalLeo, thanks and another welcome! Thank you also for clarifying about the smudgestick. Lol, I've used incense before too, but it sounds like you're making your own. I bet it smells wonderful! And yup, she's very adorable! Thank you!:)

Tracie, thank you! The only thing that's happened, or changed, since I sent in this story is that our cat is now extremely skittish upstairs and she won't go up there anymore. At all. She sits on the couch staring at the staircase sometimes. One night I tried to put her in our room and place her on our bed to let her know it's okay, but she started frantically squirming around in my arms and really digging her claws into my skin and scratching me. She normally NEVER scratches me, not even if I'm playing with her when it would be normal if she did. Her eyes were huge like she was scared, and when she got free of me she kept her body very low to the floor and quickly ran downstairs, then hid behind the piano. I take note of her behavior since animals are often aware of things that we aren't.

Josephgogi, wow your experience does sound very unnerving. I'll make sure to read about your experience. I also hope that it hasn't been making you or your family feel too uncomfortable! Thank you for reading this.

Addiemaerose, I admit that possibility didn't come to me which is why I'm glad for input from others. We've talked about getting a motion-sensor light outside because we also get wildlife sometimes, so when we do finally get one it should help clear that up.

Darkness, it did take me a while to get back on here! Sorry for that. Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts. I agree- it feels like something benevolent but it wants me and my husband to know that it's here. Sometimes I like to think that it could be a family member. I'd discussed everything with my husband and he decided to say a prayer for the home. Once he did things really slowed things down. The footstops at nights even stopped. The only thing that's happened since I posted this is that our cat now refuses to go upstairs. She sits on the couch and stares at the staircase once in a while, but one time when I tried to bring her up there with me to help her feel comfortable she acted extremely uneasy and started clawing at me to get away. She then slunk really low to the ground, darted downstairs, and hid behind the piano. She used to sleep with us in our bed but now she's permanently downstairs. I don't get it, but it feels very calm here otherwise.:)

Crossing my fingers now that there's not too many typos.
22aya (10 stories) (11 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-23)
First, I'd like to apologize for my absence in not responding sooner. Life has gotten kind of crazy lately, so sorry for not checking in before now.

I just want you guys to know that I appreciate your input, but because it's 1:00 in the morning where I am I'm not going to respond right now. I'll come back in soon, promise!:)

Thank you (everyone) for your input, since I read through everyone's responses. I'll come back and reply when I'm not so sleepy. Thanks again, ~aya
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-02-18)
22aya I have noticed you have not posted answers to posters queries etc so you may not even see my post but anyways.
I do feel that something benevolent is residing within your home, nothing to feel threatened by, it almost seems like its curious and perhaps even protective, this may explain why your cat will not enter your baby's room.
The events you have explained are almost textbook signs of attention, I feel a bit of research may be in order, the previous tenant whatever her intent was with the smudge stick obviously new something spiritual was going on in the house. Look forward to hearing from you. 😊 Thanks for sharing.

Dan
addiemaerose57 (2 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-16)
One thing you might want to consider is some kids or teenagers play a game called like "Ding-Dong Ditch" or something along those lines. They run up to a door, knock or press the doorbell, and run off. Scary experience though.
josephgogi (2 stories) (34 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-14)
I have experienced a lot of what you described, especially the "footstep' and feeling like someone is looking at you from the top of the stairs. When I look up I too expect to see someone, but not a member of the family. Very similar. I wrote about my experience under the story titled 'Lillie". I have also seen shadows that I could not explain or duplicate, and clearly the footsteps have also been heard by my two daughters and their friends. I also experienced giggling, whispering and felt a small hand grab my calf twice. Sometimes I feel like whatever the entity is it's trying to get my attention. I even have had some of my items moved when I knew no one else was in the house to have moved them. I was never a believer in ghost up until a few years ago when I turned 45. Very stange.
Tracie1975 (4 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-13)
I love your story, and I really like the fact that you look for simple explanations. Please keep us posted on anything else that happens. Blessings to you and your family.
CrystalLeo (27 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-13)
Hey aya.

I'm new-ish to this site. But I love your stories.
And Tina, it really doesn't make a difference if the tendant was a wicca.
I'm a christian but even I would use a smudgestick for cleansing and purging purposses if need be. Yet so far Insence is working more than fine for me.
It could have been a monthly or weekly thing the previous owner did in order to keep negative energy away from the property. I do the same with my lavender insence. I'm even growing them now.
It might be that the entity just wants someone to know that he/she is there? Not sure, that's what it sounds like to me.
If things start to escilate and you start feeling uncomfortable let someone know immediately.

P.S, Congrats on your baby daughter! I'm sure she is adorable!
Ruby_Rose90 (1 stories) (12 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-02-13)
Hi, welcome back to YGS, I've only recently joined and came across your experiences so very glad that you have started again:)
Im also glad that whatever choice you felt prompted to make was so positive!
I don't have any insight as to what's happening or what to do other than as with a lot of others I like to look into the history of things so that may shed some light for you. Best of luck though I will wait patiently but eagerly to see any updates:)
MeadowRayne (1 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-13)
I just read all your stories. Amazing. I do hope to hear more about the house with a million eyes.
Thank you for sharing
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-12)
22aya: Welcome back! And excuse me for just one minute.

TinaR: What difference would it make if the previous tenant was Wiccan?
TinaR (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-12)
Maybe the previous tenant was a Wicca...? I actually can bet that there is something there. Some of the things you experienced make no sense unless someone has made the effort to move them or push.
ghstwrld (1 stories) (22 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-12)
kbbaby224, probably best not to jump to conclusions and say that the previous owner is "hiding something", we don't really know that for certain.

22aya, do you have contact details for the previous owner? Maybe you could contact her and ask if she had any weird happenings in the property. None of this sounds too threatening but I can see how it would be annoying for you!
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-12)
I really enjoyed reading this, my favourite kind of stories are the ones with simple happenings, and for someone to have a grounded, logical head, who looks for reasons why things happen, so bravo for being that way 😊

Might sound silly, but do you live in an area where there are kids / teenagers at all. I used to play a game called knock door run, which is self explanatory really. We would do it late at night looking for houses with lights on (not proud of this by the way, but its what kids do.) We used to do either one loud knock, or fast repeated knocks, then leg it...
Also, do you live near a main road, where truck vibrations could have caused the bottle to fall, and the picture for your baby to fall? Not sure about the sound of walking from upstairs or the feeling of not being alone or being watched. Anyways, please keep us updated & thanks for the great post.
kbbaby224 (2 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-11)
Okay, well I do a lot of research about paranormal activities & it sounds like you have more than just 3 people & a cat in your house.

Let me start by simply saying, the woman that showed you the inside of the house (the one who had the smudgestick) is hiding something from you that she doesn't want you to know about. You need to go to her right away & ask her about the houses history.

To me it sounds like maybe a child or even an adult died in your home & had the room that your baby has now & it doesn't want the baby to take the room. If you have any other rooms in your house that you don't really use unless its for storage, you might want to consider moving your baby into another room & put all your storage stuff in the baby's room. It doesn't sound demonic to me, but what it did with the picture seems like somethings going on.

You need to find out what has happened inside of your house. If you need to set up cameras when you're not home during the day. It could just be a past away family member trying to get your attention.

Don't think its automatically something bad if it hasn't done any harm. & as for feeling like something is in the room with you, I feel it all the time. I get a strange loud buzz in my ear when I know someone is coming in my room. I've experienced paranormal activities in one of my old houses, but they never caused harm.

But like Miracles51031 said, take notes of everything that's happening. If your landlord won't tell you anything, you can always do research on your house.

Hope everything goes well for you & your family.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-11)
22aya - I'm expecting company any minute now, but wanted to quickly say, "Welcome back!" 😊

One other thing, really quick. If the activity continues, keep a journal with dates, times, etc. You've got a good start here. And the smudgestick? Mmmmm...yep, I think the woman had her own experiences. Either that or she was just cleansing the home before you moved in. But all things considered, I'm guessing there was activity and she was trying to take care of things before you and your family moved in.

I have other thoughts but don't have time to get them in writing. If no one else voices them before I get back, I'll mention them.

Again, welcome back 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: