You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Pacing Apparition

Real Ghost Stories

The Pacing Apparition

 

It was the summer of 1987. I lived on a farm in southeastern Kansas with my grandparents. My little brother and were having a slumber party with three of our cousins who happened to live across the pasture from us. I was thirteen. My brother was ten, and our cousins were about thirteen, fourteen, and eight. My cousin, Jennifer and I were the only girls there, so we watched some scary movies with my brother and my other cousins, then decided to listen to music and gab in my bedroom. My room was in the front of the house, facing the gravel road. There was a tall hedge row in the front yard, next to the gravel road, and the only thing that could be seen from the road at night was headlights from a car.

It was pitch black outside as we sat on the old brass bed which was positioned against the open front window. I glanced out into the stark night through the window from time to time as we giddy girls talked about cute boys at our school, Rick Springfield, and listened to eighties music. At one point in the conversation in which I was trying to make my point (probably trying to convince her of why Led Zeppelin was the best band in the world), I happened to look out the window and see a glowing, tall figure walking up and down the road in front of the farm house. Now, I have no earthly idea how I was so enthralled in the conversation that we were having, that I noticed this bizarre figure only on a subconscious level. I recall seeing this person pacing, but I must have filed it in the back of my mind for later processing. The way my mind works, at times seems almost as enigmatic as this story.

It was rather early in the morning, and it seemed that we had been talking for hours about nothing. All of a sudden, I felt someone staring at me and looked up and out of the window. There my eyes immediately fell upon a tall, gaunt, hollow-eyed, glowing, skeletal figure which was leaning against a tall cedar tree in the front yard by the road and staring at me! As soon as I laid eyes on it, the figure quickly looked away, just the same way a person in real life would if he or she was caught staring at another. My cousin and I watched in utter astonishment as the spirit started off walking down the road and after a few paces, completely vanished.

We both looked at each other, wide-eyed. "Did you see that?!", I asked my cousin. She shook her head yes, looking a bit pale. We quickly ran into the living room where our brothers were, hoping that it was them playing a joke on us. Much to our dismay, they were all sound asleep in front of a "snowy" television set.

My cousin and I did not sleep at all that night. The next morning we told the guys about it and they were as freaked out about it as we were. I never did find out why the spirit was so interested in me.

Other hauntings by aimspader

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, aimspader, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

NightGhost (guest)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-13)
Wow your parents or grandparents didn't give you the whole Ouija boards are evil speech I take it. Lol The only reason I suggested that is because my mom had an attack when she found the board me and my brother deliberately went and bought. She burned it hence we moved from that place. Well the dork and I got another one which years later we burned ourselves. Luckily we were too stupid to know how to use it. We always complained it never moved like it should as we saw on tv. I think we were just not in tune with it and played with it as a game. Not until an encounter I had when he sought to see his dead friend again that I suggested that he rid the board for good. And there has been nothing but peace since! When you sub consciously bring entities to life, it's important to put them back where they came from. Spirits are meant to be left dead or wherever they belong, not bringing them to life. I suppose we'd be angry spirits too if someone conjured us up after we were resting in our tomb. 😆 Let us know if your family has rid the presences on that farm.
aimspader (3 stories) (4 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-02)
The house was built in the twenties, I believe. It is still there. My Uncle lives there now. There was a Civil War battle fought around the farm house and many relics have been found from this era, such as old coins, and even an old cannonball.

I am not sure who lived there before my Grandparents moved there in the 50's. I think it was a black couple who farmed the land. I do know that some other bizarre things happened there.

My Uncle was telling me that when he was a teen-ager in the late seventies, my Grandparents were at some political function (my Grandfather was a State Representative) and he had come home from a friend's house before they got home. He was the only one in the house and was in his bedroom when he heard a strange,loud,forceful "whooshing" sound coming from the dining room. He discovered a huge pile of what appeared to be fresh manure on a chair that was sitting near the wall. It was not there before he came home and he said it smelled horrid! Nobody ever figured out what caused it, but he believed it to be demonic.

Years later, while I was living there, I had played with the Ouija board. I don't remember my encounters with the board much, but I do remember feeling like there was always someone standing over me when I was alone in the house.

My Uncle bought the house after my Grandparents moved out in 1988. In the mid-nineties, my little cousin (my Uncle's only son), who was about five at the time, would complain of seeing demons. He said they would talk to him. So finally his parents got their preacher to come out to the house to rid it of the evil spirits. Even after the cleansing ritual was performed, my cousin remembers the demonic presences telling him that they were not leaving and that "Aimee invited us..."

I never consciously invited anything evil into the house. My ignorance of the dangers of playing with the ouija board was to blame, I suppose. 😕 Another explanation is that the spirit could have been a lost soul who followed me not long after I had visited an old abandoned graveyard on a neighboring farmer's property. There were three or four head stones from the late 1800's on his property. There was a husband and wife who died in their early twenties and, I believe, two infant's graves.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-09-29)
Very true Melissa, the history behind a haunting is a very important part of the investigation. Who knows maybe the spirit was that of a past resident who for what ever reason wanted one last look at the place and when he/she realized that they could be seen decieded it was time to leave. Thank you Aimspader for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
melissagrove2000 (4 stories) (43 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-09-29)
ahhh...the eighties. What a wonderful time. Especially the RICK SPRINGFIELD part. I still drive down the highway listening to him and all my other favorite 80's music. But this is a very interesting story. What is the history of the farmhouse? How old is it? Maybe being able to find these facts out might speed your answer to you. As somebody may have passed away there. If its pretty old then I'm sure it has some interesting history behind it. I am assuming that the farmhouse is still there.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: