You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: We Should Have Moved

Real Ghost Stories

We Should Have Moved

 

I've always believed in ghosts but never had an experience myself until about two years ago. This is my first attempt at writing it all down so be kind, may be kind of rambling.

Summer of 2013 I had just graduated college. My then boyfriend (now husband, same-sex couple) and I decided to take the plunge and move in with each other. We didn't have ties to anywhere in the state so we went on vacation in Charleston and ended up deciding to stay. After over a month of living in one of those extended stay hotels we began really looking around for a permanent residence. Nothing, however, was in our price range. Then I got the call. Cute little two bedroom home for rent at just what we could afford. We viewed the home, and should have said no right then.

Let me be clear on the state of this house, just to set the scene in your mind. The house itself was two bedrooms, one bath. No central heating or air, a glass pane missing from every window except the master bedroom, no working stove, no yard to speak of, and in the middle of one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in North Charleston. The landlord told us he was fixing up the house and it would be ready by the time we were to move in and we believed him. That didn't happen.

Soon after we moved in, we realized that on top of the less than ideal living conditions there was another problem in this house. It started the first night we moved in. Normally I can acclimate to new surroundings very easily (I never felt uncomfortable in any living situation I was in in college) but this night I was very on-edge and could not sleep. My boyfriend snoozed peacefully beside me but I just laid on this mattress on the floor and stared up at the sealing. Then I heard it, an unmistakably human sound coming from the living room. I woke up my boyfriend in a panic telling him someone was in the house, so he instantly jumps up and patrols the house... Finding no one. He came back to bed (kind of annoyed that I woke him from a deep sleep) and that was it.

After that both of us just had an uneasy feeling in the house. Then my boyfriend started noticing things. It started with shadows. I would be in one room and there would be a shadow in the hallway twenty foot away from me. Then footsteps. Day or night didn't matter. Then one morning he woke up before me and went to brush his teeth. When he walked back by the bedroom the covers were being pulled off of me in a straight line. It wasn't like they were falling, they were moving in a completely straight line down the bed as if someone was sitting on the floor and pulling from both ends (and yet he let me continue to sleep...).

Then we got two dogs, and the dogs began noticing things too. It could be completely calm and silent and they would sit up and stare at something, then watch "it" move away. They would bark at nothing, then sit back down just as calm as can be.

Around this time we both had jobs and one of us would normally be out of the house. One morning I sat in the living room on the phone when I heard loud footsteps coming from the hallway. I wouldn't say I brushed it off, but I definitely decided not to pay attention.

We had a lot of these little occurrences but three stand out for me... One night we were in bed and I had just gotten to sleep when I feel my boyfriend shake me awake. "Do I have a fever?!" he asks. I'm now ready to have to rush him to the hospital, but he was completely cool. "Good," he breathed, "just wanted to make sure I wasn't hallucinating." He then proceeds to tell me that he was just about asleep when he heard a child's voice beside him exclaim "Mom!". Now this is 3 in the morning, no children around, completely quiet outside. He was so creeped out he couldn't get to sleep.

Another time I had a friend over while cable was being installed. I was in the kitchen with my friend and she suddenly asks me where the cable man is. I tell her that he's outside and has been for the past hour or so. The color drains from her face and she tells me she had just heard a door creek open and saw a shadow move past the hallway. We were the only two in the house.

But the most freaky occurrence happened a few months before that. I came home from work about 9pm and every light in the house was on. My husband is a stickler about turning lights off when they aren't being used so I knew something was up. He comes out of the kitchen and tells me that he is terrified. According to him he was cooking and all of a sudden he heard loud heavy footsteps in a circle in the hallway. Even the dogs look up and watch whatever it is move around. He tries to ignore it and go back to cooking and then out of the corner of his eye he sees what he can only describe as a child's face peek around the corner and watch him cook. That was the most terrified I have ever seen him.

Things slowly began to settle down and by the time we finally moved (after a year and a half) there was little to no occurrences left. When things were very active I brought in a paranormal team who did two investigations on the house and found nothing. They told me that whatever it was was not an intelligent haunting, more like residual (think of burning toast and smelling it in the kitchen for hours.) It probably didn't even know we were there.

Whatever it was left an impression on us and we still talk about our first haunted house. After that we moved more into the country and had a much more peaceful experience. There have been a few very minute instances that creeped us out but nothing like before. We do have to wonder if what was there may have followed us and will keep doing so.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Moody1989, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-07-12)
Moody
There are spirits many more places than most people would realize.
In fact, most people would be stunned. There are spirits living in
Places that show NO signs of activity. NONE. You could live in a
House your entire life and if they didn't want you to know they were there, you wouldn't. Plain and simple
And may I add that Rjgilmore is 100 percent correct when he says that
Spirits are not puppets. They are living people that no longer have
Their old worn out body.

I really enjoyed your story by the way.
Keep us updated on any current activity if you don't mind.

Have a great day
Randy
Moody1989 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-12)
That makes a lot of sense, thanks rjgilmore! It really never occurred to me of a spirit/ghost making the choice to not communicate.
rjgilmore (2 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-12)
Whoops! Correction. I meant to say by the town where I worked there was a bookstore* I didn't mean to put that I worked there. I did not.
rjgilmore (2 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-07-12)
I just wanted to let you know... I am a paranormal investigator and also a bit of a medium. BUT... I will say a there was a bookstore where I worked that was really haunted. It used to be a movie theater. Now it is a bookstore, with a black-box theater in the back. They still have plays and show old time movies there.

Anyhow, they had many teams come and investigate. One in particular stood. He had come in and he was a bit cocky and arrogant. The ghosts were giving him and his team nothing. No evidence. That is until him and his team sat down in a circle and told the ghosts to give them a sign and they would leave. A book behind him came off the shelf and fell by him. He was like, oh cool. Let's get investigating. But the owner made him AND his team leave because the ghosts did exactly what was asked.

My point of that is somehow, I think ghosts can pick up on the personality of some and if the ghosts didn't like them, they wouldn't give them anything. Just because they didn't get anything didn't mean the hauntings were residual nor that the house wasn't haunted. People forget spirits were once people. They aren't puppets and they won't always do what you ask or what you expect of them.

Furthermore, I believe your hauntings were intelligent and not residual in the least. If you had residual hauntings, you would have had the same things happening over and over - kind of like a VCR tape playing on a loop. It never changes. And the ghosts seemed to be aware of ya'll - like your husband hearing the little boy and even seeing him.

Thank you for sharing your story. I greatly enjoyed reviewing your experiences.
Moody1989 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-09)
Hi Dan & Dandelion, thanks for the comments!
To answer your question ever since I posted this I had a renewed curiosity in that house so I did a little digging but I don't know if I found anything to explain it. The best I could find is the house was built in 1942 but the first owner isn't listed until 1959. I looked her up & found her husband died in 1959 so I'm wondering if she didn't just inherit it when he died & they had been living there before. I also found they had a son who died in 1954, but he was around 32. The three of them are all buried together so maybe he was just very close to his parents, who's to say?
DandelionQueen (4 stories) (24 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-07-08)
Hi Moody - based on what you described, I would have a hard time believing that this was just residual. Poor little mite, looking for his mum! Stories about child ghosts always leave me with a huge lump in my throat. Fortunately I have yet to encounter one myself - hope I never do! Hopefully your presence in the house brought him some peace. Were you ever able to learn anything about previous people who lived there?
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-07)
Moody1989, thanks for sharing your experience. I enjoyed reading about the strange things that happened. I always wonder if the hauntings are from previous tenants or others that just find the place to be a good hang out. With children ghosts, I find I'm always worried about them and hope that they can find their way.

DandK
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-07)
lol Moody, it's been said on here numerous times before, ghosts are a notorious no show with any equipment near by! 😆
Thanks for the extra info about the area. I too feel saddened when places become neglected. I grew up in a few poor, rough parts of town with high crime rates. It was in one of these areas I encountered a child ghost, who also wanted her mother. Not nice things discovered after a bit of research. 😢 I figured it might be a similar situation with your little ghostie. Maybe you guys brought this child some comfort while you were there, I like to think so. 😊
Moody1989 (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-07-07)
Thanks for the fast comments and welcome guys!

Ashar- I definitely believe that on animals (and children) I think they are just so much more innocent and less jaded so they can see what we chose to ignore.

Tweed- You don't know the half of it on the landlord/neighborhood. What I found interesting though was that right before we moved I found out that when the neighborhood was built it was Military Family housing for the Navy Base in North Charleston. I've seen photos, it was suburbia in the 60's. Around the 70's or 80's it fell to disrepair and people just stopped caring (shame, it could have been a beautiful place to live)
The paranormal team did seem a bit, off. It was a man and woman, the woman was great and very sweet/understanding. The guy seemed kind of full of himself and kept bragging that he "plays with the big boys" of paranormal investiagions. They didn't pick up any readings with the electromagnetic (I think I'm using that term right) device so they said they couldn't rule it as an intelligent haunting. That and nothing happened the nights they were there (the washer never makes that sound when you call the repairman!)
But all in all we weren't really worried, we really just had it investigated to reassure us we weren't crazy. If it had felt malevolent then we would have definitely looked into a cleansing
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-07-07)
Moody, that paranormal team must have been a bunch of idiots. A girl peeking around the corner and the covers being pulled from your bed?! Urhg not to mention a dodgy landlord.
It sounds like both of your energies filled the house with positive energy over time and calmed this creepyness down eventually. Even still, the neighbourhood sounded pretty bad, which would've had a lot to do with the sort of experiences you had there in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing.

Oh, are you aware of cleansing/shielding? Look into this if you're concerned something followed you.
ashar123 (6 stories) (168 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-07)
Animals can see sometimes somethings what the human eyes couldn't that was surely the reason for the mysterious barking of the dogs.

The ghost seems bit michievious 😆 yet its creapy.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to YGS. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: