You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Recent Activities

Real Ghost Stories

Recent Activities

 

My apartment is the second story of an old Victorian home, built in the mid to late 1800s. Those of you who have read my other submissions know that I experience bouts of activity. Nothing that I deem scary or harmful, just, well not 'normal'. Things like objects moving or 'transporting' to another room almost before your eyes, or furniture being stacked in impossible ways, my bed being stripped while I was still in it, or someone unseen playing with Kirby, my cat. Over the decade plus that I've lived here I've come to terms with the fact I get 'visitors'. I think it has to deal with the age of the house, coupled with my own sensitivities, but as long as whomever it is plays nice I'm ok with it.

This go round began in mid April. I came home to find my closet door open, unusual, but I supposed I may have forgotten to close it. This went on for two good weeks or so. I've never had problems with the door before, so it struck me odd. Then it started happening even when I was home. I'd close the door, just to find it sitting wide open later. The only reason it bothered me, is I worried I'd accidentally close my cat up in it. Finally, I placed my bedroom chair in front of it, thinking if it was popping open due to natural reasons (like settling, warping or something) that should take care of it. That night, sitting at my computer working, I heard an odd scrapping sound from the closet's direction. Turning my head, I SAW the chair being moved a few inches away as the door swung open. A tad unnerving, but not too scary. I held my breath and watched with a mix of fascination and fear, wondering what would happen next. Nothing, zip, zilch. I forced myself to turn away and continue with my work, while I pondered what I'd just witnessed. I looked over at Kirby, who was docilely laying on his side by the bedroom door. I thought to myself that he certainly seemed ok with whatever caused it.

After a bit, I went over and closed the door, which made Kirby sit up and look at me. "You'd think they'd have the manners to at least close the door again. Huh, Kirb?" I said out loud, as I went back to the computer. A loud crash spun me back around. There on the floor laid an old plaster vase (the kind they sell artificial flower arrangements in) smashed to bits. It had been on the floor of my closet in a corner. Emotion took over - that vase, with it's long gone silk flowers had been a gift from my dead son. Yes, it was cheap and tawdry looking, but it was special to ME. I sank to the floor gathering up the pieces and started tearing up as I did so. I know it sounds illogical, but it felt as if I had just lost another piece of my son. Does that make sense? I started talking through my tears. "Now that - that was just MEAN and uncalled for! If that's how you're going to be, then you aren't welcomed here. You gotta go. You hear me? If you can't be nice, then you can't be here." I stood up, clutching the pieces in my hands and shoved the door shut with my foot.

Another event that happened within the same time frame (Mother's Day about 2:20 AM) was that I was waken by a music box playing the Unicorn song. If your familiar with windup music boxes, you know that every so often for no apparent reason one will play a few notes due to vibrations or something. The difference here was I know for a fact that it was completely wound down and, in this instance it played the entire song. In order for it to do that, it would have had the key turned several times.

Three days later, I was in the living room watching a movie, I got up to get a drink and when I sat back down I had a stabbing sensation in the buttocks. I rapidly stood up to find a fairly large sewing needle in the seat. How it got there is unknown. To the air I said, "Not funny."

Other incidents: clothes going missing only to be found neatly folded in odd places, like under my mattress, or in a desk drawer. My reading glasses went missing only to show up inside the living room lamp shade, balanced on those thin bars that run across the bulb. Weird things like that.

Which brings us back to the night I saw the chair move, and the vase was shattered. That really ticked me off, but the door has remained shut, and things have quieted back down.

Other hauntings by valkricry

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, valkricry, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
7 years ago (2017-08-09)
PBnJilly,
No worries, you can always comment on a story. The only thing we caution about older stories, is unless you know the OP is still active, questions may go unanswered. It doesn't 'bump' them up or anything like that.
You could be on to something, some of those pranks could have been my son. Only some things just didn't 'feel' like him. His pranks were never destructive or meant to give physical pain while living, so I don't see why they'd be that way now (like breaking the vase or that needle), but stuff that just drives you nuts? Yeah, that could be him. But... I don't 'feel' like it was?
Sometimes, we just get 'visitors'. I don't know why this is, but it seems to be so. Since, this is a 2 unit building, it might have something to do with the downstairs people 'bringing in' different identities with them. (Rook explained to me once how because units 'share' so much, it could be possible.) Side note: No one seems to stay in the downstairs unit for more than a year or two. We did have a single lady make it to 3 once. But, I guess with rentals that's fairly common.
PBnJilly (18 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-09)
Val,

Forgive me again, as I realize I'm commenting on an older story. (Sorry I'm not sure if commenting bumps the stories up to the top like it does with some forums or not? My apologies if so.) But a thought occurred to me after reading this and your Christmas story, and I hadn't seen anyone post this... But with it having been near Mother's Day, and thinking about some of the silly things your son seemed to do around Christmas, do you think it could have possibly been him?

I may be way off base here, but perhaps he'd heard you make those remarks about the vase and thought breaking it would be one way you'd A) connect the activity with him and B) help you with getting rid of it once and for all? Perhaps all the rest of the activity was him just playing around with you to let you know he was near and thinking of you on Mother's Day? Just some thoughts/possibilities.

Good god I love your stories! Lol

Light and love,
PB n Jilly
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-07-30)
granny, facecrack? Lol
Checking... Accepting...
Making stuff up to reach fifty...
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-07-30)
Val: Also, check your "other" message box on facecrack.

Threemore
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-07-30)
Val: You have to go into your account and edit your profile. I don't know if he didn't know that, or just didn't do it LOL
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-30)
granny,
You are welcome. I agree, it's bad enough when folks splatter their page url all over comments, but just taking stories... 😠 😠 😠
Question though, I've noticed some profiles do not contain a place for an url, or to even say a bit about yourself. Wasim's was like that. Any idea as to why?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-07-24)
Val: I'm moving the conversation here so we don't clutter up the other thread. Anyway, thank you! Sometimes I get so pissed when I see stuff like that. Maybe you could explain to wasim that they can share the stories from here to facebook. The "share" button is right underneath the story. It would help so much if everyone knew about this feature LOL
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-06-18)
Argette, thank you! That's exactly what I meant. Much of what happens around here is not scary just rather freaky or plain weird.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-06-18)
Eh, Granny, no worries. I'm just happy to 'see' you being a bit more active again 😊 Uh-huh, I did too notice your stillness for a bit but assumed either A) life was in your way of commenting, or B) like myself, you sometimes read and don't comment. I'm just happy to see you! Besides, my stories will wait, and life doesn't.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-06-18)
Bela, yes, he did! 😆 Poor guy... But I always take the time to explain (as best I can) things to him, and bring him into the debunking where possible, as I don't want him afraid. Or thinking that every bump in the night is a ghost. Especially when he witnesses something too.
I know it sounds like my apartment is incredibly active, but it's not really. We do have long stretches of time when nothing happens, or it's stuff so small it isn't worth mentioning, really. Or I can successfully debunk the 'event'.
Argette (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-06-17)
So sorry about the vase, Val.

The door and the chair is freaky. And the missing eyeglasses?
Weirdest of all.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-06-17)
Val: I'm so sorry I've missed a few of your stories. I promise I'll catch up eventually 😆.

Anyway, I don't think a Mother can be overly sentimental when it comes to those "fugly" little things our kids give us because we know they were given out of pure love and from the heart. I have in my possession a plastic beaded necklace that my Father bought for my Grandmother for her birthday when he was only 5 years old. The note on the box says he "payed a nikel for it". (She was a horrible speller LOL!) It may be worth a little bit of money now, because plastic was more or less a "new" thing in 1935, but I wouldn't sell it for all the gold in China.

My thoughts are that it's possible your ghostie didn't understand the value of the vase for you. That's no excuse to be downright mean, though. You did a good thing letting him/her know they'd crossed the line.

Looking forward to more, and I'll get to the backlog... Someday LOL
Bela_10 (3 stories) (51 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-17)
Val,
I wonder if your room mate knew he'd became a suspect. LOL. Does he know all those stuff happening in your house?

Yeah, camera is a bit expensive. But I do look forward for pictures or videos if you have the chance to buy one. 😁 It would be interesting! ❤
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-06-17)
Hi, Bela! Well, there's been times when I've lived here alone, but currently I have a roommate. However, he wasn't home when a lot of this happened. And with his disabilities there's no way he could do much of these 'pranks' for lack of a better term. Uh-huh, I was staring at him pretty hard as a suspect when things first started off. But you do need to rule these things out before crying ghost.
Haven't tried the camera thing. Nanny cams aren't too expensive are they?
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-06-17)
Red, lady-glow, and Tweed,
I hope you don't mind me lumping my answer about the vase all in one post, but it seemed rather redundant to answer you all separately about it. Unfortunately, I couldn't save it. It was in just too many pieces. Really shattered. So into the bin it had to go. 😢
Red your comment about your mom gave me a giggle. My mom use to say stuff like that all the time. "If you break both your legs falling out of that tree, don't you come running to me," or once after seeing a tape of some of the stunts I did (as Jokomo the clown),"If you get killed doing that, I'll never speak to you again!" Momisms - you gotta love 'em.
Bela_10 (3 stories) (51 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-17)
Hi Val! Are you alone in your house? I mean, is there any family members staying with you? That house is sure haunted. Did you try putting hidden camera to see what's happening in your house while you are sleeping or out of town?
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-06-17)
Tweed, I'm only 4 foot 10 so... Everything is pretty much 'kid height' around here. 😆
Perhaps this one found playing hide-n-seek with my things particularly funny or something, because they would be in the weirdest places. On the upside, it was odd enough that I'm pretty sure I didn't just 'misplace' it there.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-06-17)
Val,
I too teared up when I read about the vase. I hope you glued it back together if you could. I hope that when you kicked the door shut you hit the spirit in his butt. Maybe that's why the needle was in the seat you sat in.
Just yesterday my mother in-law was over to ask about her AARP Credit card. She couldn't understand the "chip" in it. Long story short when she was leaving she realized the card wasn't in the envelope. We started looking for it then I told everyone to stop. I yelled into the air at my deceased father in-law to put it back. I put all the papers back in the envelope and once again yelled dad put it back. A few seconds later my husband looked at the corner of the kitchen. He handed her the card saying things like this happen around here all the time. She screamed into the air I'm going to kill you Ray. I told her that would be hard since he is already dead. 😆
Yikes sorry about that too late for long story short.
I'm sorry val
Regards
Red
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-06-17)
Tears welled up in my eyes when reading the part about your broken vase... 😢

Thanks for sharing.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-17)
Hi Val,

I honestly don't know what to say. That vase act was just horrible. What's with hiding clothes under the mattress? I agree, sounds like a kid throwing a tantrum. If all the objects were moved at a certain height, ie low 4 ft region, this might be an indication of how tall the ghost is. Like child height, if the lamp was low etc.

Urgh I'm really glad it's quietened down again. I hope you kept the pieces of the vase. If you choose to get rid of it, this should be on your terms, not some snotty ghost/entity or whatever it is.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-06-16)
Miracles, you got that tantrum vibe too? Because after I had calmed down the same thought came to me. The playing of the music box, the needle in the chair, etc. All sound to me like what a kid or moody teen would do.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-06-16)
Aw val, that had to have been very emotional 😢 Sounds almost like a tantrum kind of reaction.

As for the needle, crap! Yeah, I'd have had to have said something too. That's just wrong. Well, so was smashing the vase 😢

Hopefully they/he/she (?) will be better behaved from now on.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-06-16)
Wish-Not, I doubt that it knew. I mean hidden away in a corner and all. The funny thing is, every time I had occasion to move that vase (it really was kind of fugly 😆) I'd think, "I really should get rid of this. It's just taking up space." But I just couldn't. Eh...sentimental, I guess. So, maybe in a weird twisted way, it kind of helped me?
I also don't know if it was responsible for the other things happening as well, but - it all stopped at the same time. *Touch wood*
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-16)
Hey Val, That was mean of it to break the vase. Curious if it knew that it meant so much to you? I would like to think not.

I am in agreement that as long as they play nice they can stay. It would be cool to see it move the door and chair. Ours has been playing well. Only a thing here and there.

Sorry for the loss of the vase. Always enjoy your stories.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: